• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Twlight Princess: Gamecube Vs Wii Version

Wii or GC version

• Wii version

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GC version

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dumb180

Warrior Postman
Ok, so I can't find my Wii version of TP for the life of me, and I'm thinking about getting a new copy- possibly the gamecube version this time. I never had a gamecube, but I've been pretty pleased with the gamecube controller I got to play VC games. I guess somewhat relevant is the fact that I kinda disliked the Wii version's controls.

For those of you who have had a chance to play both versions, would you recommend one over the other? Also, does the gamecube version have a control scheme similar to the VC versions of OoT and MM?

Last edited:

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I have played both, and I think the GCN version is better. Let me tell you the control scheme: A is most of the commands (open, throw, etc.), B is sword and wolf attacks, C is control camera, this is something that was missing from the Wii version, and this is something definitely good to have, Up and Down on the D-pad brings up the item menu, left and right on the D-pad brings up the map, The joystick moves Link (I wonder how I knew that :P), L is target and shield, R is shield attack and push, X and Y are items, Z is talk to Midna. So there are less item buttons, but it isn't that big of a deal really.

Din Akera

Sniper
For those of you who have had a chance to play both versions, would you recommend one over the other? Also, does the gamecube version have a control scheme similar to the VC versions of OoT and MM?

The GC version is sooo much better! I have a bit of an intense position on this topic. XD The game was originally designed and intended to be produced on the GC, though the Wii port was released first. So, yes, the controls on the GC version are better, because they were the original intention! But, everyone got all excited about motion control. Now, I'm not saying that the Wii controls were bad, they were cool. But I did have some trouble. I didn't like the placement to hold the items on the screen. I think the only control that was implemented better on the Wii rather than on the GC was the spin attack. Being able to simply shake the nunchuk was a lot faster than holding down B, but holdingt he sword button down was what we were all used to from the last games anyway.

I tell you what really upsets me about the whole thing. The map flip. Now, most people say whatever, it really doesn't matter, but I don't like it one bit. To be totally honest, I don't understand why a change of hand requires a map flip. That was the other thing, the left to right had swap. Now, again most people i have talked to have abosolutely no issues with this, but i really do. I am a huge fan of the fact that Link is left-handed and was more than wierded out when he came out right-handed for the Wii TP, but was still a lefty for the GC TP. I have issues with the flip that I really can't even explain well, but this was my main reason fro not liking the Wii version, not the control scheme. I guess the best way to put it is that it isn't canon, but even then, I don't like that sentence. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way that the game was designed for one system and then ported to a different one and had to be changed so extensively for the port to work. I would just rather play the original...wouldn't you?

Last edited:
L

link mad

Best TP?

Hi:)

I Want to get TP as my next zelda game but which is the best, gamecube or wii?

Thanks!:)

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Depends on which controls you prefer. And if it bothers you that the game is flipped for the Wii version.

Personally, I much prefer archery, using the clawshot, etc, with the Wii version. All you have to do is point the Wiimote at the screen. The controls for attacks are more average, and in particular the game has a tendency to interpret a shield attack as a spin attack. The first is never really necessary, and that never really stopped me from using it anyway, but it's a minor annoyance.

There's a chance the Wii attack controls could bother someone with wrist problems, since they involve shaking the Wiimote. Probably won't apply to most people, but you never know who it might apply to, so thought I'd mention it anyway.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
Sigh. I hate it when people ask this cause other people start saying which ever one they have is the best. It's a preference. (Not to say the people above me did)

If you're like me, and you like to keep up with the modern day controls, get the Wii. The new controls are fun to use and it is, thus far, one of the best representations of what the Wii controls have to offer. You get a whole new experience in playing Zelda

However, if you like Link being left handed and keeping the classicness of controls and the Zelda world, get the gamecube version.

It's really a matter of if you want to move on to the next generation of Zelda or if you want a more classic feel to Zelda.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I've never played the Wii version as Human Link (only trekked through Lake Hylia as Wolfie at my uncle's house), but I think you ought to get the Wii version. It has a bit more to offer in the way of minority (faster load times, 16:9 display, better gameplay supposedly), but has less glitches than the GameCube version. The GameCube version is more of a classic Zelda rather than a modern one, because all you do is smash buttons. It just depends on the person, I only have the GC version myself. Oh, one thing that the GC version has over the Wii is a controllable camera. You can zoom in and out with the C stick, but that isn't present on the Wiimote. The GC version's map is also the canon version.

I guess the biggest difference is the controls, the fact that everything is mirrored in the Wii version (remember that TP was a GC game at first) and all of the confusion that goes along with that. Overall, I'd say Wii version.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It is like RP said. If you really want to keep the typical Zelda mood you should go for the GC but otherwise go for the wii. I like it better and the controls are not that horrible at all. You only have to point your remote to the screen and that's not hard to do. I also like the sound you hear through your remote. It gives you a kinda feeling you are actually in the game.

Get the Wii version.

It looks better, it has widescreen support, you can assign more items to buttons, and the controls are better (Pointer FTW!!)

You also get Club Nintendo coins if you get the Wii version.

Edit: Like the others said, the sound from the Wiimote gives the experience depth, and if you don't like it you can always turn the sound off in the HOME Menu. The pointer controls are optional too, you can turn them off in the options.

Also, the camera thing isn't really a big deal, it's like OoT and MM, you can fix it by Z-targeting.

Last edited:

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Well, I own, and have beaten both versions for about a dozen times each, so, here is my quick opinion:

The Gamecube version is better, if you played wind waker, and, to some extent majora's mask and ocarina of time, then the controls will feel natural, and it will make it easier to adapt. The only downside is that in the Gamecube version you can only have two items selected, as Z works to call Midna.

Apart from that, the Wii version has less good controls(not that they are bad, but they aren't that good), and it's only major advantage is an additional item selection slot.

Well, I own, and have beaten both versions for about a dozen times each, so, here is my quick opinion:

The Gamecube version is better, if you played wind waker, and, to some extent majora's mask and ocarina of time, then the controls will feel natural, and it will make it easier to adapt. The only downside is that in the Gamecube version you can only have two items selected, as Z works to call Midna.

Apart from that, the Wii version has less good controls(not that they are bad, but they aren't that good), and it's only major advantage is an additional item selection slot.

How are they "less good"? The Wiimote and Nunchuk feel natural as they are. I say get with the day, and get the Wii version since Skyward Sword will have similar controls to it.

Alex Arbiter

That Random Guy
Overall the gamecube version costs more than the wii version, but the gamecube version is well worth the buy compared to the wii version. It just feels better control wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom