• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Western Civilization is dying"

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Hi so I hear on and off from random people that "western civilization is dying" or something of that sort. It's always in reference to the millennials. But I don't quite see it. Where I go for school, is nothing but smart people. And I go to a ****ty state collidge in Texas. Society in my area is generally alright, though in any society you'll get the dregs alongside the gold standard. So is western civilization dying, or is this just something the oldies like to spout to scare the young people?

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
If Trump becomes President, than I agree with the fact that this country is doomed for failure. Otherwise, it definitely isn't the great country many think it is. America is far behind in science and technology compared to other nations, and it is plagued with the ignorant and spiteful.

ectoBiologist

Still Fandom Trash
He means culturally decaying as it is diluted by foreign influences
In that regard, I think of America as a country of many races, cultures, and other differences. We have cultural influences from worldwide. That being said, we aren't the only ones, and we do have a lot of people who are hateful towards people unlike them, and those from other countries like Mexico and China (Because of the immigration issues, and Chinese workers producing our wares, and blah, blah, blah.) so that's still a problem.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Western Civilization isn't dying; it's changing, as it always has. Western Civilization was different 600 years ago in Italy than it was 80 in Germany, than now. Western Civilization moves and changes, and that's what makes society work. Whether these changes are good and bad are subjective.

He means culturally decaying as it is diluted by foreign influences

Is that such a bad thing though? Foreigners can have rich cultures that don't necessarily have to be in dispute with your own. I know I learned quite a bit from the time I was living with a Russian flatmate for instance, but his influence didn't make me "less German". I'll never understand why people are afraid of cultures different from their own when they could be embracing them. Chances are, you'll find something interesting if you just go into it with an open mind.

Lots of ways. But if I list them it will just start a long debate/flame war, so it's best not to list them.

Don't mean to nag, but why'd you bring that up in the first place if you're unwilling to discuss it?

Is that such a bad thing though? Foreigners can have rich cultures that don't necessarily have to be in dispute with your own. I know I learned quite a bit from the time I was living with a Russian flatmate for instance, but his influence didn't make me "less German". I'll never understand why people are afraid of cultures different from their own when they could be embracing them. Chances are, you'll find something interesting if you just go into it with an open mind.

Don't mean to nag, but why'd you bring that up in the first place if you're unwilling to discuss it?
Because I realized that it would be a bad idea to discuss after I had already posted it.

tehodorrusebelt

Tehodor Rusebelt
Is that such a bad thing though? Foreigners can have rich cultures that don't necessarily have to be in dispute with your own. I know I learned quite a bit from the time I was living with a Russian flatmate for instance, but his influence doesn't make me "less German". I'll never understand why people are afraid of cultures different from their own when they could be embracing them. Chances are, you'll find something interesting if you just go into it with an open mind.
Indeed, foreign cultures can be rich in tradition and a country can certainly adopt foreign traditions.

At the core of a culture there are values/principles and a political ideology which is what drives the country and keeps it healthy.
When the core values/ideology/principles of a foreign culture influence your own country then that is when cultural decaying occurs.

It all depends on the receptiveness of the country receiving these foreign influences, there are countries who naturally resist to foreign ideologies/values/principles influencing their own.
America, being the melting-pot of immigrants it is, is much more susceptible to foreign ideologies.

I am not saying cultural decay is a bad thing, but radical changes in a culture's ideology can lead it to a chaos or even a civil war, as a new generation of citizens who have essentially grown in a completely different culture strive to take control of the country. After that comes a period of stabilization and then "normalization" as the country completely absorbs its new values.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom