• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Kinds of Dungeons Do You NOT Want in SS?

What Kinds of Dungeons do you Now want is SS?

• Fire

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water

• Grass

• Aerial

• Desert

• Total voters
M

Morningspirit23

Based on previous Zelda games, what kind of dungeons should not be in Skyward Sword???

Aelic7

The Young Drifter
I almost said Grass, but then I realized something. I've never liked any of Zelda's water dungeons. The Ocean Temple in ST didn't even have any water in it, the Lakebed Temple from TP was boring, the Great Bay Temple from MM was confusing, and the Water Temple from OoT was...yeah. I voted for Water. Also, we've already seen both Fire and Aerial (kind of) dungeons in the demos and trailers, so we can already count those in the game. As for desert, I would actually really like to see another desert dungeon. The Spirit Temple from OoT remains one of my favorite dungeons ever, and the Arbiter's Grounds from TP wasn't too bad either. We did see a brief clip in the GDC trailer where Link was in a desert fighting a rolling enemy, so I'm crossing my fingers hoping that there will be a desert dungeon.

It's not so much the type but what they do with the type. Like, I don't mind water, but hopefully it's not just another dungeon based on puzzles where you pull levers and raise the water levels.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Hello, earthlings: I'm one of those rare individuals that loves all of water-based dungeons for whatever reason and I thought TP's was the best one yet.

Personally, I've never been very fond of fire dungeons, and even there I've gotta admit that they're very well made (and have the coolest bosses).

I was kinda confused by the poll.

I like all of these. I don't really know how to answer the question, since I've never consistently hated each kind of dungeon throughout the series. I'm very wishy-washy about it. ...water, I guess?

Djinn

and Tonic
I am a little burned out on the usual Forest, Fire, Water, routine. It has been done repeatedly since OoT and I really wish for something a little different. Almost to the point where I could do without them since they always bring the same hazards and puzzles each time they appear. A temple that is 3/4 underwater and somehow you must use water as a means of opening doors, moving blocks, or draining the water from rooms. A temple that is built over a volcano with plenty of bridges hanging over lava, with fire keese that light up everything they touch, while everything else breathes fire. Or a temple built in the woods with lots of vines grown over every wall, lots of climbing, swinging, and generally wind is an important aspect. These are almost like classic Mario style platformer levels where the player expects to encounter a swimming level, a lava level, and a forest vine swinging level. There should be a little bit of variety sometime.

Of the other choices listed above, I actually think they could work out if they were done a little differently than before. First I would like to see a dessert dungeon that is actually a little more than a standard dungeon that just so happens to have an Egyptian theme. Desert dungeons never seem to stand out in any special way to me. Normally they are only unique in having a few more traps and puzzles that involve sand or sunlight. But nothing that takes over the entire theme like the completely underwater Water Temples or the constant lava pits and fire elemental enemies of the Fire dungeons. The typical desert temple is lazy when compared, there rarely is an overall theme seen throughout other than the aesthetic look of an Egyptian temple. I would like a little variation on the desert aspect, maybe have large parts of the dungeon/temple be outdoors, even during a sandstorm. The sun could be a larger hazard than any of the traps or enemies.

I do not remember a grass dungeon, so I assume you meant forest/nature themed dungeon. But I never actually thought about a real grass themed dungeon before. Cutting grass and discovering hidden secrets underneath has been a common aspect of the series for many years now. It might be interesting to theme a dungeon around that concept. A temple where all the puzzles, switches, and items are deeply hidden underneath grass, vines, or any other thicket you have to slice with your sword. The enemies hidden in the grass alone would add to the challenge.

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
I voted for grass. Which you should have listed as forest, for others would be less confused. But I'm sooooo sick of the forest temples. They're in every game. The Forest Haven in windwaker drove me crazy. The music in the Forest temple in OoT worried me and I always thought some enemy was following me, like a keese.(Paranoid a bit? Probably. :P) Also, I thought the Swamp in MM was a fail. Just my opinion though.

Nickster

Sensei Sampai Sama
I don't really care about the theme of the dungeon, but the difficulty is what I care about. I want to see hard, challenging dungeons that can make me rage quit and try again, with a boss that's challenging to fight.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
None. I want all those themes mentioned in the poll and more. I love themed dungeons, and do not see why they should leave out anything. We can already wipe out Arial, as the Demo at E3 had the Sky Temple, which fits in that category. (I answered this question amusing that there was a typo in the poll title.)

Of the other choices listed above, I actually think they could work out if they were done a little differently than before. First I would like to see a dessert dungeon that is actually a little more than a standard dungeon that just so happens to have an Egyptian theme.

About this, I highly doubt they will do anything like this, as the Fire Temple in Ocarina of Time had like a Muslim theme will the chanting and all, and Nintendo got in trouble for doing that, so I think they'll avoid this to stay out of unnecessary trouble.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I say aerial because a good portion of the game is in the sky and of the overworld is like a dungeon as the developers have said then maybe it would be better if their wasnt one. Plus the other choices were staples to the series that I dont want to see go.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
the Fire Temple in Ocarina of Time had like a Muslim theme will the chanting and all, and Nintendo got in trouble for doing that
They didn't. That's an urban legend which has been debunked.

Back to topic.

Like Djinn, I'm tired of the Forest/Fire/Water trifecta that we get again and again and again and again, usually as the first three temples. Ocarina of Time alone goes through those themes twice. In a row. Wind Waker has the order changed (fire, forest, water) and another forest temple later in the game. And if I never have to rotate that stupid staircase from Twilight Princess again, it will still be too soon. Just kidding, I love you, Twilight Princess.
Nintendo seems to think that repeating that all too familiar formula ad infinitum will please us fans, playing up the nostalgia angle. But they fail to see that most of the time, all it does is remind us of better temples. The water dungeon from Majora's Mask felt more like a chore than like an exciting adventure. Wind Waker's fire temple was visually stunning, but the dungeon layout and the puzzles were rather mediocre.
Another dungeon type I'm really tired of is ice. Ever since Link to the Past, there have been slippery surfaces, freeze-breathing enemies, massive ice cubes you have to push around etc. Even when it's not a full dungeon, you get things like the Ice Cavern in OoT or the Ice Ring Isle in WW. Twilight Princess brought some new impulses with the Snowpeak Ruins, but the familiar elements were still there. And I'm growing tired of them.

Here's one not on the poll: Something like the Shadow Temple from OoT. All of the hidden walls were way too confusing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom