• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Character Archetype Do You Love?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
We've had hated characters, now, let's do characters that you can't get enough of.

I love confident and arrogant kung fu guys, especially if they're the protagonist. The whole "bring it" mentality in a fighting character I love.

I also love old, wise, wizard mentors. Especially if written well. Give me some more Gandalfs and Moiraines please!

And the classic knightly character is hard to beat.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
My favorite character trope is the overenthusiastic young gun
Think the partner character from psmd, Dewey and webby from ducktales

I also like the snarky characters like Tyrion Lannister

And a special mention goes out to Jeff.

I love Faustian and/or self-destructive characters. That seems to the most recurrent trend among the majority of my favorite characters.

In general, I tend to gravitate to darker characters, usually ones that hold unique spins on the tragic backstory/troubled past archetype. Most commonly I seem to go for ones who are [failed] experiments or disillusioned with humanity. Characters with glaring flaws I find extremely endearing, and the less able they are to cope with it, the more I'll probably like them. I do like to see characters grow, but it's more effective when you watch that foil character deteriorate in the other direction by their own foolishness (goes back to the self-destructive thing). Makes the development of both characters that much more dramatic.

I also like characters whose sanity is questionable as well. Something I'm becoming more interested in are characters who are an archetype of initiation, and they sort of become alienated because of an experience they had that they don't understand, and they're outcast for the effect that it has on their mind.

Also for no reason, I like asshole characters. But they can't be too anime about it. They gotta be a relatable asshole--the "character says what we're all thinking" regarding the story's dumb situations, characters, and whatnot.

Dapperchihiro123

I got a key! Let me find a door!
I like the mischeivous characters. I am reading a book series called the bartimaeus sequence, where the main character, bartimaeus is mischevious and very well written. He's also a demon so He's more of a mischevious trickster then a malignant murderer.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I like the mischeivous characters. I am reading a book series called the bartimaeus sequence, where the main character, bartimaeus is mischevious and very well written. He's also a demon so He's more of a mischevious trickster then a malignant murderer.
Oh love that series!

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
First off, I'd say I'm a sucker for a sympathetic villain or anti-hero/morally grey types.

A villain who's just evil for the sake of it (especially ones that are comically so) has their place, but one with motivations (even noble ones) or outside factors (trauma, etc.) that influence why they've chosen the path and inspire sympathy from the viewer/reader are far more interesting to me.

Anti-heroes/morally grey characters are also engaging for me in how they diverge from absolute standards of right and wrong, relying on methods that don't conform to anyone's standard but their own. They carve their own path as they see fit (more often than not), which is pretty neat to see.

Admittedly, I'm also fond of tsundere types, when written thoughtfully. Characters who berate others randomly or follow the trope in a very uncreative way (as is often the case in anime, though the archetype is by no means limited to Japanese media) are irritating and/or boring. However, there are some I think that have enough nuance and restraint to their development, backstory, or personality to justify a distrust or hostility towards other people.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
the badass swordsman

examples are citan uzuki from xenogears, auron from final fantasy x, raiden from mgs, those kinds of characters I always like to see
Where's my boi, Guts?

He's badass, but I guess that thing is too big to be called a sword. Thick, heavy, and far too rough. Indeed, it's like a hunk of raw iron...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom