• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Adventure of Link What Could Be Done to Improve AoL? Make It Easier, More Fun?

Djinn

and Tonic
Zelda 2 is definitely the black sheep of the series. Most often players have only played just a tiny bit if they even played it at all. Clearly the game is far too frustrating for anyone who is not a die hard fan or really loves a challenge. Most people rarely even find the first palace much less beat it. So I wondered, what could be done to make this game a little easier or more fun to play. What changes could be made to this game that would help it out of it's place as the worst Zelda title?

Lengthen the sword The magic sword Link uses in the game is tiny. It looks to be barely the size of a dagger, possibly smaller. Either way the blade is so short you all too often need to get in "will be hurt" range to hit an enemy. Normally enemies who carry swords and shields themselves like Darknuts and stalfos. And especially so with human shaped bosses such as Horsehead and Iron Knuckle. You have to jump into the perfect distance just to hit their heads and normally straight into their weapons which are more than twice as long as Link's. Now bosses are typically supposed to be hair pulling hard but for everyday enemies like Stalfos this should not be as true. There is having a decent challenge and then there is having the game mechanics completely working against you. Link's tiny sword puts him well in harm's way but if it were at least twice as long then random encounter enemies could be more manageable. And normal combat with common enemies would not always result in Link getting hurt.

Tighten the Controls The controls are a little too loose. A lot of games had this problem in the NES days, Mario 1 being a great example. Too many times I would need Link to jump across a chasm onto a platform or over an enemy but the control was too loose and Link would fly straight over the platform and into another bottomless pit. Control while jumping was hard, even by 8-bit sidescroller standards. It needed a little tweaking for much less floating left and right while running and jumping. Far too many common enemies require perfect timing while performing a jump attack to hit.

Bow and Arrow I believe this game definitely needed some sort of long range item. The sword beams are not that. They have a very short range and disappear, plus they still have the same full life requirement. Some form of long range but ammo required weapon like the bow from LoZ would help out a lot in many areas. Then taking care of rooms in dungeons that are filled with too many enemies could be handled. Under normal conditions a room filled with tinsuits was death for anyone who bothered to stay around too long. So the ability to shoot a few from across a room would help out here. Darknuts would still be capable of moving their shields up and down depending on where you are shooting so challenge for harder enemies would still be there. The inclusion of the bow would make engaging them less impossible. It would go a long way in making several areas that were too mind numbingly frustrating actually playable. Even enjoyable, who does not like picking off enemies from a distance if you can afford the arrows?

Give better Directions One serious problem with this game is the fact that all too often you have absolutely no idea where to go at all. The villagers are no help. They tell you that candles are sometimes useful or their name is Error. Just one villager that give the info to you straight and says something like "The cave northeast of here has a candle. Get it." would be so much more helpful than almost anything else they tell you. Changing some of the villager's words so that they actually give you helpful information that truly give you a real idea of exactly where to go next would be too helpful for words. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess helped out a lot with the ability to speak directly to the King of Red Lions or Midna who would give you a little hint on what you should be doing next. Perhaps Zelda 2 could have a fortune teller or fairy that you could go to every now and again for some hint on which direction to head toward next or where a palace might be.

All these ideas I thought of while still trying to maintain the game as a normal 8-bit NES game. So what other idea does anyone else have that could be done to make Zelda 2 actually fun to play? Again keep it a NES game, no insane upgrades to technology that the NES was not capable of.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
Starting out at the last town you visited or the palace entrance after a Game Over. Fortunately the game at least has the mercy to start you at the Great Palace's entrance after you run out of lives, but restarting back at the North Palace can especially be a deterrent for first timers to finish the game when they're in East Hyrule.

Less grueling level-up system. I myself don't have a problem with it, but not a lot of gamers have the patience or desire for heavy RPG-like level grinding.

More effective sword beam. Maybe give it longer range, but definitely make it to where it damages all enemies, not just the weak ones. I see the sword beam as an advantage to being at full health, but since a majority of the enemies an advantage would actually come in handy for aren't affected by it, it's pretty much useless.

MrLuigi

Theorist
Give better Directions

This right here is the reason why I can't figure out where I am suppose to go after the first dungeon. Is the swamp palace? Maybe? NO! It's Death Mountain. WAIT! Not that either.

G

Ganonity

My idea to make AoL easier and/or better is to put Death Mountain towards the end of the game, after getting more items. That dungeon was a pain in my side.

zeldakid895

Zelda's Kid
I think if the game gradually became harder it would be better because Death mountain was way too hard for its spot in the game.

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
Okay, before I suggest what could be done to improve AoL, there's one thing I need to get off my chest first: Error is useful. Yes, people laugh over his name, but they are supposed to. That's what makes them remember him when another NPC in another town sends Link back to him much, much later.

Alright. That being said, here's what I would change (graphics aside, that one is obvious):

1.: The saving system. There has to be a way to save the game without having to die first. All Zelda games after LoZ and AoL had a saving option that didn't send you back to the beginning of the game. I concur with insanity76, if you could start at the beginning of the dungeon (or in the last town you visited), you'd be a lot more motivated to play.

2: Map and compass. The hardest part about the dungeons isn't the enemies, it's the confusing layouts. If you had a map and compass like in every other Zelda game, things would be a lot better.

3: The extra life statues. When you pick up one of those statues and die often enough to get the Game Over screen, the statue will be gone. Either let Link start with four lives the next time he starts the game (or five, or six, depending on how many statues he picked up), or let him collect the statue again if you load a savegame.

David

But you called me here...
Give better Directions One serious problem with this game is the fact that all too often you have absolutely no idea where to go at all. The villagers are no help. They tell you that candles are sometimes useful or their name is Error. Just one villager that give the info to you straight and says something like "The cave northeast of here has a candle. Get it." would be so much more helpful than almost anything else they tell you. Changing some of the villager's words so that they actually give you helpful information that truly give you a real idea of exactly where to go next would be too helpful for words. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess helped out a lot with the ability to speak directly to the King of Red Lions or Midna who would give you a little hint on what you should be doing next. Perhaps Zelda 2 could have a fortune teller or fairy that you could go to every now and again for some hint on which direction to head toward next or where a palace might be.

Well, in my opinion, I wouldn't want this to happen. Back in the good ol' NES days, you weren't really told how to do much of anything. I personally love this about the games. It completely reduces the linearity of the game to merely having the correct items. You aren't forced to do any of the palaces in the set order, you have a rather large overworld to explore and do what you want with, and it isn't very restrictive. In newer Zelda games, players are told what they are supposed to do through Midna, Navi, Tatl, or The King of Red Lions. In the older games, you weren't given such directions which allowed the player to do what he felt was the correct way to do things. Personally, that is what hooked me to Zelda, even though I played most of the new ones first. I absolutely love adventure games and I'm willing to spend the time to explore.

With that said, for less experienced players, or for those that don't want to spend time exploring, a direction system would be useful. And yes, it can be frustrating when you have no idea where you are supposed to go, but that's how most all of the NES games were made.

Anyway... My personal list:

Longer Sword/Improved Combat System: Lets face it... the game's combat system was very limited. You were bound by one weapon, your sword. And the sword was very, very small in size. A larger sword would have been much better for the game. Even spells were kinda limited. While a lot were useful, you had to pause the game and select the spell that you wished to use. Now, I know that the NES controller was limited to only two action buttons, and I felt that they did a decent job with the combat. But, it could have been better.

Increased Mobility: It always made me mad when Link decided to disobey my orders and jump into a ditch. The controls could have been much more fluid and natural. I mean, what was up with the jumping? If you weren't careful and didn't jump at the right time, you'd end up dead. This could have easily been corrected.

General Improvements: The game could have been improved generally as well. While I loved the game, I felt that they could have done more. The story could have been better with better explanations about why things happened. The graphics could have been improved maybe a little bit. And they could have made it more challenging (I know... some of you think that the game was hard enough as it is. But, I disagree. It wasn't the hardest NES game out there. They could have made it harder). And of course, a map and compass system. The dungeons were confusing without it. It could have used it.

All in all, I think that they did a good job with the game, but obviously, there could have been some improvements to the engine and to the game itself.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Better directions would be nice, but I won't complain as LoZ's weren't exactly the best of it's time either.

I agree with HoM, a longer sword would be so much better. Perhaps they could've increased the length at the cost of some attack power, but that's just my thoughts on it.

Oh, and enemies should deal around 1/4 less of the damage they deal to Link. I understand that's what the Shield Spell is used for (damage reduction), but without the shield spell (or magic power to USE it), the enemies are about 5x stronger than Link would be by the time you reach the 3rd dungeon (or maybe the cave on the way to the third dungeon) without grinding for Life Level ups.

more affective spells

I loved AOL but I do see alot of your points. I have one thing to add to it and that would be that the spells should have been more affective. I think the "spell" spell was completely useless. The cross that you use to get thunder was useless otherwise. I think that if you have the magical key then all other keys should disappear. One of the things that bugged me was in the hidden palace you still had to pick up the key to move on. I think the shield spell should have acted like nayru's(sp) love and gave you a bigger shield. I think that more of the enemies should have been able to move around. if I had the option I would remake AoL because with the 3d titles you could make it so that you could buy a new sword and actually either verbalize the spells or at least have the listing on the bottom of the screen. let me know what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom