• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What Other Mythical Creatures Would You Like to See?

Pick some

• gryphon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • unicorn

• pegasus

• basilisk

• faun

• chimera

• centaur

• mermaid

• other

• Total voters

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
My vote's on Gryphon, cuz that would make for a pretty sweet fight, but a Basilisk would be cool to see Link get stoned :lol: also the mirror shield is an obvious application for that battle.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Shadsie said:
There could even be an issue with Epona being able to go into the gryphons' canyon or something because, traditionally, they eat horses. She could be scared and pull back, refusing to go.

There actually have been centaurs in the series. Waaaay back, the first game... Lynels were lion-headed centuars. They are my favorite Zelda mook monster.
That thing with Epona sounds awesome. And lynels...well, they might count I guess. Centaurs have the lower body of a horse, and the upper body of a human, not a lion, so I consider lynels to be different.

JuicieJ said:
lol That's exactly what the OP means by a mermaid.
I actually meant either way, enemy or ally.

ihateghirahim said:
Zelda's already had a mermaid, and some of those Great Fairys have filled in for them quite nicely.
They're great fairies, not great mermaids...but I see your point.

ShadowsofTime

The Hidden Triforce God
Throw a Chimera in the game and you've got yourself a boss fight. Though in my opinion, there's one creature of Japanese myth that would be perfect in any Water Temple or aquatic dungeon: the Isonade. This is also the exact same creature that the creature Ichirōmaru in the game Ōkami is based off of.

ichiromaru.jpg

I said Gryphon, Basilisk, and Chimera, merely because I think they could make some truly AWESOME boss fights!
You are so right about that. No way could you have a cooler fight then creatures taht breathe fire, turn you to stone, or kill with one glare.

Last edited:

Omniscient Link

Deity of Courage
I want to see a Baphomet in the Zelda games (shouldn't it be called Link games instead, eh?), it'll be grand to see Link fighting a Baphomet (also known as the Devil\s leader in some lores).

Z

Zylian

When I think about it, some of the creatures listed have already been used in zelda games, in a different shape.
Mermaids, for example, are creates living and breathing underwater. Slightly adapted to live as well under as above water, you got the Zora's
Dragons, I thought about the design for Molgera in windwaker ( I just beat him today so it came to mind ) and the king of the red lions sorta reminds me of a chinese-styled dragon too
But, at the other hand, I would love it if they used the original idea for these creatures in the game series.
Might be intresting (for me ) to draw out some sketches x3

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I never really liked mermaids, but I like all the cool, deadly creatures. I think some more dragon-y type dragons. (Like Argok, not the Skyward Sword dragons.)

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Lynels... are different in different games. In some games, they have the lower body of a lion or tiger, a human torso, then the head of a lion/tiger... but in the original game, the first Legend of Zelda, they were almost staight-up centaurs. They had the horse body, human torso and lion heads. It was hard to tell just what they were in the actual game, but their official manual art has captivated me ever since before a lot of you were born. I have been awaiting a return of classic Lynels to the games (particularly a 3D version envisioning of the monsters) and have been... sad.

I'm keeping my vote for gryphons, but I've been trying to think of mythological creatures that haven't been mentioned that would be a good addition...

I could see banshees as a more dangerous version of poes. I could see a screaming banshee as a boss, something you have to fight around to fight, lest Link be stricken by the soundwaves.

I could see a fight with a pair of or a group of harpies as being something like the Twinrova fight. Think about it... circling harpies that swoop down, trying to part poor Link from his liver...

Manticore! I can't believe I'd forgotten this beastie. One of them plays a sort-of-villain in a novel I wrote (where one of the two main characters is a gryphon...). A manticore is a beast with a lion's body, a man's face, three rows of razor-teeth set in a shark-jaw-of-doom and a big scoripion's tail. In some of the lore, they could shoot poison barbs from the end of the tail. They are voracious man-eaters. This could be a creature that not only bears its teeth and leaps agiliy like a lion, it could present a posion-risk for Link, shoud Nintendo wish to introduce poisoning as a hazard (like what is present in Pokemon). This could be the perfect application for a world that also has gryphons because Link's collection of a "gryphon's claw" (or a bunch of them) can allow a poiton maker to make an antidote, which he will need for the later boss battle with the manticore-based monster.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
Manticore! I can't believe I'd forgotten this beastie. One of them plays a sort-of-villain in a novel I wrote (where one of the two main characters is a gryphon...). A manticore is a beast with a lion's body, a man's face, three rows of razor-teeth set in a shark-jaw-of-doom and a big scoripion's tail. In some of the lore, they could shoot poison barbs from the end of the tail. They are voracious man-eaters. This could be a creature that not only bears its teeth and leaps agiliy like a lion, it could present a posion-risk for Link, shoud Nintendo wish to introduce poisoning as a hazard (like what is present in Pokemon).

YES.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Ah, I do have the page I made for the manticore in my book on this computer:

Strictly my interpretation on the monster - as it appears in an original world that I wrote.... If you want to see more manticores, you can do an online search for images and lore. (I have an old Time/Life "Mysteries of the Unknown" book published in the early 90's with a *really* creepy interpretation of one).

beastiarymanticore.jpg

Imagine something like this coming after Link in some secluded rock-canyon or ancient dungeon. In Medieval lore, I think they reputed to roam the jungles of India, so a boss such as this could be waiting at the end of an Indian-art inspired dungeon.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I cannot believe I forgot about harpies...manticores and banshees sound awesome too. I really like the idea of two harpies for a boss, and the banshee being like a mix between a redead and a poe...I can't decide whether I prefer the banshee scream to be like the redead scream and freeze you or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom