• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What kind of a person are you?

Daku Rinku

On Break (Will Not Be Online for Now)
ZD Champion
funnnnnnnnnnnnn-png.41155

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
Regardless, I do agree Myers-Briggs personality tests aren't scientifically based, they're still fun.

If you want a better test of your personality that is based on sound psychological science, that would be the Big 5 Personality Model.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
Regardless, I do agree Myers-Briggs personality tests aren't scientifically based, they're still fun.

If you want a better test of your personality that is based on sound psychological science, that would be the Big 5 Personality Model.
Is that like The Four Humors: Choleric, Sanguine, Phlegmatic, and Melancholy?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Legend
Is that like The Four Humors: Choleric, Sanguine, Phlegmatic, and Melancholy?
No, the Big 5 Personality Model measures unique traits of the individual based on five factors:
  • Openness to Experience: (Inventive/Curious vs. Consistent/Cautious).
  • Conscientiousness: (Efficient/Organized vs. Extravagant/Careless).
  • Extroversion: (Outgoing/Energetic vs. Solitary/Reserved).
  • Agreeableness: (Friendly/Compassionate vs. Critical/Judgmental).
  • Neuroticism: (Sensitive/Nervous vs. Resilient/Confident).
Unlike Myers-Briggs, the Big 5 Personality Model treats each factor as a spectrum, not a category, so thus, it's more accurate and useful in psychological tests, has better predictive explanations for personality, and good explanatory power.

That said, since it is statistically driven, not theory driven, that is, it depends on how the participants answer, it does have some limited scope. So that's a valid critique of it. There's differences cross-culturally, demonstrating that genotypic personality traits that are innate get modified significantly by phenotypic expressions of personality across cultures.

That is to say, you'll get different results depending on the temperament you're born with, and the culture you were raised in. So that's one big critique of the Big 5 Personality Model.

That said, it's the one that has been vindicated the most, so it remains useful.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
No, the Big 5 Personality Model measures unique traits of the individual based on five factors:
  • Openness to Experience: (Inventive/Curious vs. Consistent/Cautious).
  • Conscientiousness: (Efficient/Organized vs. Extravagant/Careless).
  • Extroversion: (Outgoing/Energetic vs. Solitary/Reserved).
  • Agreeableness: (Friendly/Compassionate vs. Critical/Judgmental).
  • Neuroticism: (Sensitive/Nervous vs. Resilient/Confident).
Unlike Myers-Briggs, the Big 5 Personality Model treats each factor as a spectrum, not a category, so thus, it's more accurate and useful in psychological tests, has better predictive explanations for personality, and good explanatory power.

That said, since it is statistically driven, not theory driven, that is, it depends on how the participants answer, it does have some limited scope. So that's a valid critique of it. There's differences cross-culturally, demonstrating that genotypic personality traits that are innate get modified significantly by phenotypic expressions of personality across cultures.

That is to say, you'll get different results depending on the temperament you're born with, and the culture you were raised in. So that's one big critique of the Big 5 Personality Model.

That said, it's the one that has been vindicated the most, so it remains useful.
Yeah this test, the one everyone is taking in this thread asked similar questions.

Its helpful, but some questions I am forced to put a middle dot answer of neither yes or no.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
I know and am aware of the point but I know myself and they somehow nailed it.
Yeah, that's what I mean. They use general broadly appealing statements/human commonalities that you read and think "oh that's true" because it's true of many people

Same way horoscopes work
In this sense, the pokemon personality test is way cooler because it gives you a pokemon association

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Legend
Another valid point but there were some things that really struck it home. I am not believing everything it says, I am just amazed at how close it is.

Daku Rinku

ZD Champion
Another valid point but there were some things that really struck it home. I am not believing everything it says, I am just amazed at how close it is.
I found it insightful, it gave words for my way of approaching things. Which only helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom