• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Musical Guilty Pleasure?

What is your musical guilty pleasure?

Personally, mine is Taylor Swift. Now that you know, I'm obligated to warn you that if you tell ANYONE, I'll kill you. ;)

bunny

birb overlord
Hunter Hayes.

I usually can't stand anything even close to country, but he's so cute, and so is his music and just sdhjfsjakf

._.

I don't believe there is such a thing has having guilty pleasures in music. Either you like something or you don't. :P I can't understand feeling bad about enjoying something that you like. There's nothing wrong with listening to modern pop music if you're into it or if you like something absurdly out of your 'comfort zone' in comparison to what you and your friends like to listen to.

But if I had to answer the question, it's not a guilty pleasure but I always get weird looks for it is blasting cheesy Scandinavian Power Metal.

Reactions: Dan

Big Octo

=^)
Never Going to Give You Up...

I actually enjoy this song... If only Rickrolling was as common as it was in 2006...

Normally, I'm a heavy rock/metal person... but dance music is my guilty pleasure...

That one to me is strange. I'm the same way, I've pretty much "converted" over from listening to heavy rock and metal to listening to EDM considerably (Though I don't feel guilty). I've even noticed some musicians make that same move, take Tommy Lee for instance.

My guilty pleasure?
This → The Immaculate Collection (1990)

Myriadviper42

Fulcrum Agent
I'm an alt/prog guy, but I enjoy some pop music that anyone who knew me would not guess in a thousand years I'd ever like them.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I don't really agree with the term 'guilty pleasure' either, because it just means you are classifying things by genre instead of by good and bad. If you go oh I don't listen to x genre of music then you might miss out on one great song you would love even if you hate all other music of that type. It's just the way people with unskilled ears classify music in my opinion. It also shows music is more about image to you than it is about art. Which is why a lot of people with this kind of view only care to listen to manufactured, autotuned stuff. I like my own fair share of that stuff (One Direction is as close to a guilty pleasure as I probably have, but I only like, like 2 of their songs anyway). And I would have to say as a whole I dislike techno and dubstep, but that's not to say I would dismiss it entirely.

Other artists I'm less comfortable liking include Coldplay: I for years tried so hard not to like them because they're annoying and whiny, but they're also good. So whatever. I'm out of the Coldplay closet. I can't really think of anything else though. I'm proud I like all sorts of music- metal, country, pop punk, rock'n'roll...

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I don't really agree with the term 'guilty pleasure' either, because it just means you are classifying things by genre instead of by good and bad. If you go oh I don't listen to x genre of music then you might miss out on one great song you would love even if you hate all other music of that type. It's just the way people with unskilled ears classify music in my opinion. It also shows music is more about image to you than it is about art. Which is why a lot of people with this kind of view only care to listen to manufactured, autotuned stuff. I like my own fair share of that stuff (One Direction is as close to a guilty pleasure as I probably have, but I only like, like 2 of their songs anyway). And I would have to say as a whole I dislike techno and dubstep, but that's not to say I would dismiss it entirely.
I agree with that, although I don't think that guilty pleasure ALWAYS means discrimination by genre. I agree that not liking a whole genre is sad, but I don't think that having a "guilty pleasure" is bad. I mean, like you said, liking One Direction can be embarassing -- not even necessarily because of the genre, but simply because of the reputation it and its fans have.

That being said... if I have a guilty pleasure, I guess it's listening to My Little Pony music... XD Of course, most of my friends know that I like to watch MLP: FiM so it's not really a big secret or anything; it's just a bit weird when I'm in public somewhere and the My Little Pony theme song is playing through my headphones, hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom