• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is the Hardest Modern Game You've Ever Played?

we all know that now a days, games are nowhere near as hard as they used to be, but some games still manage to get close to the sheer amount of difficulty the classics had, so what are the hardest of the modern games you''ve played? the hardest one i've played was the Bionic Commando reimagining for the 360, ps3, and PC (not talking about Rearmed, i'm talking about the one where Spencer has a completely different character design)

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
I do not know if it counts but I did try to play God of War II on Gods mode (I believe that is what it is called). I could not get past the first boss battle and I understood that it would take me years to beat the game under those circumstances! (And I am not sure that I would do it even after years of training)

There are probably games that are even more difficult (especially if you choose a "more difficult" mode) but I gave an opinion :)

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Do you count browser games? Because I Wanna Be The Guy is my pick if they do. That game is famous 'cause of how sadistically hard it is.

EDIT: I wanted to include a link to the game, but apparently, it can only be played by downloading it (where I've seen, that is).

You can find a lot of playthoughs of it in YouTube, not sure if I'm allowed to put them up because there's blood in it.

Last edited:
lol it's actually quite funny, there's so very few hard modern games that you have to go with difficulty settings and browser games that's how downhill the difficulty of these games have gone, keep that in mind

yea i'm all up for browser games i have nothing against them, it's just when you're trying to remember what modern game was hardest for you, nothing comes up from the 360, PS3, Wii, ect. unless you're going to use a higher difficulty setting as your pick, or at least some sort of reboot of a classic game like Megaman Maverick Hunter X or something like that, so your best option is to pick a game that isn't on those platforms but something you can play on the computer that you don't even have to pay for, yea there are still a few difficult games regardless of a difficulty setting like what you said Limbo, Demon's Souls, and DKC Returns, or like what i said Bionic Commando but when you stop and think it's a bit hard, i mean back then it was easy to pick what game is hardest because you have a lot to choose from like Zelda 2, the Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania trilogy, the Megaman games, ect. i mean i don't know about you but i can only think of 6 modern games that give me a classic style challenge regardless of a difficulty level

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
i mean back then it was easy to pick what game is hardest because you have a lot to choose from like Zelda 2, the Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania trilogy, the Megaman games, ect.

Thank you for reminding me! This actually made me think of another game I bought for my PS3, Ninja Gaiden Sigma. That game was actually a lot tougher than the famous NES triology. When I played the NES titles I could at least reach the final boss. And for what I have heard there is a game for the XBOX that is even harder and it is Ninja Gaiden Black, considered one of the most difficult games of all time.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth for the first Xbox. Such a great concept (adapting Lovecraft's "Shadow over Innsmouth" as a First Person Action Adventure with an Eternal Darkness style sanity bar), but very early on, there's a stealth mission that gets really frustrating really fast. From what I've heard, it doesn't get any easier after that. I wouldn't know, I eventually gave up and moved on to other games.

Hmmm... Perhaps I should give it another go...

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I'm not a very talented gamer, so most of my games are difficult and frustrating for me. One frustrating game I can remember is Rachet and Clank, especially the final boss fight. Adventure of Link is also a bit too difficult for me. After two palaces filled with death and frustration I stopped playing it. I'm not talented enough to stay alive long enough to finish the third palace.

N

NicNiku

Demon's Souls is the next game for me to tackle. I've tried it twice now to now avail. Rage quit after many failed attempts. Think I managed to beat world 1-2 before giving up last. So here's hoping that the third time truly is a charm! LOL Recently beat DCK Returns too. Not too bad for difficulty until you reach one of those levels with the annoying barrel rockets. GRRR! >__<

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm similar to Smitie in that a lot of games are difficult for me, even if others find them easy. Not that I found it hard by any means, but I still died in TP like 10 times.
However, for actual hardest game (this is also keeping in mind that I don't play many games) I would have to say Pokemon White. Then maybe GoldenEye for the Wii (but just the higher difficulty settings). Those two games, especially pokemon, have frusturated me to no end. I've pretty sure I've have White for like 1.5 months and I've played it for 10 hours. GoldenEye though, is still the type of ggame where I want to keep playing, so I am less likely to turn it off and leave it for months at a time.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Donkey Kong Country Returns was pretty hard. Especially with a partner, it starts getting almost impossible to not die in a level as you advance.

Halo Reach on Legendary would have to be another one. The elites are already smart and can kick a** but on Legendary it's unbelievable. You have to waste everything you got in your gun to just to kill one. Legendary has you picking up any gun you can find just to survive.

Star Wars the Force Unleashed and Bayonetta share the same story. On normal it's already challenging and on top of that they want you to do it on hard and oh wait, there's something harder then hard. In SWTFU I can barley get passed the first level. So much health gone so fast (as if that wasn't a problem on Normal) and the bosses are just so time consuming.

Alan Wake on Nightmare. You get less ammo and everyone is harder and the odds are overwhelming. I'm not one to run from a fight but that's the best option on Nightmare mode. I found myself in the middle of nowhere with over more then ten taken throwing things at me, trying to slash me, and just rushing at me. I did what was smart and just kept running and blinding them bit by bit until I reached a safe haven. First you need to rid the taken of the darkness with light and then shoot them dead. So yeah, over ten enemies at once is a real challenge. Basically you need to play it smart, it's all about skill.

Sonic the Hedgehog 06, but it's not hard because the game is difficult. It's hard because the game is so damn glitchy. The camera is the real enemy.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is considered a modern game, but one game that drove me nuts was Contra: Shattered Soldier for the PS2. I've always been a fan of the Contra series and don't mind difficult games, but this game was pretty frustrating. You had to pretty much be perfect and keep playing each level dozens of times and memorize everything to get through the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom