• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Are You Afraid Of?

My biggest fear is.......water.

I don't freak out whenever I see a glass of water or anything, but I'm absolutely terrified of being in the middle of a body of water. I can't go on a cruise in the ocean, and I can't go sailing around a lake because I fear large bodies of water like that. But, for those of you who might not know, I'm also a very accomplished swimmer. I practice daily at the local college pool, and I try my best to improve at it. This helps me "get over" the fear of water I have somewhat. And I hope someday I'll muster up enough courage to swim in a lake instead of just a 25yd pool. :P

MajoraKing12

Perfect Harmony
I am afraid of heights,Clowns and Mannequins(I think I spelled it right).

For heights it's werid because I also like being in high places but they can't be that far from the ground. Clowns are just creepy with all that makeup and what not. And Mannequin's i'm just scared when I turn around there just going to come alive with a knife and kill me!!! There scary!!!!

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
MK - my money's on the cuccoo.

Hmm.

Rejection, though I face it a lot. I just really really hate it. Keeps me from buckling down to look for work as ardently as I should, I guess - I've come to expect rejection. I put queries for my novels out to publishers and literary agents *expecting* rejection because it's all I've gotten, in hopes that "maybe this time, my proposal will not be rejected." In the long run, religiously, I'm afraid of being rejected by God - despite all the promises in the Bible for those who believe and stuff. (Sorry for those who aren't religious, this is talking about me here. You could also say that I'm afraid the Athiests really are right and that there's just nothing - that is a form of rejection to me, as well). I want my life to have meant something and I want to *see* it.

Alright, esoteric fear out of the way, now to the mundane:

Ice. I don't fear ice in and of itself, I just fear walking on it. I *hate, hate, HATE* the sensation of falling. Hate it! I grew up in a desert, where ice didn't form all over the ground and sidewalks in the winter. Transplanted to a temperate/seasoned climate, you can see where I didn't learn how to walk on the stuff. Slipping and sliding is extremely frightening to me. If I must cross a patch of ice, I will cling to the nearest object or person for DEAR LIFE and make animal whimpering noises. If I'm clinging to a person, I might try demanding that they carry me. So far, it hasn't worked.

Other than that, the "normal" fears I don't have as much. I won't ride roller coasters for that "I hate the sensation of falling" thing I have, but I like getting up on high places, climbing mountains and seeing the view. I think spiders are cute. (I blame my mother reading me Charlotte's Web as a kid, also a grandfather who had a pet tarantula). I've killed scorpions with broom handles - sometimes to the "rescue" of frightened people... I've handled snakes (not in a religious way at all, more like in a bratty little kid way: "Ooh! A garter snake! I'm gonna go scare my mom!" ) Shaking my head a little at Smitie... I love and have ridden horses. Fallen off 'em, too. To Zeruda... Zombies might be my friends! I paint animal skulls I find and work with animal remains that are all desicated and gross and find it rather facinating...

Weird, I am.

S

Silent Rain

Water. The dark. And heights. I can't swim and I don't know if I'll ever learn! And I've always been afraid of the dark. I sleep with a nightlight on, for some reason I just can't fall asleep if its too dark.
And heights just scare me. The idea of falling from a high place just makes my heart race.

www.zeldainmypocket.com
I have a fear of sharks, and I greatly dislike snakes.

Does anyone have uraphobia (I think that's how it's spelled)? If you don't know what it is, look it up. ;)

E

emy

I am deathly afraid of whales. Blue wales, killer whales, Humpback whales... all of them. They are absolutely terrifying. Imagine swimming in the middle of the ocean and having one of those gigantic things swim next to you! *shudders* Definitely nightmare-inducing.

At the same time, they are a major part of the ocean's ecosystem so I love them for that. I just don't want to be anywhere near them!

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
I'm afraid of bugs. I haven't been sleeping in my room because I found two silverfish in my room. And I've done that some other time before too, because of a spider. I freak out when I see them.

B

Blood Wolf

Heights scare me for if you are high up with no support, you fall then you are certainly doomed.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Does anyone have uraphobia (I think that's how it's spelled)? If you don't know what it is, look it up. ;)
ahaha I think I might have this.

I actually do have another fear. I have a fear of heights, but at the same time, I do not. I thin kit's more of a fear of falling from high places. I love looking out of a plane. I love looking down over cliffs. This is why I don't think it's the height I'm afraid of.
But falling... That's not so much fun.

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
I'm afraid of needles, simply because when I was younger - I had to get over 20 shots in my back, at the same time at my asthma & allergy doctor.
They always do those allergy tests on my lower arms. About sixteen shots, but I don't really mind it. Needles are my least concern. Most of the time there's little to no pain (well, the reaction from the allergy test is less fun), and I know they'll help in the long run.

What I'm most afraid of though, are clowns! Yes, I've always feared them, ever since I was little. Why would a man in a suit try to entertain childeren? I just can't grasp the concept. That, and one of them scared the hell out of me when I was little. Needless to say I don't like the circus either. :P

I'm also afraid of heights, but that's something I'm trying to get rid of. Because I don't actually know WHY I'm afraid of it. I simply can't think of any good reason. I've visited the top of the Eiffel Tower, I've walked over very bridges in Austria. And yet, every time I get this weird feeling in my ankles. I don't want it, and I want to get rid of it.

Of course public speaking has always been a pain to me. I'm not really all that extravert when it comes to doing something in public. Almost immediately 'doom thoughts' start to form when I have to do any sort of presenting. I once failed a really important exam because of it. So yeah, unfortunately I do have a bunch of fears. But that's what makes us human, right? :P

H

Hero of Limes

I have fear of:
Agoraphobia- Fear of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.
Entomophobia- Fear of insects.

General Lee

Classic Gamer
I have to be honest in the fact Im not afraid of much. I love heights, and I dont have any real phobias (i think thats how its spelled) but when I was a kid I was greatly afraid of bridges just because "what if" it broke. I have gotten over that fear, and another thing I was afraid of when I was younger was basements. I don't know why they just used to creep me out. Im surprised lots of people had not said natural disasters because I know lots of people who are scared (large storms, hurricanes, tornadoes etc.) Tornadoes can be scary but are amazingly interesting, as are most natural disasters/storms.

T

Tatlfaerie

Anachraphobia; if a spider is around me i completely freak out...hate them...

S

Spreeze

I am afraid of spiders. I don't know why. I don't think there was ever a reason, I just am. I also don't like silver fish. *shudder* Most all them other bugs I can handle, but those 2 just creep me out the most.

I do have a fear of heights, but it's not severe. I can climb trees and what not, but I just don't feel right when there is no safety bar (like on a roof of a house. My legs get wobbly and I feel scared) or something to hold onto. Also, I don't like that vertigo feeling... I get that feeling when I'm somewhere high and I look up at the sky. Sometimes I feel like I'm falling, or I lose my balance.

I also fear for my health, as most people do. On my dad's side of the family there is all sorts of health problems, and I sure don't want to get any of those.

Tornadoes. I live in Minnesota in the United States, and a lot of tornadoes and severe thunderstorms roll through here in the summer. I only start to get afraid when the sirens go off (You know, the town emergency sirens). And that only happens when a funnel cloud is spotted in the area. I had a specifically traumatic experince when I was five years old. The sirens when off in the afternoon, and my family and I retreated to the basement with some of our belongings. My parents always told me, "As long as we are not afraid, you don't have to be." Well, guess what? It was obvious my parents were getting nervous. We had the weather channel on in the TV in the basement, and my brother and I were forced to sit in a corner, just in case something happened. My parents were taking turns running upstairs to get photo albums and food and stuff. We ended up sleeping in the basement that night.

Leeches. When I was little (like, 8 yrs old), I was swimming in a lake, and I look down and there's a long black thing stuck to my leg. Then my mom comes running out with a bottle of salt and throws some on the leech. I watched it writhe and squiggle and ahhhh... it felt so wierd and it was so.. scary. I am afraid of swimming in lakes now because of that experience.

Fast rides, like at amusement parks (rollercoasters and whatnot). Blame my dad for this fear. He took me on a ride at an amusement park when I was like... 5 years old. It went fast and had 2 huge drops. I was crying and screaming the whole way XD

Oh.. and this next one is silly... but I'm afraid of the technical theater director at my school. Seriously... this guy is scary. He's gotta be at least 300 pounds, and he's always yelling at people and barking out orders and always talking smart. I've had nightmares involving this guy. Everytime I see him at school I turn the other way.D:

I used to be horribly afraid of heights, bugs, and the dark. I've since chilled on all that.

I'm still a bit afraid of heights, but I'm only a little nervous with bugs and the dark.

I'd say I'm most afraid of bad crap happening to people I care about, and to the world in general. I also sometimes find myself afraid of dying alone and never falling in love, but I usually manage to shake the "serious fears." Most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom