• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

TPHD-Wii U TPHD First Impressions

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
The Twilight Sections make so much more sense aesthetically. It now uses proper juxtaposition in regards to the light now. Instead of just looking murky all the time, it actually uses it in a fantastic contradiction to the light world and twilight realm. I am a big fan of this.

Okay, I can confirm that the Amiibo works after the first Tears of Light collection quest. And I love it, though having to reactivate it after you die is a little annoying. On the plus side, not wanting to do that all the time gives an extra incentive to try and stay alive. :P

I've finished the Forest Temple, and while it's still one of my favourite dungeons in the game, they unfortunately dumbed down one of the puzzles.
The part that originally had you blow away some leaves or something on the ground to make the order of which you have to activate the spinning wheels or whatever those are called appear now has the debris removed, with the right path for the boomerang clearly visible right from the start. I'm disappointed with that change to be honest. That puzzle was tricky and had me stumped for a while when I played the original, but it wasn't too hard and there was no reason to remove this.
I have also decided that the lantern is pretty much useless now apart from the few things you have to burn, and so exchanged the oil I got from afro guy for a much needed second red potion.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Also can confirm. TPHD definitely doesn't look "exactly" like TP.
WVW69i9agEA0QDl7g6

WVW69i9akSo5jh2NoR

Nope, it doesn't. The level of detail on walls and the ground is amazing, as is looking up into the sky. That said, I find it a little inconsistent. Trees still look really weird up close, and they stand out even more now when the surroundings look this good. I also feel like not all of the models got the same amount of care put into them. Link looks amazing, but his wolf form isn't too breathtaking in comparison.

Well I've got this sitting at home, I'm planning on jumping into it in a few hours. Is anyone currently playing with Hero Mode + Ganondorf? If so, how is that turning out? I'm considering playing with both on, but I get the feeling that the first few sections of the game could be more annoying than enjoyable early on with 4x damage.

Well I've got this sitting at home, I'm planning on jumping into it in a few hours. Is anyone currently playing with Hero Mode + Ganondorf? If so, how is that turning out? I'm considering playing with both on, but I get the feeling that the first few sections of the game could be more annoying than enjoyable early on with 4x damage.

I'm doing that. I've got only four heart containers at the moment, so it definitely is brutal. Most things kill you in two hits. The Ganondorf Amiibo is only available after the first Tears of Light collection though, so early game isn't that bad, especially since early enemies normally deal only half a heart of damage anyway.

I'm definitely having fun with the combination, and I'm dying a whole lot. :P

Boy, the frame rate drops are unbearable. Being near the Poison Fog kills my Wii U.

That's weird, because I've got a few noticable frame rate drops in some fights, but that area gives me no trouble at all.

It gets a lot more bearable after clearing the First Section of Twilight, because you have to go through the entirety of it without any health options until you kill your first Shadow Beast.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Does anyone know what the deal with miiverse stamps is? I haven't found any, nor have I seen any messages to far. Do they unlock at a certain point in the game? Has anyone found any of these and how early on?
You find them in chests. The first one I found was in the forest temple

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The part that originally had you blow away some leaves or something on the ground to make the order of which you have to activate the spinning wheels or whatever those are called appear now has the debris removed, with the right path for the boomerang clearly visible right from the start. I'm disappointed with that change to be honest. That puzzle was tricky and had me stumped for a while when I played the original, but it wasn't too hard and there was no reason to remove this.
Actually, that puzzle's always been that way. The one you're thinking of is in Hyrule Castle, not Forest Temple.

Anyway, I don't have a Wii U so I won't be playing this game for quite a while, but those screenshots look great! Glad y'all are having fun with it.

Actually, that puzzle's always been that way. The one you're thinking of is in Hyrule Castle, not Forest Temple.

Really? Are you sure about that? Because I could have sworn I was stuck on that in the Forest Temple back then. One of these days I'll play my original copy to check that. :)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I've done just over 4 hours of the game so far today. Hero mode on. I must say that the mode is greatly welcomed and it feels like combat is more dangerous since the penalty is actually losing a decent amount of hearts.

Some areas look very nice with the new textures however I still believe character models should have been replaced or updated and scenery also updated. Hyrule field does not look pleasant and no amount of texturing will cover up the ugly landscape and unnatural rock formations.

I am loving the story and Midna of course. I have deliberately held off playing this game for a couple of years after seeing in the tealeaves an HD game would come out. This is definitely the best way to play TP and I'm pleased with the purchase.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Maybe it looks different on TV, but just going by the caps and the game(GC) I have running right now....yeah, it looks almost identical. I think people severely underestimate what the GC version was capable of. But I guess I'll see for sure when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom