• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How would you make daylight hours/weather more realistic?

Currently the daylight hours are set to June 21st meaning it gets dark at 9pm (game time) and lights up at 4am like here in Oregon and I wish for longer nights as I love horse riding in the moonlight. Not enough of that! :time:. Maybe have some monsters hibernate in the winter months.

And Hebra mountains being more like this in terms of daylight hours and effects: The Subarctic Climate - Secrets of World Climate #10 - YouTube

Last edited:

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Seasons would be a little bit too in-depth imo, but I did notice how short the night hours were in BotW. I kinda liked that because most games I've played with a day/night cycle it always seemed to be night, but sometimes the night wasn't long enough.

Seasons would be a little bit too in-depth imo, but I did notice how short the night hours were in BotW. I kinda liked that because most games I've played with a day/night cycle it always seemed to be night, but sometimes the night wasn't long enough.
I feel like BOTW's night as over before it began. I felt like I was up in Juneau or Fairbanks Alaska!

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Currently the daylight hours are set to June 21st meaning it gets dark at 9pm (game time) and lights up at 4am like here in Oregon and I wish for longer nights as I love horse riding in the moonlight. Not enough of that! :time:. Maybe have some monsters hibernate in the winter months.

And Hebra mountains being more like this in terms of daylight hours and effects: The Subarctic Climate - Secrets of World Climate #10 - YouTube

I don't know if I'd like persistent seasons in a game like Zelda. It'd be cool to see, but I feel like it could take focus away from other gameplay elements.

I don't know if I'd like persistent seasons in a game like Zelda. It'd be cool to see, but I feel like it could take focus away from other gameplay elements.
Seasons wouldn't have to be persistent. For example one winter could have more rain or snow then others by checking various perimeters. One winter could be a mild winter with little snow causing drought the next spring or the next could have a lot more winter. In real life air masses don't stay the same due to
Bernoulli's Principle
NWS JetStream - Learning Lesson: Going with the Flow (weather.gov)
Discussion
The affect is Bernoulli's principle in action, named after the Dutch/Swiss mathematician/scientist Daniel Bernoulli. By blowing between the two cans, you are making the air between them move faster than the surrounding air (which is basically calm). The cans roll together as the higher pressure surrounding the two cans (away from the air flow) pushes the cans together toward the region of lower pressure.

Congrats if you read this far: You win a a red rupee!

In other words high goes to low pressure the best it can do so. I'd love to see that in the next Zelda game if it takes place in the sky. You'd have to take into account upper wind flows which steer weather above a certain height. It will mess up or help you with your flying.

I'd make it so that the sky turns ominous for a while before it rains, instead of the rain starting, AND THEN the sky getting dark. That way it wouldn't piss so many people off. It would instead be a thing that makes you anticipate the incoming storm, and factor it into your plans. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't do that originally.

As AncientPoe said it’s annoying that the sky is bright and dry, you start climbing and bam it rains!
If it was more realistic you could tell it was about to rain and go for some shelter!

As AncientPoe said it’s annoying that the sky is bright and dry, you start climbing and bam it rains!
If it was more realistic you could tell it was about to rain and go for some shelter!
I haven't got much rain lately in the game except brief showers while the sun is out riding my horse usually. Is something wrong with my game? Even in the jungle I hardly get any rain anymore except one area just past the waterfall stables where it's always storming no matter what but as soon as you leave that little section it's sunny again everywhere. I hope Hyrule is not having a drought? I hope water restrictions and water fights aren't the future. I certainly hope Hyrule doesn't suffer their own version of Oregon's fire last year.

I'm going thru this syndrome: Sharon, Lois & Bram - It Ain't Gonna Rain No More - YouTube

I'd love to see cumulous clouds first to appear and then they gather growing larger into these type: Cumulonimbus cloud - Wikipedia This is my last post since this forum is extreme in censorship. I escaped Reddit because of so many one sided posts. When did forums started cracking down?

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
I feel like realistic seasons would change the gameplay too much assuming there was actually snow. Along with the day/night cycle, most would finish the game only seeing two or three seasons anyways. Not worth the development time.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom