• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Top 10 Metroid Games

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Excluding Pinball, I know there are only 10 official Metroid games, but that's enough for a Top 10 list, so I figured, "Why not make one?" So I have. Enjoy! :D

#10 -- Metroid

Yes, the original Metroid. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad game by any means, but it hasn't aged well at all (especially in the controls department), and quite frankly, literally every other canonical release has surpassed it in some shape or form. I'm sure it was great in its day and age, but it's pretty mediocre compared to most other titles in the franchise.

#9 -- Metroid II: The Return of Samus

Most people consider this to be the black sheep of the franchise, and I can understand why, but it improved on the original title in every way possible. The controls were better, it was less cryptic, the music was more enjoyable, and the boss fights were on a whole other level. I'll be the first to admit that the camera was a bit too close, but that doesn't stop the overall design from being better than the first game. I actively enjoy this game, whereas I only somewhat enjoy the other.

#8 -- Metroid Prime: Hunters

This game's controls were a bit awkward for me, but I wouldn't quite call them bad. They functioned well and were manageable enough to get the hang of. I stress to this day, though, that this is merely a clone of the Prime-style of Metroid. A Prime wannabe, if you will, and not just because it wasn't made by Retro. It's just a first-person Metroid game that tried to cash in on the name Metroid Prime. Still, that doesn't stop it from being a good game in its own right. The main campaign was pretty decent, and the multiplayer was utter brilliance. It's a pretty fun game, just not up to snuff with what it was trying to imitate.

#7 -- Metroid: Other M

I bet you were wondering where this was going to be since it wasn't at the bottom of the list.

Oh boy, I'm probably gonna take some heat for this, but I don't give a crap. This was a great game. Yes, I said it. It was a GREAT GAME. It's unbelievable how underrated this game is. Sure, the script was ludicrous, and the story wasn't executed very well, but the gameplay was fantastic. The run 'n gun action was long overdue, and, not to knock the Prime trilogy, but the return to the series' third-person roots was a welcome breath of fresh air. The controls could use a bit of refinement, yes, but they functioned without issues and were nowhere near as clunky as people say. The level design was built around the D-pad limitations, as Samus is generally running down straight paths like in the sidescrolling games, and there's never a point where players are required to stay in first-person for more than a couple seconds, so not being able to move isn't that big of a deal. I admit that a Nunchuk would have been a better choice, but the controls were still fine as they were. I really hope the GamePad is used to perfect this game's control scheme in order to bring us Another M (obviously not with that title). The world needs to see that first-person Metroid is not the only way to go in a 3D environment.

Oh, by the way. The story may be linear, but about halfway through the game, the BOTTLE SHIP becomes your playground, providing classic Metroid exploration. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

#6 -- Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

This game followed up Prime extremely well despite being the weakest of the trilogy. It did what the second entry in any gaming trilogy should do; it was darker, it was harder, and it built on the foundation of its predecessor by trying out new ideas. This game took the series in directions no one was expecting, both in story and in level design. It's kind of sad that it didn't outdo Prime, but can you really blame it? That's a hard game to outdo in general. It still holds its own as a great entry into a great franchise, though, so there's not much sense in complaining.

#5 -- Metroid Fusion

The first Metroid game to be released for the GameBoy Advance, Metroid Fusion was a superb entry into the Metroid franchise. Its only downfall was how extremely linear it was. People say Other M was the most linear Metroid game, but it's just not comparable to how much of a straight shot Fusion is. Nevertheless, the level design is fantastic, and the controls were a fine improvement over Super Metroid's. It was also insanely creepy, greatly due to the SA-X constantly appearing and being invincible until the end of the game. The only question is how Samus will get her Power Suit back in a future title. That could be a problem. :/

#4 -- Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Some people say this is too different from the other two Prime games and that makes it not as good, but I say Screw Attack that. (Get it? Ah? Ahhh? ...Yeah, that was lame.)

Metroid Prime 3 is an amazing game. Sure, the beam switching was taken out, and it could be a bit tedious to have to point the Wii Remote at the screen at all times, but the level design was generally top-notch, and the motion controls' accuracy was spot-on. Enemies also moved around a lot more due to the ability to aim while moving, making the combat much faster and more action-packed, upping the overall challenge. The icing on the cake, though, was how it, like Prime 2 did with its respective place, was what the third game in a trilogy should be. The stakes were at their highest, and everything started out at an all-time low for the protagonist, Samus. This is one of the best titles on the Wii, as well as one of the best titles in the franchise. (I have nothing more to say on the subject.)

#3 -- Metroid: Zero Mission

This is how a remake is done. While the original Metroid itself may not have aged well, Zero Mission showed it can still thrive today by stepping up everything about it. Complete areas were redesigned, and loads of extra content and secret paths were added in, as well power-ups from Super Metroid that weren't featured in the original game. Short cutscenes were included, as well, a couple wich featured Samus in the Zero Suit, a reboot of how Samus activated her Power Suit. Oh, and you could play as Zero Suit Samus in a stealth mission after beating the game. That's just amazing post-game content. The original Metroid was also available as an unlockable for those without an NES (or just without the cartridge) who were looking to play the game that started it all. Plus, there there was a great deal of fan service for the guys with many somewhat sensual images of Samus. It was a hardcore Metroid fan's dream come true.

#2 -- Super Metroid

You probably knew this would either be here or at the #1 spot. It's just an understood law among the Metroid fanbase. And for a reason. Super Metroid is the example of you make a 2D sidescrolling Metroid. No, a 2D sidescrolling Action/Adventure game, period. Without a doubt the best game on the SNES, Super Metroid perfected what the first two games started. The controls were fluent, you could shoot in eight directions, the level design wasn't cryptic, new powers were available for use, and the atmosphere was second to none due to incredible visuals and a bone-chilling soundtrack. It still stands today as one of the greatest games ever made, and it always will. There was nothing in this game left unpolished. But there's still one more spot left on this list. One game that managed to outdo this masterpiece. And that game is...

#1 -- Metroid Prime

Process of elimination basically gave this away, but still. A Metroid game that outdid Super. That's insane. Ridiculously enough, people thought this game was going to suck due to it being in first-person prior to its release. Pfft. From the freakin' title screen theme, those people were proven wrong. Beginning to end, this game was an absolute masterpiece -- borderline flawless. Just like Super improved on everything about the first two titles, Prime improved on everything about Super. The controls, level design, atmosphere, and soundtrack were all mind-boggling to no end. What's crazy about all this is this was Retro Studios' first game to be released. Miyamoto helped them, sure, but it's still incredible that the first game a company released was their finest work. (Although it's also kind of a shame that they haven't managed to top it yet...) If someone were to call this the greatest game ever made, I wouldn't debate that claim. I wouldn't agree, but I can absolutely see why someone would say that. It's without a doubt worthy of being in the top ten list of the greatest games ever created, arguably the top five. Very few things could have been executed better in this game, and that's just not something that can be said very often. And that's why it's #1 on this list.

Last edited:
Not going to into detail so... (if we weren't excluding pinball my tenth would be different)

10. Metroid Other M
9. Metroid 2: Return of Samus
8. Metroid: Hunters
7. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
6. Metroid
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
4. Metroid Fusion
3. Metroid: Zero mission
2. Super Metroid
1. Metroid Prime

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
I haven't been playing Metroid games for very long, but I think I'm able to rock up a quick little first impressions-esce list. Haven't played Hunters, so I'll leave it out. Games in bold are yet to be beat.

9. Metroid II: Return of Samus
8. Metroid
7. Metroid: Other M
6. Metroid Fusion
5. Metroid: Zero Misson
4. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
3. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
2. Metroid Prime
1. Super Metroid

Last edited:

TheRizardon

poog tnalp yknuhc
I haven't played a lot of Metroid Games, but these are my top ones.

1.Metroid Prime
2.Super Metroid
3.Metroid Fusion
4.Metroid Zero Mission

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I haven't gotten around to a few of these, but from what I can tell of them here's where I stand:

10: Metroid: Other M (looks very misogynist, I'm avoiding this one.)
9-7: Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus, Metroid Prime: Hunters (I haven't played any of these and don't really know too much about them to make a definitive stance)
6: Super Metroid (Also have not played this, but it looks pretty darn good. Not the absolute best thing from the SNES (that would be Chrono Trigger) but it comes close.)
5: Metroid Fusion. I got about to the halfway point then hit a brick wall and couldn't advance forward. Still pretty cool, and very creepy, but the fact that I can't finish it really sucks. Plus it's way more linear than I'm used to in a Metroid game.
4: Metroid: Zero Mission. Finished it, had a blast. Especially when it got to the stealth portion, I was scared for my life then!
3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. I think it's a fantastic game for the Wii, the controls are fluid-smooth, the action is amped-up from before leading to unique fights (like that charge for the Pirate homeworld Leviathan - wow!). However, I didn't like the fact that I couldn't switch out beams, and I still haven't been able to beat it yet. Damn you Phaaze, why do you have to be so hard!?
2: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. I've beaten this game so many times I've lost track. I loved the dimension-shifting and the dark story to this game. The boss fights were gigantic (as per usual - but holy crap Quadraxis could squash you without even noticing!), the exploration was fantastic, and the doppelganger added an interesting twist. My only complaint is that I didn't like the other beams quite as much and pretty much stuck to my regular beam for most of the game.
1: Metroid Prime. ...I can't think of anything this game did wrong. I'm not even joking, it did everything pretty much perfect. It's in my list of 7 best games of all time for a reason.

10. Metroid
9. Metroid II: Return of Samus
8. Metroid Prime Hunters
6. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
5. Metroid Prime 3: Corrruption
4. Metroid: Zero Mission
3. Metroid Fusion
2. Super Metroid
1. Metroid Prime

While I've played all of these, I have yet to beat about half. Having seen enough gameplay though, I stand by this ranking. Super Metrioid and Metroid Prime are both so ingenious it's hard to place one over the other. On the opposite end of thee spectrum, I'm not too fond of the classics.

Austin

Austin
I hate descending order.

1. Metroid Prime 2
2. Metroid Prime
3. Metroid Fusion
4. Metroid
5. Metroid Zero Mission
6. Metroid Prime 3
7. Metroid II

10. Metroid II: Return of Samus
9. Metroid Prime Hunters
8. Metroid
7. Super Metroid
6. Zero Mission
5. Fusion
4. Prime
3. Other M
2. Echoes
1. Corruption

Other: Pinball.... because well.... pinball.

10. Metroid II: Return of Samus
9. Metroid
8. Metroid Prime: Hunters
6. Metroid Prime: Echoes
5. Metroid Fusion
4. Metroid Prime: Corruption
3. Metroid: Zero Mission
2. Super Metroid
1. Metroid Prime

Kazumi

chagy