• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Things That Are on Your Mind

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Someone behind me in line at LAX asked me what my native language is after overhearing me order something. I didn’t realize the Aussie accent is that exotic.
probably is to other countries!! like i watched neighbours and it was whoa!!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Last day of the week and then weekend again. A lot of things to do. First thing to do is to arrange an appointment with the vet for Yuga's yearly shot. Then running some errands and then I'll see. Possibly cross stitching and playing TotK

The Dashing Darknut

DD, the dashing one
I’ve seen a lot of stuff online lately of pretend online experts who act like they know everything about psychology or autism or neurodivergence, and give these fake “tests” to “see if you’re autistic”, and they do stuff like show a picture of an image that is two images at once and they’re like “well if you see the moon in the picture first, you are an empathetic, open minded person” and crap like that. Like those image tests are supposed to be fake and fun tests, they don’t determine your personality, yet people giving these quizzes will make people believe they actually do determine personality

As someone with ADHD, it really just annoys me how these pretend experts use their platform to spread misinformation about what it’s like to have autism or ADHD or be neurodivergent, when they aren’t even neurodivergent or autistic. And of course people believe it, because it’s easy to fall for it, instead of actual professionals or psychologists.

It really drives me up the wall that people lie and act like if you’re even like slightly hyper you have adhd, if you’re slightly abnormal, you have autism. Either that or they treat autism or adhd like it’s a “superpower” or you’re “special”, when people like me who have adhd struggle because of it, we don’t want it, we speak up because we want accommodations that help us, and some autistic people are bullied and face discrimination for being different, when they just want to be treated the same regardless of how their brain works or of their autism. But these “experts” treat like ADHD like it is so cool and quirky. All for some clout. They are really just so obnoxious and feel like a slap in the face to actual professionals and autistic people.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I’ve seen a lot of stuff online lately of pretend online experts who act like they know everything about psychology or autism or neurodivergence, and give these fake “tests” to “see if you’re autistic”, and they do stuff like show a picture of an image that is two images at once and they’re like “well if you see the moon in the picture first, you are an empathetic, open minded person” and crap like that. Like those image tests are supposed to be fake and fun tests, they don’t determine your personality, yet people giving these quizzes will make people believe they actually do determine personality

As someone with ADHD, it really just annoys me how these pretend experts use their platform to spread misinformation about what it’s like to have autism or ADHD or be neurodivergent, when they aren’t even neurodivergent or autistic. And of course people believe it, because it’s easy to fall for it, instead of actual professionals or psychologists.

It really drives me up the wall that people lie and act like if you’re even like slightly hyper you have adhd, if you’re slightly abnormal, you have autism. Either that or they treat autism or adhd like it’s a “superpower” or you’re “special”, when people like me who have adhd struggle because of it, we don’t want it, we speak up because we want accommodations that help us, and some autistic people are bullied and face discrimination for being different, when they just want to be treated the same regardless of how their brain works or of their autism. But these “experts” treat like ADHD like it is so cool and quirky. All for some clout. They are really just so obnoxious and feel like a slap in the face to actual professionals and autistic people.
Wait till you come across those that flatly deny that ADHD is a thing.

The latest ADHD "fad" I've seen is people saying that those with ADHD lack object permanence, showing they never took Psychology 101.

Object permanence isn't impaired in ADHD, which is easily shown that when we lose something (which happens all the time), we go looking for it, showing that definitively object permanence isn't impaired.

It also is quite insulting to suggest you can't do what 2 year olds ND or not can do.

One tried arguing with me about it, and when I showed object permanence isn't impaired, they said, "Well how do you explain me forgetting about things out of my sight?"

I replied, "Simple. According to experts executive functions are what's impaired or delayed in ADHD, and one of them is working memory, which is remembering so as to do."

I also wrote up an entire blog on debunking those who think those who are ADHD are indigo children, but I've been debating on posting it.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
I love that there's a Waffle House Index that the US Government uses to determine the severity of a storm, and the likely scale of assistance required for recovering from a disaster.

The reason being is that Waffle House is known for being open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. In other words, it's always open.

The index has three levels:
  • GREEN: Meaning if during the storm the Waffle House has a full menu, that means it has full power, and has minimal damage, if any from the storm.
  • YELLOW: Meaning if during the storm, the Waffle House has a limited menu, that means it's running on a generator, or food and supplies are running low.
  • RED: Meaning if during the storm the Waffle House is closed, **** has hit the proverbial fan and we're all gonna die.
This was thought up by a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) employee, and is used unofficially by the department to determine the severity of damage during a storm.

Personally, I vote to make this the official damage index, because the day Waffle House closes is the day everyone's getting smoked.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
It's a bit early but I'm debating whether I want to participate in Linktober or regular Inktober this year. I love doing Linkober, especially since I do it with the people here, but I also share my art on social media. I'm not sure if posting nothing but Zelda for a month straight would sit well with the people following me for my anime art. Obvious answer I know is draw what you wanna draw but I'm not really sure yet. Will have to think about it.

Morbid Minish

Spooky Scary Skeleton.
Forum Volunteer
It's a bit early but I'm debating whether I want to participate in Linktober or regular Inktober this year. I love doing Linkober, especially since I do it with the people here, but I also share my art on social media. I'm not sure if posting nothing but Zelda for a month straight would sit well with the people following me for my anime art. Obvious answer I know is draw what you wanna draw but I'm not really sure yet. Will have to think about it.

I'd personally love to see you do Inktober! Your art is sooooo good and I'm a sucker for fall stuff.

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
surpass your limits and do both
or go extra creative and make arts that mix both of the day's themes lol

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
You could just choose whichever theme you like better that day. That might raise the issue of you can't decide tho :shrugs:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
surpass your limits and do both
or go extra creative and make arts that mix both of the day's themes lol

You could just choose whichever theme you like better that day. That might raise the issue of you can't decide tho :shrugs:
That's... actually not a bad idea. Mixing the calendars didn't even occur to me lol, I might go that route.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
A few culture shocks so far of being in the USA:

- Yard Signs. So many people have signs on their lawns of American flags or patriotic slogans which I guess isn’t unexpected but something weird to me is there seem to be so many of them which are celebrating kids graduating school or even moving to the next grade. Calling out your kids name, school and year level in that way seems a little unsafe to me, especially for younger kids.
- Toilets. The water in the toilet bowl is so damn high and public toilets seem to have huge gaps between the door which you can see through which is kinda awkward.
- Food Portions - this one I expected but the portions of food are so huge for the price paid.
- Wait staff - at restaurants the service staff come up to you so many times to check if your meal is still going ok. As someone not used to this it kind of feels annoying or like I’m being rushed but I guess it’s just what’s expected for servers to do here.
- Alcohol - Alcohol is less than half the price I’d expect to pay in Australia even with the exchange rate being considered.
- New York’s Smell - New York City smells really terrible and is very dirty in general. Nearly the whole time I can either smell sewage, garbage, marijuana, or smoke. I don’t think I could live there and deal with that everyday. Over the border in parts of NJ I have been staying in the streets are so clean and well maintained it is like night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom