• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Title Screen Appreciation

Who here appreciates title screens? A lot of people just see the title screen as a link between the gameplay and popping the disc in the machine, when a lot of title screens are very intricate and have good music? Some of my favorite title screens of all time are Ocarina of Time's, Twilight Princess's, Metroid Prime's, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes's, and Halo CE's. A lot of title screens are epic and have stunning music. Many title screens show fantastic, trailer-like clips of intense gameplay and cutscenes. Some title screens really immerse you into the game- I can't count how many times I've attempted to recreate Ocarina of Time's title screen while playing (With limited success, there's a lot of variables, like sunrise and getting Epona to neigh and rear up on her back legs) and all the times I've recreated Twilight Princess's title screen pretty well.

Anyone else appreciate title screens?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Actually most of the title screens you mentioned I like plus MM and Chrono Trigger on the DS had an amazing title screen sequence also and when I get a game I always see what it's title screen video is at least once.

I really can't wait to see SwS's Title screen video.

I think the best title screens somehow suck you in or get you pumped for the game, so I don't think its merely a matter of a cool logo + cool music, although music is important for setting tone. Among those you listed there, Heros, I would agree that most of those are impressive title screens. I'm somewhat reluctant to give Ocarina of Time that compliment, however, since I felt that its tone was relaxing and failed to give me an impression of adventure. Maybe that's just me, though.

Prime 1 and 2? By far the best title screens ever produced. Music, tone, everything. They both contained some of the best tracks in the entire game, and perfectly sucked me in. Every time I boot up either I just want to sit there and enjoy the title screen. They were as good as the games themselves.

Even simple title screens have worked, though, in a case like Donkey Kong Country Returns. All this was was slowly moving clouds, the logo, and some music, but the music especially helped with the emotion of seeing Donkey Kong Country again after so long. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was interesting as far as title screens go since it was practically part of the gameplay, but I think it could have been handled better personally.

When it comes down to it, a title screen is just a mild component of the game, but just as the beginning of the game is important to draw the player in, the title screen is important to get them interested in playing. Like in the days of the arcades you had title screens + an attract mode (gameplay clips) to draw you in. Obviously with a console game you're already drawn in, but I still think the sequence, if brief and insignificant, is worth the time necessary to treat it like art in itself.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I don't really find any deep meaning to title screens, but there are some really lovely ones out there. The one that keeps coming to mind at the moment is for Pokemon SoulSilver. It's just mesmerizing! I do like TP's one for sure as well.

As far as I'm concerned title screens are a hangover from arcade gaming. Yeah they are pretty and all, but while in arcades games are left on without people playing them generally if you switch on a game you may as well be taken to the main menu. I do like the intro things for MM and OOT though.

squadala

I don't like you either
Yeah, you know I love ALL Zelda title screens. The fame of the first, the beautiful music in the seconds, and all the awesome 3d titles. Majoras Masks calmness and terror, OoTs dismal feeling, WW beauty, and TPs downright awesome-sauceness. I also really like Pokemon title screens. They've gotten better and better over time.

D33V92

Son of the Patriots
Heavy Rain has a great title screen. Nothing puts you in the mood for a dark thriller better than the music/scene of the heavy rain title screen.

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I love title screens, especially when your seeing them for the first time

Capture4.jpg

I cant really say if thats the title screen for Rayman origins but I thought Id post it anyway cause it should totally be the title screen!
I also really like the Cave Story and Cladun title screens.
there were so many good ones back in the day. its funny to think that the n64 is old enough now that it's retro... so all those n64 and ps1 title screens could be considered classics. SNES had a few like Super Mario World.
I could go on but you get the drift.

Godkarmachine

Angry Megaman Fan
For me the best title screens... would be Megaman 3 on NES, simple display but awesome music
Also Super Castlevania IV on SNES, that game has one of the most awesome soundtracks I've heard
Also Majora's Mask has an awesome intro and the first Megaman X and X8 too

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I always liked Mike Tyson's Punch Out's title screen, when you hit Start and the boxing glove punches through the title.

Xbox/PS2/Gamecube version of Splinter Cell: Double Agent's title screen is cool, showing a montage of different cutscenes.

Castlevania 64 is great as well, especially how the music and image fades from the castle to the kid (Malus) playing the violin.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I like a title screen that shows a bit of what the game´s going to be like without giving it away. I love Wind Waker´s title screen and the music that goes along with it! Hmmm...what else? Spirit Tracks has a nice title screen and so does Animal Crossing. In Animal Crossing it gives you a small peek into what´s going on in your town that I like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom