• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

WW-Wii U What Does Everyone Think About the Great Sea in Wind Waker?

Big Octo

=^)
Y'know, everyone says it takes so long to sail, but I beg to differ. I timed myself, and it takes about 1 minute to travel all the way across a sector. Sure it takes a while, if you stop at every island that's in your path! Also, there are always warps.

I also noticed something that correlates with Big Octos. Do you notice how there are two different types of sea calmness? There's calm, which has no tide at all and is usually found at large and major islands. This type also occurs in areas with Big Octos. The other type is rough seas, where the water looks like rings of whitewash. Big Octos cannot be found here, but here's what I found out: If you defeat a Big Octo, the water in that area will change from calm to rough. That's all I've noticed at this point.

Here are some visual aids:
200px-Star_belt.jpg220px-7star.jpg
Rough --------------Calm

It bothered me because it was too big and boring like most ppl say. My main problem with it was the fact you had to mark your charts along the way which dragged out travel time.

When I think of Wind Waker I don't think of the Great Sea. I think of the Wind Temple, which in my opinion was a great temple. But when I boot up my GameCube, I start sailing and the bad memorys all come back XD
I would like it better If it took 30 seconds to cross a sector, which would make everything seem alot less isolated.

When I first played Wind Waker, I enjoyed pretty much everything about it.

When I recently went back and replayed Wind Waker, I found the sailing to be tedious and slow. I felt like a kid in the back seat of a long car ride, frequently asking, "Are we there yet?" And you can't just set a heading and leave it on autopilot while you do other stuff because you might run into a shark or something. Even then, they're easy to dodge by just weaving back and forth, making them more of an annoyance than a threat.

Fede-hime

All about the treasure
I enjoyed the sailing. Though it made me a bit sad to think of Hyrule sunk forever beneath the waves......

And you get to jump sharks. How awesome is that?

KaeporaGaebora

TheOwlSage
To me The Great Sea was too big with not enough packed in. Personally I think they could've made Wind Waker a better Zelda game to me if the made it smaller, in terms of distance. On my first ever playthrough of Wind Waker, I didn't know of the Ballad of the Gales, and I got really mad. The Great Sea itself isn't bad it could've been done better IMO.

Last edited:

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I liked the idea of sailing your way to islands, I just thought there was too much sailing compared to how many islands there were.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I didn't like the sailing all that much, but it definitely didn't ruin the game, and it was fine, as they experimented with the different methods of transportation. I just felt that it was a bit repetitive and felt time-consuming (though in reality it may not have been). What was annoying for sure was how one had to change the wind directions constantly. I did not like that part at all. So if they bring back the WW sailing method, it would be fine, but there would be some adjustments need t be made to make it more enjoyable.

Big Octo

=^)
I liked the idea of sailing your way to islands, I just thought there was too much sailing compared to how many islands there were.
I . . . wouldn't say that. Compare it to reality, what if there were actually many islands in that close of a proximity? Sailing would be quick, just to get from island to island.

And, as I said before, it takes about a minute to sail across an entire quadrant.

Maikeru

Piper of Time
I . . . wouldn't say that. Compare it to reality, what if there were actually many islands in that close of a proximity? Sailing would be quick, just to get from island to island.

And, as I said before, it takes about a minute to sail across an entire quadrant.

Yes, but the game is not reality, which is made obvious by the fact that Link can fall so far down without breaking his legs or anything, etc... It was just really vast, I didn't dislike it, but I didn't like it either. It was more the case when sailing from somewhere like Outset to Windfall.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
The Great Sea in WW is awesome. The music, water flowing, breeze, seagulls, and treasures. I'm not bothered that's it long. I think it's ok. It kinda makes me feel like Link. Feeling all that breeze and fresh air around him:P The Great Sea is just pure awesome. I had no trouble with it.

B

Blaster242

Personally, I didn't mind having to sail for a few minutes on the Great Sea. But I heard that a lot of people hated the sea on WW. Why?
I though it was an amazing addition and i think they should do something like it in Skyward Sword.

What do you guys think about it?

Big Octo

=^)
I though it was an amazing addition and i think they should do something like it in Skyward Sword.

What do you guys think about it?
Very low chance, if the Bird Flying is included, there would be no sailing. Also, it seems as if there is no sea to sail on either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom