• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess What Are Your Thoughts on Twilight Princess? the Good and the Bad.

R

RetroStalfos

I finished a playthrough of it last night. This was the first time I have played it in about five years. The game was much better than I remembered it, I mean when I first played it I thought it was friggin' sweet, but I guess I may have let all the criticism I've heard over the years affect my opinion of it. Now that it is fresh in my mind, I can honestly say I think it is up there with OOT and LTTP, but it does have some problems.

I think its biggest problem was its overall pacing. It took far too long for the metaphorical ball to get rolling, with its overly long opening portions. And the enemies could have been more dangerous. And don't get me started on the ruppees nonesense...

There some other problems, but I honestly think if it didn't have these issues, it could have topped OOT with its great dungeon design and huge world.

What do you think of the game? What do you think it did right? And what did it do wrong?

TP is my favorite Zelda game. One bad thing is that the story feels a bit empty after the Arbiter's Grounds. Another thing is the items, there are some that you barely use outside the dungeons. And there should be a NORMAL way to get to Lake Hylia...:dry:

Cons:
-The art was a little bleak. I like the gritty realistic look, but they could have splashed on a bit more color.
-The story was lacking about midway through the game. You kind of fly through the dungeons after the Arbiter's Grounds.
-Not enough shields/items/upgrades and too many useless items like Spinner and Dominion Rod.

Pros:
-AMAZING STORY
-The game's intro is perfect. It doesn't launch you into the game suddenly like OoT but doesn't take ages and ages like SS.
-Great enemies. Granted I would've liked to see more Darknuts, but eh, whatever.
-Great dungeons. Lots of variety and they're very nice and long.
-Wolf mode is cool. (although I don't like how Midna rides on your back)
-The events leading up to the end of the game are very cool, even though Ganondorf pretty much makes a surprise appearance, but it's not a huge problem.
-Coolest bosses in my opinion. They were pretty easy but they were still the coolest by far.
-I love the setting. Dark, gritty, medeival kingdom with the best looking Hyrule Castle design of any Zelda game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
In my opinion, the bad: Lack of Difficulty (I'm a vet -- don't like games that are too easy like TP or SS), lack of things to do (literally two major sidequests: Poe Souls and Heart Pieces, i count bugs as a minor since it's basically a really toned down version of Poes), Overworld has nothing to do (it's huge...that's it basically. Where are all the groves and hidden bombable areas and stuff?), terrible "guide" (Midna is a huge *****, not helpful whatsoever), terrible main villain and side villain (no comments on final boss,what the hell happened to the awesomeness that was Zant?), items are basically one time uses outside a few select choices, bosses are more like field enemies and field enemies are more like "hit B twice", the game is essentially a copypasta of OoT.

In my opinion, the good: graphics are beautiful (not the best or even the GOOD of their time, but still), hidden skills like tiger scrolls of TMC were absolutely amazing (too bad SS decided to dumb things down), loved Cave of Ordeals despite finding easy loops in it as it reminded me heavily of Savage Labyrinth.

videogamenerd10

Indigo Child
Twilight Princess may have been a bit boring in the beginning but once you start actually adventuring, that's when it gets interesting and fun. At first I thought that the "turning into a wolf" part of the game would be dumb, but it wasn't all that bad, in fact, it was pretty fun sometimes. Some of the puzzles in Twilight Princess to me felt a bit harder than the rest, but that wasn't something that I hold against the game. Also, the bosses were pretty good. And we can't forget the music, the music was really good in this game; especially the return of some songs from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Overal, this was such a great game and I would say that this is in my Top 5 for Greatest Zelda Games.

MW7

For me it was about two things: dungeons and linearity. The dungeons were very good and challenging. The linearity of the game frustrated me to no end though. There was opportunity after opportunity for the game designers to give us choices, and they restricted us for virtually no reason at all (for example all the blocked paths in the overworld, and the set up of the 2nd half of the game in which they introduced us to the four people to lead us to the dungeons but could only proceed in a set order). For this reason this game felt extremely constrained to me.

The difficulty level could have been upped a little more, it had this touch and go feel where nothing could really stand in your way. There was no challenge at all and I felt a little bummed out at how fast it took to complete.
The world was also a little too huge, usually when you expand an area like Hyrule you would expect to throw in at least maybe 10 or 20 NPC characters running around Hyrule Field. My ultimate dream would be Nintendo to have a living breathing Hyrule with people riding around in carts or farming on the outskirts of Hyrule Market.
The midi music was actually decent though haha.

I have been playing Twilight Princess lately. It use to be on the bottom of my list of Zelda games, but now I don't think it is. I am starting to replay it on all 3 files trying to get my quickest time. It takes me so far about 50 minutes to reach the first temple. I will try at it till I don't see much improvement and continue through the game like that.

Pros:
-Story
-Longer Dungeons (first time playing usually took me a good 2 hours per dungeon, now a lot less though)
-Zant fight

Cons:
-The long back and forth to recover Illia's memory and the time to get to that next dungeon
-After playing Skyward Sword for so long I forgot at first that the sword movement is not 1-to-1 (I kept trying to throw bombs with the flick of the wiimote when it was suppose to be with A)

Rare Addict

Site Staff
While not the most risky -- nor the most challenging -- entry in the series, Twilight Princess is the definitive gaming experience for me. Everything about it, from the combat (despite being somewhat antiquated by Skyward Sword), to the - for lack of a better word - epic boss battles, to the haunting musical score, to the most emotionally engaging story that I've ever experienced in a game, makes Twilight Princess my absolute favorite video game.

Good things
Story--At least in the beginning and the very end of the game. A little after the middle, the story felt like it dropped off - it suddenly became much more relaxed.
Mechanics--I loved all the different possible sword moves, and how Link could swing his sword while running. The wolf mode was also cool, but it could have been used more.
Camera control--After playing Twilight Princess, I played Ocarina of Time again, and I kept reaching for the C-Stick to move the camera only to find it didn't exist on the N64 controller.
Overworld--I like the more open overworlds that let me just play around with various items in a large area. Hyrule Field could have had a few more enemies and NPCs though.
Dungeons--The dungeons were cleverly crafted for use with the item that Link got in it. The boss battles at the end of the dungeon usually required clever use of that item too.
Music--Twilight Princess has one of my favorite soundtracks in the whole Zelda series. The music sets the perfect mood and never seems our of place. It is also quite interesting to listen to on its own.

Bad things
Item slots--Because there were only two item slots, I found myself going into the item menu very frequently. It's not that much of a hassle to bring up the item menu, but I felt it interrupted the gameplay too much in some of the more item heavy areas.
Ending dungeons--In a Zelda game, I usually expect the last dungeon or two to give the most mind-bending puzzles in the game. Some items were rarely used after the dungeon they were obtained in. I expected to have various puzzles that required careful use of all or most of the items Link had obtained.
Mini-bosses don't come back--I enjoy fighting the mini-bosses over and over, and in many Zelda games, they return again and again. The only mini-bosses that return are Darknut and Aeralfos. Some of the mini-bosses have a story behind them that wouldn't let them return, such as Ook and Dangoro, but most of the others could easily be fought again in the harder dungeons. Returning mini-bosses would also have upped the difficulty level (which was a little too easy).
Linearity--Linearity can be good or bad depending on how it's used. The beginning of the game was perfect for being linear. The second half was just as perfect for being non-linear, but it also was linear. The three dungeons after Arbiter's Grounds didn't have to be in any specific order. In fact, I don't think the items obtained in the dungeons after Arbiter's Grounds are needed in any of the other dungeons (except the last two). Ocarina of Time was set up in a similar manner, but it didn't have much of an order for the later dungeons, and I think it was better for it.
Hidden skills--The hidden skills were an excellent idea, but I don't think they were used as much as they could have been. The last Ganondorf battle would have been much better if it required the use of more of the hidden skills.

Sorry for the long post. Twilight Princess is a game I really love, but one I also like to rant about at times.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I've just finished SS and I think I'm one of five people in the world that thinks TP is a better Zelda game.

I LOVED TP and still do. The game is what I waited for in a Zelda game for a long while. It brought back a nastalgia to OoT while still being new and innovative in a Zelda kind of way. (It was even moreso for me because I hadn't played WW yet). The graphics are where I feel the Zelda series should be headed but I'm not the only Zelda fan and others actually prefer lighter colors with less serious shading. Character development was AMAZING. I felt everything Link felt and what they did with Midna, Zelda and Ganondorf was fantastic. The story now revolving around not Link was a breath of fresh air. Zelda, for once, was acting like a queen rather than a princess.
In my opinion, TP has the best story (though not Zeldawise, that belongs to OoT).

Some legit complaints...
Its too easy. Indeed it is too easy for us Zelda peeps but I don't think thats a completely bad thing because I feel Nintendo did so to bring in a new audience and also to focus more on their story.
No Dark Link. Not going into that tyrant again. It should've had a dark Link.
Too empty. Again, true but not necessarily a bad thing because Nintendo was trying to focus on story. Also, people have exaggerated a bit on this part.
The tediousness of some events. True, there were very tedious moments.
Howling. I prefer an instrument and the howling didn't sound like music.

Some non-legit complaints
It TRIES to hard to be dark. Uh... I disagree completely. Zelda shouldn't be too dark because then it won't be Zelda but TP did an excellent job in dimming down the lights. There was mention of death, but it wasn't gritty and thrown in your face. The characters were more serious but we still got a couple of clowns thrown in along with a bug collecting little princess.

And I had more to say, but I forgot so Imma end it there.

Good: THE MUSIC. It was phenomenal. The art, Link has never looked better, honestly. And the dungeons were interesting. I liked how they were all completely different from each other. I loved how there was a lot more to the game than just the dungeons, and that there was a real story, however confusing it was to follow sometimes. I loved Midna, and her attitude problem. I liked how you had to be a wolf sometimes, because that was such a new concept that it was just awesome(: And the boss fights were kind of fun, though too easy ):

Bad: The dungeons were ridiculously easy. And boss fights were laughable. I wasn't challenged at all during boss fights, not even the final boss fight. I love a good challenge, and it was totally lacking from that. I didn't exactly like how small of a role Zelda actually played. Oh, and this one's weird, but I didn't like how the menu was set up so your items were on the D-pad instead of in a menu under START. I also didn't like how, once again, items are only used in the one dungeon, and they are barely used ever again.

All in all, I loved the game but I would have liked it to be a bit more challenging...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom