• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic Ura Zelda, The Lost Quest

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Ura Zelda was the Japanese title, directly translating to 'Next Zelda' I believe.

I suppose even that could be a misinterpretation of what Ura Zelda is, in calling it Next Zelda. Seems to be more of an Expansion Zelda than Next. Next almost seems like they are referring to a completely new game. Or, as I would theorize, next would be referring to next quest. As in, a second quest, much like the original Legend of Zelda.

I think I've come to conclusions and this is what I thought was part of UraZelda...

--A Second Adventure with Re-Arranged Dungeons (Masterquest).
--Expansion of the Mask sidequest including the Gameboy Camera thingy (Was confirmed before in an article) Feel this is what spawned Majora's Mask.
--New Areas, New Charachters (to an extent). I think Nintendo exagerated this a bit and I think this was directly related to the Mask sidequests. The new charachters involved the mask trading. I'm uncertain about New areas, but perhaps just expansions of current areas. I don't think they did so much in the way of creating entirely new landscape with this addition.

I think their would be a re-arrangement of the overworld items a bit as well.

Overal though, I think the main story was completely unchanged from Ocarina of Time and all the changes were strictly to change the gameplay only.

No, Ura Zelda had nothing to do with MM. Although ura zelda does mean another zelda, this other Zelda was alpha OoT and became the Master quest which lacked what was originally meant to be.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Avenged said:
No, Ura Zelda had nothing to do with MM. Although ura zelda does mean another zelda, this other Zelda was alpha OoT and became the Master quest which lacked what was originally meant to be.

I understand what you are saying when you say it had nothing to do with MM, but I'm looking at it more generally. Of course Ura Zelda is completely different than MM. It was a completely different game. It was more of an expansion on OOT. We know that

But, what I believe happened is that Nintendo was coming to think that the chance Ura Zelda was actually going to be released was less and less. I think most would agree that Ura Zelda was under production much earliar than Zelda Gaiden/Majora's Mask. One of the main new features in Ura Zelda was supposed to be support of the GB Camera to create custom masks, and if not that, users could create masks in Talent Studio and import them into the game.

Ura Zelda was under production from before the Ocarina of Time was even released. Yet it wasn't until August of 99, almost a year after OOT's release, that it was confirmed that Ura Zelda and Majora's Mask were different games.
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/069/069749p1.html

Then just a month later, a new article popped up at IGN showing the differences between Majora's Mask and Ura Zelda.
http://ign64.ign.com/articles/070/070674p1.html

What I'm saying is that, the entire Mask quest in Majora's Mask originated from the ideas of Ura Zelda. I don't think it is a fair statement to say they have no relation to eachother.

Yeah I didnt understand fully of what you said, but yes there was in fact a larger Mask quest in OoT and creation of your own custom Masks with the DD.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Well, check back at all the posts in this thread and you'll find a lot more information on Ura Zelda that would answer your questions :)

To sum it up, no it's unknown what was really in the final versions of Ura Zelda, since it's never been released and all we can go by are quotes from Nintendo that don't have anything to back them up. According to them it made it much further than beta and it was actually finished.

To correct that Master Quest is final ura. Its actually caleld Ura OoT in japan. But what we really don't know too much of is what it originally was meant to be.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
**Bump**

I think we've touched on almost everything there is to talk about on Ura Zelda, but I'm sure there are some new opinions from other members.

Few new questions that I pose for Ura Zelda. Have we heard the end of it? While the fans for the most part know there is more to it than what was released in Master Quest, do you think that MQ is just a scapegoat so now Nintendo doesn't have to talk about Ura Zelda anymore.

If only Nintendo had some 'FBI/CIA like rules' where they can only hold information locked for 30 years. (Imagines new details of Ura Zelda 20 years from now, lol).

Too me, it seems like, this topic will be brought up every so often when it comes to the big shots in the Zelda world, but it will always be shot down with a (points to MasterQuest). Treating us as if they think we don't know what we are talking about.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
**Bump**

I think we've touched on almost everything there is to talk about on Ura Zelda, but I'm sure there are some new opinions from other members.

Few new questions that I pose for Ura Zelda. Have we heard the end of it? While the fans for the most part know there is more to it than what was released in Master Quest, do you think that MQ is just a scapegoat so now Nintendo doesn't have to talk about Ura Zelda anymore.

If only Nintendo had some 'FBI/CIA like rules' where they can only hold information locked for 30 years. (Imagines new details of Ura Zelda 20 years from now, lol).

Too me, it seems like, this topic will be brought up every so often when it comes to the big shots in the Zelda world, but it will always be shot down with a (points to MasterQuest). Treating us as if they think we don't know what we are talking about.

Bumping after you
i don 't thing we have talked about everthing about this subject.
we only discussed Ura zelda in general.

now what i always wonders is the remaining files.
like for instance we all know that the beamblade was left out.
but things like, why there were arwings of starfox64 were in the game is unclear to me?
were they testing out the target system or something?

by the way, i'm not sure if i'm not the only one who thinks this way but i was thinking that they wanted to make link in Alttp style in 3d. i mean he had brown hair, blue shield that he was always holding in his right hand. also the sword desing looks like the white sword.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=oXtl4wcUlDw
now i payed a lot of attention on this.
things i have noticed is that it had smoother motion here.
the way how he slashes his sword looks like the motion like slashing in PH.
and for a brief moment, at 00:19 and 00:20 you actualy see the mortal draw motion.

Last edited:

linkman8

True and Noble
I see what you mean, the sword mechanics are smoother and have 3-5 hit combo-type deals.
I don't know if it's just the video, but it seems a little glitchy. It freezes for a second almost every 5 seconds.

Ura zelda always confounded me, and I would continuasly look through OoT every way i could. Things, such as when you go into the ice Cavern, theres a wall that is mapped oddly, you wlak up to it and turn the camera, and it looks as if there was another exit to the room, as it extends further, but it is covered with 'ice' and you cant get to it. Other things are such as the Garudo's in the valley when you are young Link. if there is no way you should be bale to get over the fence ebsides gltiching, then why would they have the programming to react to link being there like when Adult Link is in the fortress?

Finally, somthing I have mentioned severla times before: my game's glitch. As i have mentioned in both the last podcast for AZ, and a few threads here, My game got a save file that was greyed out, with the word's Disk' atached to the other side of the file with a link like you see by the name, connecting to the profile. I could not access the file in any way, in fact, it felt like I actually needed somthing to patch it so i could in fact access the game again. Could I have accidently caused that file to switch to a 'Ura Zelda only' file that required the DD and the second disk to access it now? who knows.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I don't think so, but it's possible. That seems like just some type of glitch to your copy of the game, nohing that was purposely intended.

To me it seems... releasing Master Quest was Nintendo's way of putting closure to the topic. Them saying... 'okay fine, you guys asked for Ura Zelda, here it is'. Little did they know that us Zelda people were never going to accept that this was all Ura Zelda was.

Hopefully... sometime in the next decade... we'll get more information on what actually happened... If something else did happen that we don't know of.

I know it was a glitch, but the word 'Disk atached like it was made it look like it was part of the game, like it had always meant to do that, also, the screan chnaged to alow the extra space for the word 'disk'... odd

I agree, hopefully Nintendo will eventually unveil what Ura Zelda trully was...

Ura zelda always confounded me, and I would continuasly look through OoT every way i could. Things, such as when you go into the ice Cavern, theres a wall that is mapped oddly, you wlak up to it and turn the camera, and it looks as if there was another exit to the room, as it extends further, but it is covered with 'ice' and you cant get to it. Other things are such as the Garudo's in the valley when you are young Link. if there is no way you should be bale to get over the fence ebsides gltiching, then why would they have the programming to react to link being there like when Adult Link is in the fortress?

Finally, somthing I have mentioned severla times before: my game's glitch. As i have mentioned in both the last podcast for AZ, and a few threads here, My game got a save file that was greyed out, with the word's Disk' atached to the other side of the file with a link like you see by the name, connecting to the profile. I could not access the file in any way, in fact, it felt like I actually needed somthing to patch it so i could in fact access the game again. Could I have accidently caused that file to switch to a 'Ura Zelda only' file that required the DD and the second disk to access it now? who knows.

That glitch that you speak of is a very old finding and is nothing of importance. Ura Zelda was completed guys, but with the major failure of the 64DD they did not release it. A few years later they released a partial version of it on the GCN. Miyamoto said himself that Ura Zelda (which meant another Zelda) did in fact have new dungeons, new areas, new items, and overall new quests (not just redesigned dungeons).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom