• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are some glitches/cheats/exploits you use in the games you play?

From the infamous Missing No. glitch in Pokémon Red, Blue, and Yellow, to the Helgan Skill Leveling Exploit(see below) and beyond, We as players have gone through the ages using and replicating(and in some cases hoping to NOT have them happen) glitches, cheats, and/or hidden exploits. What are some of your top favorite / most used in your favorite games?
---------------------------
Here are a few that I can think of off of the top of my head that I've used numerous times:

Early Leveling in Skyrim

As you come too, you realize that you got caught up in an Imperial ambush along with Ulfrick and his top lieutenants and a horse thief who was trying to flee to Hammerfall. Anyway, you're about the get a shaving from the headsman, Alduin, yadda yadda, tutorial. All that aside, at the end of the tutorial, you're given the option to either sneak past or kill a cave bear. The way this exploit works is, you posh either push Rolaf or Hadvor to the side of the cave between where you entered and a waterfall and just simply lay into him with everything you got leveling your One-handed, two-handed, block, Destruction Magic, and/or sneak perk trees maxing them out.

UPDATE: For a quicker leveling experience, I suggest only leveling two or three things to about level 40(e.g Onehanded Sword, shield and MAYBE bow or sneak). Setting the difficulty also makes it go a fair bit quicker.
Thanks SMS for reminding me about this!

You know how any time you steal from a shopkeeper they either attack or rat you out like the snitches they are? Want to get free stuff? Put a bucket over their head(s). Golden Claw for your "Claw Collection" anyone? Later on, if you have the right perk unlocked you can even sell the stuff for a few extra septems.
Every merchant has a hidden chest underground relatively close by which houses everything they bought/sell, one particular is Eorland Greymane. Where, in order to find it, head towards the gate, and instead of leaving normally, head to the left and You'll see a small alcove with a barrel. Hop on the barrel and face the wall closest to the gate and hop toward it(it may take a few attempts to get it). If done right, you'll jump out of the map(sometimes I get right on the ledge, which isn't much to worry about). Once out of the map, run along the wall to where the Skyforge is(you'll know when you see a large chunk of land missing and surrounding rock making the back of the eagle visible). Now, go right back to the wall and head towards the forge, you'll see a chest with armor, weapons, and materials for forging your own gear, or to sell back to Eorland for a good chunk of coin.
As a bunch of Zelda nerds/junkies, this should be common knowledge, right? Right?? For those of you, that's been living under a bush like a Deku Scrub, lemme explain, Throughout the entirety of the franchise, save for a game or two. There have been shops where you could, Eeeh... gamble for a lack of a better term. Basically, if you have enough money, save your file, and make a bet, if you win, save your file and keep going at it, if you lose, reload your last save and try again.

These are just the top three that I can think of right off of the top of my mind. So, what are some of your favorite or most used Cheats, Glitches and Expliots that you guys use? (insert snarky Youtuber voice) "Let us know in the comments below!"

EDIT: THIS IS IN NO WAY A MEANS A WAY TO SHARE HOW TO "GIT GUD" AT ANY ONLINE COMPETITIVE GAMES!

Last edited:

Gorozoron

wild ride
Using fairy bottles you can complete the Fire Temple in OOT without the Goron Tunic. In OOT dying to the timer that starts when you aren't wearing the Goron tunic and being revived by a fairy also resets the death timer. If you have enough bottles it is very much possible to get through the dungeon if you know what you're doing.

Only confirmed this myself with the Master Quest version when I was doing my three heart blind playthrough but I imagine it's definitely possible in the normal version of the temple.

Reactions: MW7

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
The N64 Zeldas in general are really fun to break open casually. Probably the one I use the most is abusing the collision of the guard in east clock town as a deku to enter termina field early, where I’ll usually just farm for rupees to put in the bank while waiting for the tower to open up.

One other Glitch/exploit that I've used while playing Guild Wars 1(Prophecies, Factions Nightfall, and the Proph expac Eyes of the North) is the "Portal Jump".

Basically,

Guild Wars Wiki said:
A portal jump is the crossing of an area boundary (a portal) without triggering a transition (without zoning), usually by "jumping" over the portal with a shadow step skill. When possible, this allows the player to enter otherwise unreachable areas beyond the portal.

Advantages
  • Uncovering fog for Cartography titles, as accessing the area beyond a portal can actually allow to clear additional parts of the map fog (providing the current map instance is explorable)
  • Allow for a mob-free exploration.
  • Access areas that are closed outside of quests.
  • Possibility to have an overview of how the map is built (level design). A common feature is the end of the world where the rectangle on which the map is built ends.

Source https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Portal_jump

The Portal Jump is only a PvE(Player versus Environment) exploit.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
In the Resident Evil 2 remake knife damage is tied to frame rate. That means that if you dialed all your settings down to low on PC and have even a moderately strong PC, you could turn your knife into a boss killing juggernaut of a weapon, dropping even endgame bosses in less than ten seconds.

Last edited:

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
oh man
finding safe spots where enemies cant hit you but you can hit them gotta be my favorite kind of exploit

I can't personally think of any specific ones but usually when there's a will there's a way lmfao

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
You guys probably all already know about the friendly guardian glitch in botw. I personally love this one, and I use it basically all the time. A lot of glitches in games are super difficult to make happen, like the ones in MM. I'm glad the guardian one is simple enough that I can use it to just make my life easier.
I'm curious... do you guys consider save and restore points cheats? My dad and I have a saying, which is "if the game let's you do it, it's not cheating". I've done the one OP mentioned, with the Rupee farming in LoZ. Then there's also using it to magic your way out of death in boss battles and tough areas. I'm just not sure if it qualifies considering you couldn't do it in the original versions but it's now an in-game function/mechanic.

You guys probably all already know about the friendly guardian glitch in botw. I personally love this one, and I use it basically all the time. A lot of glitches in games are super difficult to make happen, like the ones in MM. I'm glad the guardian one is simple enough that I can use it to just make my life easier.
Spoil me. :P

I'm curious... do you guys consider save and restore points cheats? My dad and I have a saying, which is "if the game let's you do it, it's not cheating".
It depends on how it's used. imo

EDIT: I just seen a meme where basically you can hold the NES Zapper right up ti the screen and pop the ducks for a perfect score. Has anyone done this?

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Now that I think about it, one glitch I was able to pull off in the first Metroid Prime game was getting the space jump boots early since I was lucky enough to have the version of the game that hadn't patched it out.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Now that I think about it, one glitch I was able to pull off in the first Metroid Prime game was getting the space jump boots early since I was lucky enough to have the version of the game that hadn't patched it out.

Doing that trick saved me about half of the frustration that I normally have trying to platform in a first person game on my last playthrough. Then I got to the point where I’m supposed to have it, and the frustration all came crashing back down on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom