• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds This Game Isn't Good: Here's Why

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
might i suggest you all stop using insults to prove absolutely nothing but how "mature" you all are (that includes JucieJ). My point is still ALBW's failure to try to be anything more than just a minigame.

If I wished to insult you I'd have called you a doodoohead, not made a helpful suggestion.

You know what would really be impressive? If ALBW was challenging "WITHOUT" Hero Mode. where you actually value heart pieces just playing the normal mode. But theres the difficulty of actually managing through dungeons and finding a compass and map. sure at first those maps and those compass come easy, but once you get to the later dungeons, they get harder.....the dungeosn are not even a breeze...their something even below that.
That's the wrong type of hard. I agree there needs to be some difficulty in the game, unlike Zelda3 that was just too easy. And starting with no map or compass in a dungeon makes little difference, it's not like you need either of them. Maybe for a speed run you do but past that you just clear each room as you come to them and eventually you'll find the boss.

Zelda1 2nd quest is a very good example of a better hard mode.

...Compared to what, may I ask? o_O
Your question is vague.
That's the wrong type of hard. I agree there needs to be some difficulty in the game, unlike Zelda3 that was just too easy. And starting with no map or compass in a dungeon makes little difference, it's not like you need either of them. Maybe for a speed run you do but past that you just clear each room as you come to them and eventually you'll find the boss.

Zelda1 2nd quest is a very good example of a better hard mode.
No, its not about the right type of hard. And i don't believe ALttP was "too" easy.

Like i said, maps and compass really do help to a significant degree. In ALBW its handed to you right when you enter, you don't look for them. When you get that map, you don't dis-value it, you use it the moment you get it. The same with the compass (although not as much as the map). Especially when they highlight the treasures throughout the game. And of course, the big key in order to get to the item.

But even then we had rooms filled with monsters, with moving floors and spikes. But the dungeons were designed to be streamlined. Some dungeons in ALttP didn't have maps at all.

It makes those dungeons all the more dynamic and longer.

Your question is vague.

No, its not about the right type of hard. And i don't believe ALttP was "too" easy.

Like i said, maps and compass really do help to a significant degree. In ALBW its handed to you right when you enter, you don't look for them. When you get that map, you don't dis-value it, you use it the moment you get it. The same with the compass (although not as much as the map). Especially when they highlight the treasures throughout the game. And of course, the big key in order to get to the item.

But even then we had rooms filled with monsters, with moving floors and spikes. But the dungeons were designed to be streamlined. Some dungeons in ALttP didn't have maps at all.

It makes those dungeons all the more dynamic and longer.

We always find the compass or the map the first couple of rooms you walk into anyway, it's not like you search the whole dungeon before finding one of these items. As far a ALttP not having maps not sure what your talking about every dungeon in ALttP has a map

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Just a friendly reminder to play nice and stay on topic. Everyone has a right to their opinion and no one is lesser for disagreeing with yours.

We always find the compass or the map the first couple of rooms you walk into anyway, it's not like you search the whole dungeon before finding one of these items. As far a ALttP not having maps not sure what your talking about every dungeon in ALttP has a map
not every dungeon. and the map and the compass don't come up naturally, you still looking for them. the point is that finding the map and compass is part of the charm of the dungeons. and they do indeed make the dungeons more dynamic and longer. Especially for the top-down perspective Zeldas. the 3D ones, not so much.

Keep in mind, theres still less traps to get you killed, less monsters to worry about and because the dungeons aren't about obtaining those items, you basically have a good idea of whre to go first, rather than trial and error. Still the overworld is easy to traverse....and ALttP once had obstacles you couldn't get passed so easily. part of the charm was gaining the item in the dungeon to help with the overworld.

There's no sense of "earning" anything in this game. you gain them relatively fast. you gain items through rupees, you gain upgrades through maimais, nothing feels like a quest for anything except probably the bee badge.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Alright, I'll make it easy on you...what Nintendo game is easier than Zelda? Even in Kirby I'm more likely to die.

Funny as it is, he's correct. In order to not die in Kirby, you actually have to play it slow like a casual plays Mario. Speaking of which, I'm more likely to die in New Super Mario Bros 2 than I am in any recent Zelda game sans a challenge run.

Alright, I'll make it easy on you...what Nintendo game is easier than Zelda? Even in Kirby I'm more likely to die.
In most marios after super mario 64 were easy. even Mario 3D land was pretty easy for me. And i honestly hardly ever die in Kirby either, but its all about absorbing abilities. Metroid is the only one i consider actually difficult when it comes to bosses. And with Zelda, theres always those few rooms that eat your hearts away by bringing the load of monsters or heavy obstacles. which isn't always about jst surviving one room, having 1-3 hearts at the end of the dungeon will make it seem like you barely survived it all and if you underestimated it you would be dead and go back to the entrance. But even thne you could die from a not-so difficult room just because you barely survived the last.

And thats the problem with ALBW, i didn't overestimated, i underestimated it, expecting that if i had my expectations low, it can surprise me. And it did for the first dungeon involving wall merging, but after that, it settles down quick and as i'm still underestimating it, the surprises is over after that. there weren't moments where i felt engaged by the challenge that ALBW offered because it was barely a challenge. it was only annoying that i had to wait for the stamina gauge or whatever its call to refill. i was much more comfortable looking for bomb and arrows and magic jars.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I still don't see how you die in Zelda after LA. Not only is the combat easy but...

OoT: OP fairies that heal all your hearts. 3 of the bottles are easy to get and fairies are easier to obtain than potions. I never even need them because even when I make the stupidest of errors, the game gives me so many hearts that I'm seldom in any real danger of needing a fairy. But I'm not going to get into any elitist BS. The point still stands that will these easy-to-collect fairies, you're probably going to have between 40 and 60 hearts. How do you die with that?

MM: Even more easy-to-get bottles than OoT. But since you probably have less life, it averages back out at 40-60. How do you lose them all?

tWW: Same situation as OoT, but with OP soup in the mix as well.

TP: The fairies were nerfed and made a little harder to find, but even then, with so many hearts and so little damage, I can't see how you'd run out in the normal game.

SS: Fairies are still like TP and damage is increased, but the AI is easy to figure out and the shield is insanely OP.

But even in games where the enemies take a full heart, consider that you have around 10 hearts and healing items. In games like Mario 64, you have 8 lives and there are plenty of obstacles that take 3 damage and some take more. This almost never happens in Zelda. In SMG, you have 3 lives. And let's not forget all the things that can instantly kill you in Mario. This is very rare in Zelda. Most Zelda games don't even have instant-kill scenarios.

I can see someone creating a decent self challenge in Zelda, but for the normal game, Zelda is just so forgiving since OoT. Mario and Kirby will punish you for death with the smallest of errors while Zelda will allow the greatest of blunders. Again, with items, Link can easily obtain over 40 hearts in a world where enemies seldom do 1 damage.

Basically...imagine SMG where you have 40 lives, enemies still deal 1 damage, falling off the edge does 0-1 damage, there's almost nothing around to one hit kill you. The end result is Mario with Zelda mechanics and it'd be insanely easy.

Last edited:
I still don't see how you die in Zelda after LA. Not only is the combat easy but...

OoT: OP fairies that heal all your hearts. 3 of the bottles are easy to get and fairies are easier to obtain than potions. I never even need them because even when I make the stupidest of errors, the game gives me so many hearts that I'm seldom in any real danger of needing a fairy. But I'm not going to get into any elitist BS. The point still stands that will these easy-to-collect fairies, you're probably going to have between 40 and 60 hearts. How do you die with that?

MM: Even more easy-to-get bottles than OoT. But since you probably have less life, it averages back out at 40-60. How do you lose them all?

tWW: Same situation as OoT, but with OP soup in the mix as well.

TP: The fairies were nerfed and made a little harder to find, but even then, with so many hearts and so little damage, I can't see how you'd run out in the normal game.

SS: Fairies are still like TP and damage is increased, but the AI is easy to figure out and the shield is insanely OP.

But even in games where the enemies take a full heart, consider that you have around 10 hearts and healing items. In games like Mario 64, you have 8 lives and there are plenty of obstacles that take 3 damage and some take more. This almost never happens in Zelda. In SMG, you have 3 lives. And let's not forget all the things that can instantly kill you in Mario. This is very rare in Zelda. Most Zelda games don't even have instant-kill scenarios.

I can see someone creating a decent self challenge in Zelda, but for the normal game, Zelda is just so forgiving since OoT. Mario and Kirby will punish you for death with the smallest of errors while Zelda will allow the greatest of blunders. Again, with items, Link can easily obtain over 40 hearts in a world where enemies seldom do 1 damage.

Basically...imagine SMG where you have 40 lives, enemies still deal 1 damage, falling off the edge does 0-1 damage, there's almost nothing around to one hit kill you. The end result is Mario with Zelda mechanics and it'd be insanely easy.
You're comparing fairies and health to certain areas, not that it was actually difficult. and in OoT and MM you would get fairies only if u know where to look and all the secrets, which happens to any Zelda game. but i'm still talking about an actual difficulty. But i agree that WW and beyond it was significantly easier...but at least the dungeons felt good. Even Four Swords Adventures was a bit more value. Because you an pass a game even without the need of fairies.

Instant kills in Mario are a dime a dozen as lives are actually a dime a dozen. more than what a fairy can do. still...my point stands...ALBW doesn't provide a large ammount of challenge even from prior Zeldas.

Musicfan

the shadow mage
Since this is a thread not based on fact and based on something people don't seem to understand now a days.

I like the renting system no two games play throughs have to be exactly the same.

Difficultly is relative. I find puppet ganon to be one of the hardest bosses in the series. However I have no trouble with any of the bosses in the rest of the series.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
In OoT and MM, there are

1) Respawning fairies in dungeons that aren't hard to find.

2) Fairy fountains. Find one and you're set.

3) The fairies aren't expensive at the store. You can sell a couple of insects and/or fish and you're set.

But I will say ALBW wasn't hard either.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
DarkestLink, I rarely if ever collected fairies even in my non-minimalist playthroughs. Don't you want a challenge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom