• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Thinking in Your Online Handle

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Yeah, I often call myself Athenian or Ath in self-talk. I always remember to put my real name when filling out forms, though.

Then again, that could have something to do with not identifying with my real name, or my physical self. For most people, their online persona is their secondary self, and their physical self is primary.

For me, it's reversed. My physical self just exists as a tool for my online persona, because my online persona is closer to who I really am than the image and role I have to accept in the real world.

I find objective reality confining, stifling, backwards, and unsatisfying.

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
No, I just choose random names that I like, either pertaining to some favorite character from a video game, a book or something else. They have nothing to do with who or what I am. :P

And no, IRL I don't call myself Atsuma, or Atsy, or anything of that sort. I don't even call myself using my real name, there is no need for that.

I don't have this problem because Mandi is my actual name :P But, a few years ago I did go by online aliases and such. I don't believe I ever caught myself referring to myself as one.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Yes, I've done it many times. In "self talk" once when I was playing a game (I forget which one :lol:) I was like "You can do this Koki... you can do this...". Also, when playing a game I was all "You shall die by the hand of Master Kokiri!". Basically, for the most part, I think in my online handle in real life only when playing video games. Not once have I been in public and introduced myself as "Master Kokiri 9" by accident or anything like that. But it would've been funny if I did. :D

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Xinnamin stems from a nickname one of my friends gave me as a joke that never really caught on, and since I was rather against giving myself nicknames for most of my life, I don't believe I've ever referred to myself as anything but my real name, not that I even do that often anyways. I do think I've recently been catching myself referring to myself as Xinn in my head though if that counts.

octorok74

TETTAC
Lately, I have been reacting more and more when people call me Octo. It's just a habit I guess and because there are so many people with the same name as me at my school. Why must there be so many Roberts. Being called Octo actually makes me more alert and makes me want to play some Zelda, which is always good.

Like Xinnamin, my username happens to be a nickname from a friend. "Pocket Asian" was only popular in middle school. Once I got into high school, it never caught on. The name came from the fact that I was short and I'm Asian; Korean if you wanted to know. I got the nickname in 7th grade and it was getting pretty catchy. It started to die in 8th since that friend really wasn't in any of my classes. Its just dead now.

As to if I've ever referred myself with this name, no. I've never actually used this nickname in real life. Some of my friends did call me by this nickname, but that only happened in middle school. However, it does happen to be my usernames for sites, or in the rare occasion of it being taken, I then use "Pocket AZN". Its also used for some of my e-mail accounts.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
I sometimes refer to my self as K4 in real life. I don't know why, but it makes me feel important and cool.

The name K4KING was kinda made up. I made it when I was in High School. My real name is Kenji and I feel special, since I'm the only half-japanese, half-filipino in the entire school. And people can tend to...criticize me. I did not get bothered by their sarcasms of my fatness or my big-problem, but I kept getting irritated that they forget to spell or say my name correctly.

They kept spelling "Cangie", "Canji","Kenjie" and "Cengee". Some even said "Congee". I was mad, and irritated, so I made up the secret name of K4KING. Only my best friend knew the real meaning of K. And some of the people here (Like Atsuma) know what K means. If you guessed Kenji, well your right, but there's a hidden code within it. Figure it out. (Even Atsuma doesn't know what's the hidden code, he just know what K means, which is kinda easy.) :P

Naturally, my other classmates caught to the craze on my nickname and some of them asked me what it means, I just clammed up and went on with life.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
its not crazy. i call myself by my gamer tag like all the time, but not aloud. i use my gamer tag 'MetaPwn' a lot (that and shmoopy) but i even have my own parody series about my crazy adventures....in my head...... but nah thats totally sain to do cause its basically you in a way..... but the name 'MetaPwn' actually derives from two experiances. first i always play as meta knight in SSBB (that and toon link and kirby) and i'm awesome at that game. so right before i pwnd people i would say 'metapwn' and things along the lines of that, eventually in guitar hero i made a band named metapwn so after all that it just stuck and its been the most used of my gamer tags EVAR!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Nope, I never use any of my online names in reality. I never even have called myself this while not being aware. This is just my internet doing and only on some sites. Most people know my real name and call me by it all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom