• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Makes DGN a Community?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Gotta do a reboot of this thread. Anywho, I'll be frank: there have been several resignations among various groups, and they all had one thing in common, and that one thing was some gripe with some member among what we call the ZD Community. Well...what exactly makes us a community, do you think? Yeah, we all throw punches and jabs at times, but...

Lord Vain

Dawn of a New Day
Well, for me it's just the friends I've made that makes this site a "Community", ZD does indeed have it's ups and it's downs but overall we're still all members of the same site and most of the active members are decent in my book...as are the forums as a whole for that matter. The Mods and other higher-ups do their best to keep things as peaceful as possible around here, so personally I would say it's a good enough Community, could be better of course but so could just about everything else in life.

A general ease of communication among members fosters a community of people who know each other. You can post in threads, send visitor or private messages, create blog entries, or converse in the Shoutbox. Then, there’s also Skype and the various group chats offered there. New members are always welcome. Although this calendar year is still fairly fresh, there are already new members who contribute consistently thoughtful posts like Clank and Snoober. While members are the bread and butter of any forum, the attitude of its moderators is significant as well. There were many forums I wanted to like but couldn’t because the mods were trolls. Fortunately, that’s not the case with the DGN boards.

DGN isn't much of a community in my eyes. In the time that I've been here I've noticed that it's quite ridiculously chaotic. There are hate groups dedicated to single individuals, grudges that last years, cliques formed by people who don't hate each other to hate other cliques, constant blaming on other people with little to no evidence to support the claim because of some kind of "history" or grudge, among other things. It seems as though drama all too naturally manifests itself in this community, people are quick to blame someone in one group no matter what the problem. It's quite ridiculous in my eyes.

DGN would be a much more comfortable community to be around if every one just... stopped all the gossip, or at least stopped taking gossip to heart. It feels really weird when you see someone criticizing you for something you did a year before, especially if you've never met them before. This has happened to me quite a few times, I still have yet to see any real evidence that I'm nearly like I was so long ago.

Also, learn to not make it obvious that you dislike a person when you're talking to them in public. I've seen this so many times and I'm sure others have as well. It's uncomfortable, for that person and every one active in the shoutbox. You're in public, have some control. This may be a community, but it is also a forum on the Internet, grudges and gossip just seem so ridiculous to me, and it only hurts the community.

octorok74

TETTAC
The arguments. We argue just like a real community, just in real communities it is hard to ban someone. That is how I think we are a community.

The vast majority of the people here are really nice people. In general, we aren't a big group of trolls, we're a big group of people who came here to talk. And we do. I've made friends here, met people I think I can sympathize with. That's what makes us a community--that we care about this place being a community. If we didn't, we'd have nothing.

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
there have been several resignations among various groups, and they all had one thing in common, and that one thing was some gripe with some member among what we call the ZD Community.

Not sure exactly what/who your talking about, but I can think of two recent resignations, and I know one of them had no inner meaning behind it. :P

DGN would be a much more comfortable community to be around if every one just... stopped all the gossip, or at least stopped taking gossip to heart. It feels really weird when you see someone criticizing you for something you did a year before, especially if you've never met them before. This has happened to me quite a few times, I still have yet to see any real evidence that I'm nearly like I was so long ago.

That's one thing that has always really bothered me. When I see newbies hating on members after a few days of posting it makes me really angry, because that means someone has decided to "recruit" them in their little clique of hate. They are easy targets, when your new obviously you want a group of friends to talk to and if that means taking on their enemies some people are willing to jump on the bandwagon.

With that said....

ZD is still the least drama-filled forum I've ever been apart of in my 10 years of foruming (at least valid drama), and most of the members are actually really nice people just interseted in making friends and posting their thoughts on various subjects. :) Which is really what forums are for after all, so I think that makes ZD a pretty darn great community. Yes there are troublemakers, but I really do think that it's the case of a vocal minority. There are just a few people who tend to "blow up" isolated events on ZD quickly over things that really are not all that important or interesting in the first place. They stress other members out who might have not thought twice about it and misleads them into thinking that they must know something they don't, and then conspiracy theories ensue.

My advice to the haters: Think about why you "hate" a particular person or group. Is it even a valid reason? Maybe it is, but are they even worth the time and trouble you spend brewing over their very existence? Instead of gossiping about what thread they are currently viewing with your friends, TALK to the people you have a problem with (especially you newbies who got dragged into a previously existing feud) and at least give them a chance before writing them off. And if you still decided to hate someone, please realize that not everyone is interested in taking sides, and leave others out of it.

A little bit of respect for each other can go a long way. If everyone would just follow the first rule of the forum to heart- not thinking of it as a rule, but as common courtesy- there would be a lot less silly drama and rumors floating around. :pikalove:

Last edited:
Eh the weird little hater group phenomenon is such a small part of the ZD community, in reality. I've been on here for over three years and monitored it happening and dealt with it as a moderator as well as just have plenty of periods of not dealing with it at all both as a mod and during my last two periods of being a regular member. I can safely say that it's always a really small amount of people who get into that mentality considering the board overall. Just don't worry about it and it goes away. Always does. As Hachi said, it's a very vocal minority; most everyone else just doesn't care and moves on to have fun here.

Every large group has a few snags here and there, and the more people you have the more chance that bad blood between people is going to develop more often. It's a consequence of having such a large community, particularly one that's large enough that not everyone knows everyone else extremely well. But, once again as Hachi said, this really is one of the least drama-filled, and overall nicest communities I've ever been to.

What makes it a community is the same thing that makes everything a community: We're a group of people who gather with some common ground or common purpose. We all are here to talk about Zelda. About Pokemon. About Darksiders. And about gaming in general. We have our disagreements and our debates, but that's what the forums are for, and the vast majority of the time everyone is cool with those disagreements. We all continue to befriend each other and talk about the series because that's what we all came here to do. :) And then, along the way we get to know each other as people, and it becomes as much about each other as it does about Zelda. ^^

Dan

Oh I've been waiting for a thread like this for so long now. :')

Okay well where do we begin, firstly calling this community is a complete UNDERSTATEMENT. We are like a family for goodness sake, we LOVE each other. We would never gossip behind peoples backs, like ever. We are way too good for that, because we are amazing! You know the amount I respect and love I see from everyone here is just simply great, I love it. We all treat each other with love and care. We act mature and tell people our problems with each other directly. I mean could you IMAGINE, if we actually *****ed about each other, and what not, hahaha that would be crazy. Haha I know whenever I'm on ZD I can make plenty of friends that would NEVER later U-turn on me, and start hating on the great and mighty Dan and ANYONE else for that fact. We aren't like any other community, we are the PERFECT community.

You know the thing I LOVE about this community mostly here, is that EVERYONE is treated EQUALLY. Like this place isn't a popularity contest, everyone gets their say. That is simply why I love this community. Oh AND THE BEST PART ABOUT ZD IS there is NO DRAMA what so ever. Haha unlike most forums. GOD BLESS ZD, I think the entire world should learn from ZD and that everyone should act and behave like us on ZD. :) We are the greatest group of human beings around. :')

Hanyou

didn't build that
Oh, this?

1. We don't know why anyone's resigned from anything--at least, I don't, and I don't think most of us do.

2. ZD ain't perfect, but it's still a pretty great forum. I enjoy posting here and reading people's posts, which is why I visit pretty much every day. I think I managed to make a couple of people angry at me a while back, but I haven't heard from them since then and I have no problems with them, so whatever. Funny things happen here.

3. People like to dramatize things sometimes, but that's the case with most forums, and drama here is kept to a minimum. So that's another reason ZD's a good community; while there seems to be some drama among some groups, it's generally easy enough to stay out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom