• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Do You Guys Think About a DARK Zelda Game?

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
We have all seen Link cartoony and dark. But what about a really realistic serious Zelda game. Just filled with pure hate and evil. Where you actually see the people begging for a savior. An adventure were you're alone. Just picture seeing Link cutting his enemies and seeing the blood gush out. Picture Ganondorf striking Link where it hurts the most, Link goes back to his village and sees Ganon killing a loved one. A game where the adventure really messes with Link's head. I know it sounds like a big departure from the regular. But it could be a one time thing. It would still be Zelda but more cinamatic and really dark. Not Majora's Mask or Twilight Princess dark. REALLY DARK! I can already see Link pulling off more combat and doing more stealth. I can already see him standing on top of Epona and diving off of her onto another enemy knocking em off their horse. I can already see Link interacting with the enviornment. Just picture walking into dungeon and seeing the bodies of failed heroes and seeing the barbaric people who just don't care trying to fight with Link and punishing the innocent.

So what do you guys think of a Zelda game this dark?

OcarinalinkLOZ

Your Link to the Past
Hyrule in the winter, Canada in the summer
It would be interesting, thats for sure, but unfortunatly the Wii in its current stage cant handle those types of graphics and the huge game engine needed to power a game like that....it could be a possibility in the future but I can't picture Myamoto doing that.

Djinn

and Tonic
Most likely someone other than Nintendo would have to produce it. Majoras Mask and Twilight Princess is about as dark as it gets when Nintendo is concerned. They seem to want to hold on to the good ol' days where colorful cartoon characters could swing yoyo's and fireballs at anthropomorphic animal bad guys. What you are suggesting is outside their ability to perceive much less create.

However a much more grimdark Zelda adventure in a similar fantasy style to Fable or Baldur's Gate would be great in my mind. Where Link would actually fight people and not just random animals and monster races. While all the characters are not so plain black and white good and evil, Hyrule would have some seedier sides of town that Link might have to venture into. Fight thieves and murderers in back alleys, etc. The King of Hyrule might be a corrupt ruler, and Ganondorf might actually do things that a thief king would do.

Of course for this to happen Activision or Ubisoft would have to somehow buy the Zelda license or snare it from a bankrupt Nintendo. Either way, something extreme would have to happen first before this is even possible.

linkman8

True and Noble
The question is really how dark is too dark? You have to understand that when you throw these dark themes in games that have always been child-friendly, you mess with their heads. I admit I like the story you play out in theory, but the thing is, how would a child react to these things? Getting to know a character or group of characters only to see them get slaughtered in front of your eyes, and then watch as the ordeal plays out in Link's mind? A bit too much for kids I think.
I do admit though that a certain amount of dark themes adds realism to a game, and to a degree I like seeing it. But with Zelda I certainly hope it never goes overboard. Twilight Princess did a decent job of trying to balance light-hearted and darkened themes.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Well it's not about what the Wii can handle or what is now. This is thinking outside what kids can see or what Zelda is. Now I now this will never happen but It's about what do you think about a dark Zelda game? Like the one I described. Not what will happen or what will Nintendo do. And remember, it's still Zelda, so of course. The main formula will not be changed. Just picture a older TP Link looking a bit angerier taking on scary looking moblins. I would personally like to see a game like this that actually shows you the dark times of back then. You're still on your Zelda adventure but dealing with more then just the evil that has taken over. You're dealing with personal issues, insanity, and the cruel theifs and animals that just don't care about what's going on with Hyrule. I really want to see this happen even though it never will. I hate when kids get in the way of greatness. Some times I feel Nintendo should grow up. Children are always playing violent games anyway. And if parent's have a problem, check the freaken label before purchase.

Last edited:

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Personally, I wouldn't be interested. The games aren't dark because that's not the tone the adventures set. It's hard to explain...

I mean when you say an adventure that messes with Link's head, are you referring specifically to Link (who isn't devoid of sudden tragedy and despair), or do you mean to mess with the player's head more? Neither are elements the games have left out, though messing with the player is pretty light in comparison to games that exel on that field (Eternal Darkness). Well, unless you're heavily arachnophobic anyway.

In fact a lot of what you've described has appeared in games to some degree. Seeing fallen heroes (OoT, PH, not sure about TP but wouldn't surprise me), Link losing a loved one (LttP, WW), even stealth and human enemies have happened before. They're just not covered in 50 shades of black with blood-gushing attack strikes. Heck that could be pretty distracting when you're fighting a giant Moblin, or a Ghoma creature skittering along the floor after you. I also don't think the games would benefit from that, particularly.

A depressing serious blood covered angst game would turn me off, to be honest. Kiddy or not kiddy I just prefer the way the company's been dealing with Link and the Zelda series so far, even if that makes me a wuss.

This would certainly be an interesting concept, but I wouldn't want it to be a canon Zelda game because of how different it would be from the others.

What you're describing would actually make for an excellent fanfiction if it was done well enough. You could probably find something like that on fanfiction.net, considering how popular Zelda is.

I don't think Zelda could get darker than TP, but I am all up for however for a heavier story, with more emotions involved, and more mental impact, but still keeping it Zelda and not going to over the top and making all full of blood/gorish....yeah it would be awesome

jugglaj91

I am me....
Here is the problem I see. Nintendo stated they put gameplay first. For your scenario story has to come first and that would be a very short lived Zelda game. Most games like that average around 5-8 hours of gameplay. TP itself had around 20 I think they said. So if you want a gimped Zelda by all means sure. But it would be a huge letdown.

A

Argorok

I think that it's a good idea and games like that can be fun and interesting, I just wouldn't like to see it is a zelda game. The legend of zelda games always have somewhat of a happy feel to them and throwing in blood and gore and too many depressing things just wouldn't seem like the LoZ we all know and love. It could maybe be a little darker that TP, but I still think that game was pretty dark.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
I would like to see a darker, more adult Zelda game. The Zelda series has always had eerie and disturbing elements, like Re-Deads, the bottom of the well, parts of Twilight Princess and pretty much 90% of Majora's Mask. So a whole game with that creepy atmosphere seems like a logical conclusion. Now I don't think that Nintendo will release a Zelda game that has copious amounts of dead Hylians, but hypothetically, would I want to play it? Sure. If the rest of the game has the quality of Nintendo's other Zelda games and the creepiness is not just a gimmick to push a mediocre title, that is. I would like to see Link battle Lovecraftian enemies. I would like to see him walk through dungeons that look like the shadow world in Silent Hill. I wouldn't mind the occasional jump scare. And I wouldn't mind it if this time around, something went disturbingly wrong with Ganon's resurrection...

Well we know for a fact that Nintendo has the ability to handle dark themes. I mean, just take a look at Twilight Princess. Alright, sure, it wasn't that dark, but it certainly was a departure from something like Ocarina of Time, or even Majora's Mask.

I agree with the opinion that Nintendo won't be making a "super duper" dark Legend of Zelda game, mostly because they're dealing with a young audience. I could imagine the view points of some parents out there who wouldn't want their child to be exposed to something like that just yet. It just won't happen.

However, I agree, it would be a sight to see, more darker elements brought in to the franchise. Killing off a major element to the game, such as Zelda would be interesting. Pull some heartstrings and kill off Epona. There's so much you could do to make Link's life a living hell.

Horror as an element would be amazing, I think. A dungeon enveloped in complete darkness with a bit of creepy music always does it for me. If they could alter one thing to really give it that edge without upsetting the parents; it would have to be the dungeons. Cause for gosh sakes, we need another Shadow Temple.

I dunno mate. Would be quite hard to see with all the lights turned out :lol:

Damn I crack myself up. I think a feeling of isolation in a Zelda game would be really cool, as I don't think it's been done before much. I guess there is that bit in ALttP where if you go to the village the town guards chase you, but that's about as close as it gets. I'm not really one for blood myself, I don't believe it adds much to the game, but perhaps a few more innocents dying and a bit more doom all around wouldn't go amiss.

Must say i do like the idea.
But we know it wont happen.
Instead of Ganon being the main baddie we could have an evil Link.
Not just an evil Link but make it a very dark zelda game like Majora's Mask.
The wii will be capable of a big Zelda game very soon from what i hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom