• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What Do You Want Out of the Tone of Future Zelda Titles?

Which theme do you want to see more of?

• Lighter themes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Darker themes

• General mixture of the two

• Unsure

• Total voters

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Zelda is a series of many strange themes. It has the dark and eeriness of MM, the clashing themes of light and dark in alttp, the primarily happy themes of restoration and saving the day in OoT. Granted, each game ends happily, but I've found different game has its own themes of light and dark at play. These themes often define how we think about a game afterwords. The light and the darkness clash in their own unique ways in each title. The darkness often scares us and makes us think about death, evil, and other themes in our lives. The light makes us happy and makes us think about the successes and joys of life. How do these themes play out to you? Which theme do you want to see more of in future titles?

More than anything, I would just like to see Nintendo flesh out the themes in a Zelda game beyond a really superficial level. For example, Twilight Princess is often said to be really dark in theme, and while that may be true, the game feels pretty flat in that respect. It's like they got halfway through developing the theme and story, and just gave up and tried to make what they had into a full game. The story/theme of TP could have worked really well and made it a very interesting and rich game, but instead it was a watered down theme with little substance.

Majora's Mask comes closest to what I'd like to see theme-wise. Not just because it's "dark", but because it actually felt alive, felt like there was a deeper story there. I liked the combination of the sense of urgency, and a whole world to discover, in MM. While I wouldn't necessarily want a timed scenario to return, I think it worked well in MM. What I'd really like to see is for a Zelda game to have the kind of story and theme of MM, but on a grander scale, with more plot development, a more complex theme, etc. Basically I'd like to see Nintendo actually care about something other than the latest gimmick for their games.

OmenBlite

OmenBlite
For example, Twilight Princess is often said to be really dark in theme, and while that may be true, the game feels pretty flat in that respect. It's like they got halfway through developing the theme and story, and just gave up and tried to make what they had into a full game. The story/theme of TP could have worked really well and made it a very interesting and rich game, but instead it was a watered down theme with little substance.

...I'm not entirely sure you pried deep enough to come to anything with considerable substance in the first place; what exactly was the "watered down" theme in question?

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Interesting question, I've always prefered (as my username would suggest) the darker games. Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were my personal favorites. I don't know why, it gives the games more depth in my opinion. Take Majora's Mask for example. You constantly play the game knowing that if you fail everyone and everything you see will be destroyed. That's a powerful motivation to play the game for me. The sadness in the game reaches out to the player and makes you connect with the characters. I really felt bad for Darunia for failing his people while he tried to save them. Same thing for Mikau who tried to help out his friend and was killed in the process. It makes you want to help them and right their wrongs.

So, while trying not to sound too emo (:P), I'd always prefer darker themes.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Considering Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game, and Twilight Princess isn't too far behind, and those are generally considered the two darkest games, I would love to see more dark themes. Cause we've seen that Nintendo can be really good dark themes. And when they tried to be really light hearted with Skyward Sword, I didn't like it... So I'd love to see darker themes

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
More than anything, I would just like to see Nintendo flesh out the themes in a Zelda game beyond a really superficial level. For example, Twilight Princess is often said to be really dark in theme, and while that may be true, the game feels pretty flat in that respect. It's like they got halfway through developing the theme and story, and just gave up and tried to make what they had into a full game. The story/theme of TP could have worked really well and made it a very interesting and rich game, but instead it was a watered down theme with little substance.

Concur. How awesome was it until after the arbiter's grounds? They had all these little side stories and talking to the Lanayru spirit was creepy and promised so much more of it, Not to mention Zant made scream out loud when he popped up behind you and was genuinely threatening. And the "resistance" seemed interesting at first but nothing really came of it. I felt like so much was missing and they were just rushing to get it ready for the wii release.

Personally I prefer a mixture of light and dark. Having them contrast each other I feel brings out the best in both, especially if you go from a lighthearted scene or cute side quest and then suddenly segue into something sinister. Keeps you on your toes.

CraptainFalcon

Bored to death
Darker is the way to go. No more childish crap and bright, happy, high-school dramas. **** that. I want to see something like the Elder Scrolls.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I like the lightheartedness of Zelda but I also like to see some darker themes. Ocarina of Time I think had a perfect blend of the two, which is part of the reason why it is my favourite Zelda game.

Salem

SICK
Somewhere in the middle, which is what most of the Zelda games are.

EDIT: I'm against having a dark tone for Zelda games.

Last edited:
The only tone that works for me is a lighter theme, sometimes with a serious tone towards the end. I can adjust to a drker game though, just as long as they don't make it some weepy 9 hour movie like all of the other "games" out there.

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
This is a subject that has long been in discussion here at ZD. While i Like the lighter themed games such as WW and MC, SS wasn't terrible. I am almost 30 years old, and i have been playing these game every bit of 25 years. And i mean ive been actively "playing" Zelda all 25 years. So sue me if i want to see a darker tone here and there. I'm not saying every game from now on should be all dark and sinister. Hell really it dont even have to have a dark story. However the visual tone of Twilight Princess (I feel) should be the norm for a console Zelda game.

WW was really cool, dont get me wrong. Sailing was fun but too much of it, but what made my day playing that game was, Here i am playing a cartoon zelda game basically, and the entire game was light hearted, complete with much comic relief provided by Link. But at the end of the day, You drive a sword right through Ganons Forehead deep enough it could have easily popped out the other end LOL. That was kind of a "woah!" moment for me. So im not saying anything bad about the more lighter toned games, i mean MC is one of my favorite games.

But just something about the tone of TP, and MM, felt so... i dont know... Right. If you think about it, the over-all story that goes with the Legend is dark in tone, its just the in game stuff that is lighter toned. It would just make more sense for Hyrule to be in distress when the whole world as they know it, is about to end. I think in the end, even if there was a lighter tone, if a Darker Visual tone was used, it would be more acceptable to people like me.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i really have no interest in seeing another dark themed zelda game,i would say a mixture of the 2 is ideal,where its touched upon but not the central tone

Darker is the way to go. No more childish crap and bright, happy, high-school dramas. **** that. I want to see something like the Elder Scrolls.

.....then why not just play the elder scrolls

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom