• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video Game Music

squadala

I don't like you either
Besides classical/baroque/romantic I am always listening to Video Game Music. Some people I know don't count it as real music, but compared to many other modern genres VGM is more musical and appealing (in my opinion). I love it either in its original state or remixed, reorchestrated, or covered. I also love 8-bit and their remixes. So besides Zelda (which is some of, if not the best music) what are your favorite VGM soundtracks? Mine is probably the mother/earthbound series and super mario galaxy 1 and 2. Great stuff!

Djinn

and Tonic
Definitely the Secret of Mana series, Final Fantasy as well. Mostly 4-6. Seven and after becomes a little too strange at times. I am also a huge fan of Mega man remixes, even in their 8bit NES sound quality they were very good. Chrono Trigger is another one, I love the original soundtrack and the symphonic versions done in later years. Almost the entire soundtrack of the game was amazing. I have actually acquired the soundtracks for Secret of mana 2, 3 and Legend of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 5, and 6 (although those two leave out a lot of songs, they are very abridged) The entirely Celtic Final Fantasy four soundtrack I thought was great as well. It was a refreshing change of pace over the usual orchestral versions of songs found in these types of collections. The rest I had to discover online through various sources.

Zelda has a very good musical tradition as well. I especially like Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. The soundtrack to Twilight Princess I found to be a little disappointing. But then again, it really was the collectible sword and shield that made me want to buy it. The more traditional sounding songs of Wind Waker were my favorite of the series. With Dragonroost, Outset Island, and the title screen theme being my favorites. I liked the more traditional villager music over the grand symphonic masterpieces that usually dominate the soundtracks.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I absolutely adore the following game's soundtracks;

Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
Pokemon (all games)
Professor Layton (has some of the most mesmorising and unforgettable tracks)
Destroy All Humans 1, 2 and 4. (I reject the existence of the Wii version. It sucked tremendously)
The Mother Series
Super Paper Mario
Portal
Half Life 2
Left for Dead 1/2
Final Fantasy (all games)

And many many more~ I don't want to type up a huge list. It's not very appealing to read/look at. :/
The LoZ games would be up there too, only these are games other than that series :P

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
I love listening to video game music! Of course I am mainly only a Zelda player, along with Mario and Pokemon. But I have Zelda's lullaby on my phone and Zelda's secret...(well it is called that but it is the famous noise that is played when Link unlocks something.) I love some of the soundtracks, even from the recent games. I love the classic Zelda one...I'm not actually sure what it is called...just the main, classic Legend of Zelda theme track/tune thing. :xd: But I also love Zelda's lullaby, I find it sweet and soothing and gentle.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Whenever people ask me what my favorite music genre is, I tell them I pretty much only listen to video game music, and they will proceed to look at me blankly and ask "how does that work?" or "what does that sound like?" Kind of frustrating actually how under-appreciated VGM is. I personally find the catchy repetition of game themes a lot more pleasant to the ears than most other music since VGM has to be composed in a way that it is still tolerable after hundreds of loops, and thus by default should be nice to listen to. Not to mention VGM can take on so many styles and really places emphasis on atmosphere, making it that much more enjoyable. I'd say 95% of my playlist is VGM, both OSTs and remixes, mostly Zelda music now that I look at it XD

Some of my favorites:
Wind Waker
Spirit Tracks
Majora's Mask
ANY AND ALL ZELDA REMIXES (I cannot get enough of these, both fan-made and commercial albums)
Okami
Super Mario Galaxy
Pokemon
Various odd Nintendo pieces I hear in SSBB/SSBM but never played the source game ^_^;
etc...

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
When I saw this thread the first games that came to mind was Silent Hill 2 & 4 since a little earlier I posted about them in another thread. The music fits the atmosphere for each scene & area perfectly.

Other games whose music (besides Zelda of course) I love are:
Ninja Gaiden series (NES)
Castlevania series (all platforms it's been on)
Earthworm Jim (Genesis)
Phantasy Star series, most notably PS4 (Genesis)
Streets of Rage series (Genesis)
Killer Instinct
Perfect Dark (N64)

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Chrono Trigger is up there as one of my favorite VGM Soundtracks. Aside from that the soundtracks I love are...

Final Fantasy (all games, but VII, IX, and VI are tied for my favorite)

Pokemon (Every. Single. Game. Mystery Dungeon 2 and B/W stand out, though)

Mario (Every. Single. Game. But SMG2, PMTTYD, and M&LSS stand out)

Okami

MOTHER/EarthBound (MOTHER 2/EarthBound and MOTHER 3 stand out, though)

There are others, but I don't feel like listing them. :P

S

spiderbrush

My favorite Video Game OSTs would have to be:

Okami
Shadow of the Colossus
Eternal Sonata

And also, while perhaps not my *favorites*, I also enjoy Tales of the Abyss's, Tales of Symphonia's and Dragon Quest VIII's.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I've always enjoyed video game music. One specific memory from when I was really little sticks out for me. My sister and I were jumping on a bed and running around in circles while having Donkey Kong Country on pause during the first boss battle. Rather strange memory, yes, but it was tons of fun. Really sticks out in my childhood for some reason.

*Ahem* Well, anyway, onto the video game music I listen to... Some of my favorite VGM soundtracks come from these games:

- Chrono Cross (& Chrono Trigger)
Truly a masterpiece. I can't get enough of this soundtrack. Chrono Trigger also has an excellent soundtrack, but I happen to favor Chrono Cross more. Both have very memorable tunes, but I've always felt more attached to the Chrono Cross soundtrack. Chrono Cross is currently my favorite video game soundtrack, and Time's Scar from Chrono Cross is one of my favorite songs, period.

- Final Fantasy series (Including some of the spin-offs)
Pretty much every one I've played has good music, but the best part is that you can always count on a few exceptional tracks that truly define each game in the series. My particular favorite musically is FF6, and my favorite track from FF6 is Terra's Theme.

- The Legend of Zelda series
Same as above. My favorite game, musically, is Majora's Mask, my favorite track from MM is Clock Town Day 2. Stone Tower Temple is a very, very close second. However Clock Town Day 2 just defines the game for me.

- TES: III Morrowind
This one is one of the only video game soundtracks actually on my MP3 player. Partially because it was a gift, so I didn't have to buy it myself, partially because the music from this game is actually pretty good, and it's grown on me. My favorite is Call to Magic, the theme that plays in the main menu. Very adventurous feel to it.

- Kingdom Hearts series
Most of my favorites are ones that don't come from disney movies and were made for non-disney parts of the game, but I really enjoy most of the battle remixes. It's just that the overworld themes in disney areas are usually based on songs with lyrics, and I prefer the lyrical versions. (Haha, how weird am I for enjoying original disney songs?) Also, I really enjoy both the English and Japanese versions of the Utada songs in the series.

Of course, there are probably a good many that I'm missing here, or didn't go into enough detail about. Age of Wonders, Brave Fencer Musashi, Neverwinter Nights, Donkey Kong series... Even games I've never or hardly played like Portal and Mirror's Edge. I could go on for some time, so I'll stop myself now. Basically, if I finished a game, there's probably a track or two from it I enjoyed. The ones I listed have music I enjoyed the most/that was very memorable.

i have tons of video game music i listen to.
Here are a few.
DKC 1,2,3.
Metroid, S.M, MP 1, 2, 3.
Manic Miner.
Jet Set Willy 2.
Double Dragon 1,2,3.
Super Star Wars, S R O T J, S E S B.
Doom 1,2,3.
MegaMan 1,2,3,4,5,6, and x.
And video game music is real music.
Mario 1,2,3.
Mario 64.
Mario the lost levels.
Mario World.:cool:
Yoshi's Island.:cool:

Soundtracks... I'll say my faves for each game
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Weird kids on the block)
Yume Nikki (Abandoned Desert Village)
Cave Story (Opression)
Megaman 2 (Dr. Wily Stage 1)
Ocarina of Time (Spirit Temple)
Final Fantasy III/VI (tie between Dancing Mad and Kefka's theme)
Super Metroid (Ridley's Lair)
Lord of the Rings [SNES] (the Shire theme)
Final Fantasy II/IV (Redwings)
Super Back to the Future 2 (Main theme)
Mother (tie between Dangerous Foe and Mt. Itoi)
Earthbound (Pokey Means Business)
Pokemon Silver (Champion theme)
Zelda 2 (Great Palace)

Caeda

Keyblade Master
Some of my favorite video games' music:

Legend of Zelda:
Wind Waker (Staff Credits)
Twiight Princess (Hyrule Field)
Ocarina of Time (Title)
and the rest

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (too many to count)

Kingdom Hearts 2 (Sanctuary)

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (Title and opening)

and-

SUPER SMASH BROS BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (again, too many to count)

I like video game music. I find it to be very fun and entertaining. My favourite soundtrack's is from Fire Emblem, doesn't matter what game it is, there will be a soundtrack I either love or like. Like in Shadow Dragon: Tiki's Theme, Little Divine Dragon.

Castlevania soundtrack's are pretty awesome as well, especially from Judgement, even though half of them are just remix's.

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Finally someone who agrees with me about Video Game Music.

Non LoZ cuz I like just about all LoZ BGM's

Mine would be Goemon Mystical Ninja(N64)

I especially love Bizen, Yamato, and Izumo, and the various castle themes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom