• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What are some glitches/cheats/exploits you use in the games you play?

MW7

Using fairy bottles you can complete the Fire Temple in OOT without the Goron Tunic. In OOT dying to the timer that starts when you aren't wearing the Goron tunic and being revived by a fairy also resets the death timer. If you have enough bottles it is very much possible to get through the dungeon if you know what you're doing.

Only confirmed this myself with the Master Quest version when I was doing my three heart blind playthrough but I imagine it's definitely possible in the normal version of the temple.
Yes, it's definitely the same in the normal version. I've done multiple variations of minimalist runs without glitches, and I've done multiple fairies or more than 3 hearts to make it through the Fire Temple. Volvagia is the hardest part. I think this is more of a lesser known mechanic than a glitch. If you do the Water Temple first to obtain the longshot and also have the Scarecrow's song, you can actually skip the Bolero of Fire along with the Goron Tunic without glitches. You would enter Death Mountain Crater by the top entrance, jump onto the tiny island in the lava on the far right from the entrance, and longshot with the Scarecrow around to the entrance to the Temple.

In a similar way, you can skip the Zora Tunic. That is much easier than skipping the Goron Tunic. Semi-related to the Zora tunic, there is design exploit in the Water Temple that let's you skip a locked door so you can skip any small key you want. The locked door to the center column can be bypassed by entering the column in the middle section. The door there is opened by lighting a torch which means you need either a bow or Din's Fire. You can reach the middle section of the column by jumping down from higher up which can be done many ways (savewarping to the entrance and jumping to the middle level of the column, Farore's Wind, precise hookshot shots, or playing a warp song and re-entering the dungeon for example). The Water Temple also has a simple glitch to perform to skip another locked door. You can reach the alcove to raise the water to the top with a jump when it definitely appears like you aren't supposed to do so, letting you skip the locked door that normally reaches that. Combining those two skipped locked doors, you can go through the dungeon with two less keys and skip several water level changes.

My favorite little trick in the N64 version of Majora's Mask ("fixed" in 3ds I believe) is that the tree to climb up Ikana Canyon is just barely reachable with the hookshot from the edge of the riverbank. This lets you complete the Ikana region before attempting the Great Bay Temple.

There are lots of neat tricks in A Link to the Past. In the Dark World 6th dungeon Misey Mire, you can use the pegasus boots to bonk yourself against a block in the first room to just barely cross a gap that appears to require the hookshot. This seems to be an intended mechanic later in the game in Ganon's Tower to reach a fairy room, but it seemed cool to me that it applies elsewhere when I learned about it. The same dungeon is so incredibly nonlinear with multiple paths that you can finish the dungeon with four small keys leftover (many dungeons in this game let you finish with extra keys, but I think this one has the most unnecessary doors). I think the most famous exploit/trick in ALTTP is the useful of completing the 6th dungeon before the 5th so that you can use the Cane of Somaria to make a block and switch puzzle super easy. One other thing that might be common knowledge, but I know that I didn't know it until someone told me is that you can do the 4th Dark World dungeon Thieves' Town immediately after obtaining the hammer. It's just sort of awkward to stumble upon how to do it. There is a Dark World portal that appears blocked off from Kakariko Village, but you can easily circle back through the woods to bypass this and reach the dungeon. The benefit of this is that the dungeon item of Thieves' Town unlocks the upgraded sword so you can receive it slightly earlier than what might have been intended.

There are tons of fun tricks in Goldeneye 007 that speedrunners use. I won't list them all, but probably the most major trick is using guards to open locked glass in Aztec to skip fighting Jaws. Speedrunners have even found ways to do this consistently now so it's something anyone can do without much effort.

I only recently played Super Metroid for the first time, but it is an endless source of skill based tricks. You can do all sorts of crazy things in that game. I'm still not that good, but I did manage to do one major boss early and it felt like an accomplishment. Wall jumping is the most basic trick, and it opens up quite a few options in the game.

Finally, when I learned how item drops in Adventure of Link worked, it was game-changing. Once you have a healing spell, you can fight easy enemies over and over in order to grind magic drops. Enemies will respawn if you leave and reenter a room. Combining these pieces of knowledge, you can completely refill your health in seemingly dangerous places. For example in the final dungeon, there are multiple places where you can repeatedly fight simple enemies over and over until you receive enough magic to completely restore your health. This has applications all over the game and makes everything much easier to survive.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I know ive done the hide and shoot...and one in the sims that gave you a ton of money...

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Oh yeah, I literally cannot play sims without using the motherlode cheat. It is a lifesaver, especially if you just wanna build houses.
Ot was sooo long ago and I can't remember what the cheat was but i know it gave you loadsa money...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom