• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Think About the Train?

What does everyone think about there being a train in Spirit Tracks?
Do you think this is a good idea or a bad idea.

I myself don't know what to think about the train.
I think Spirit Tracks walks a fine line.
On one hand it's good to have something new, but on the other hand Zelda's always pretty much been a medieval series.
By having something new like the train, should we worry about Zelda possibly moving away from it's medieval feeling or is the train the direction the series should go in?

midnightokami

Can I has cheese burger?
Bad idea. Instead of walking around hyrule slaying monsters, you travel on the train shooting monsters. But no wonder why its called spirit tracks, well maybe it will turn out to be a good game that I predicted....

I think it walks the same line, Midna. I love to see changes to the series, regardless whether I like them or not. If a series tries the same thing over and over, just appealing to the fans of the first game, it will eventually die. I feel that games such as WW, TP, FSA, and PH have done a marvelous job of introducing new points of view to the series. WW opened the door up for the younger audience, TP proved that Zelda can be "hard core" and "mature". FSA introduced controlling four Links at once, and PH had the entirely new stylus based game play going for it the whole game. I would hope that ST's train could accomplish the same thing. My personal opinion is that Nintendo can't find a way to create an actual over world on the DS. This train just seems like a substitute for PH's boat, which is a bad thing to me. PH's over world seemed so empty, and the way this train looks, ST may very well be the same way.

What ^ said. FSA brought four new links, but it is (for me at least) one of the best Zelda game ever. Wind Waker brought a sea and you travel more on the water than you do on land, but people don't hate that game. That's exactly why I can't really say. I haven't played the game, only seen slight demos of it. How can I give an honest opinion about whether it's the best thing ever or it sucks? From what I have seen though, I'm okay with it. It's good every now and then to delve away from the normal, shooting cows and monsters and ramming in them, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Len

Zelda On Paper
a train?, well... that goes a bit beyond of the medieval style, i can,t say anything about it until i play it, it looks really fun to play, i think the game is not going to be bad after all

Halo siera 117

Eh.... senior member?
Well the train Idea was definatly difrent from everything else we've had before wich is a good thing but I just can't realy can't get onboard with this (no pun intended) Idea, but for now we'll Just have to see how it goes.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I love trains, and I thought it was a natural fit to the series. I really don't understand why so many people were taken aback by it. We've had telephones in LA, the steamboat in PH was not far off from steam trains, and don't make me say it -- there was a bazooka in Twilight Princess.

The bazooka is an invention from the early 1900's, which is AFTER the invention of the Steam Train by decades. This is something that a lot of people glaze over as being a part of a Zelda title. Maybe it's just because the train is the main focus compared to the bazooka's cameo.

But really, in the end, the series has always been slowly evolving. Putting a train into the mix stays in the pre-1900's world of the games. It may be beyond the Renaissance, but I think it still holds true to the "spirit" of the series.

What worries me the most is that the train could lead the way to more modern things like cars, guns, and maybe even airplanes appearing in the series.

I do think that the Zelda series should evolve, but there's also a risk of making the series too modern.
If the series becomes too modern, then it runs the risk of not feeling like a Zelda game anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom