• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The New Community Music Competition: Week 2

Which entry was the best?

• Raindrop14

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pendio

• theoathtoorder

• skull_k1d

• lazarusryu

• Pl511

• Heroine of Time

• BMBGuitar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Welcome to the New Community Music Competition! In this competition the main idea involves participants signing up and submitting musical works. These works can be done through just about any medium: instruments, computers, even singing. The musical work that you enter must be your own musical work, not the work of somebody else. The spectators for the competitions will have a chance to vote for the music they like the most and the owner will be pronounced winner for that week.

Thank you everyone who participated in week one. Last week our theme was The Legend of Zelda and we had quite turnout, featuring great entries from eight of our members. Thank you everyone who participated. I understand that making music is not an easy task and I congratulate each of you for entering this competition. Now it's your turn ZD. Time for you to decide who's music is the best. The music will be located in the spoiler tags below since the music and entrants take up space. When you have listened to each song please locate the artist in the poll at the top and vote for them. These polls are public so I will know if you've voted for your own work (not that you would; you all are much too nice for that :D). And remember, feedback is encouraged.

Unfortunately I can't post the videos directly in this thread because there are seven videos and I only can include five in a post. Instead, please follow the links.

Raindrop14
Clock Town Day 1

Majora's Mask - Clock Town Day 1 - Ocarina - YouTube

Pendio
Dragon Roost Island

The Wind Waker: Dragon Roost Island - Guitar - YouTube

theoathtoorder
The Song of Healing

The Song of Healing- Fan Cover-Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask - YouTube

skull_k1d
Forest Temple (skull k1d mix) *please note this is a dropbox public link and not a YouTube video. The link will still work.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/18473424/Forest Temple (skull_k1d mix).mp3

Lazarusryu
The Legend of Zelda Theme

Zelda Theme On The Guitar - YouTube

pl511
The Legend of Zelda (OoT,SS) Piano Medley

The Legend of Zelda Piano Medley (OoT, SS) - Wii, N64 - YouTube

Heroine of Time
Ballad of the Goddess

ZD Contest Entry - Ballad of the Goddess on Harp Redone - YouTube

BMBGuitar
Lost Woods (A Link to the Past)

Lost Woods on Guitar - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - YouTube

Now while the first week is wrapped up, the second week is just beginning! This week we are going to narrow things down a bit. This weeks competition should get everyone's blood pumping. This weeks theme is...

BATTLE!​

Make a song that you think is battle worthy. It can be a battle theme from a game of your choice or your very own battle theme based on a game. The choice is yours. The rules are the same.

When you have finished your entry PM it to me. Entries are accepted until 9:00 PM EST on Monday, July 9th.

Once again thanks to everyone who entered Week 1. Good luck Week 2 competitors

Last edited:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
I loved all of these! It was really hard to choose, but I decided I thought pl511's was really beautiful, and I chose thiers. ^^

I'm in for this weeks! Don't know how I'm going to do this but I'll figure it out. :lol:

All of the submissions were great and I certainly wish I exhibited this same level of musical expertise.

Raindrop14

I felt as though your submission was the most mundane but certainly not the worst. You sport some great Ocarina skills; playing the instrument certainly requires quick reflexes. 7/10

Pendio

Without a doubt the greatest Swede on this venerable forum, Pendio brought his full game. He was even decked out in a tie and sunglasses, an awesome complement to the variety of instruments he played throughout. I've always appreciated the Dragon Roost soundtrack but it was never among my favorites, this remix may very well have changed that. 10/10

theoathtoorder

Great Song of Healing remix. According to the comments section, you layered your voice in order to create the choir. This was an excellent idea. Great backdrop as well. 9/5/10

skull_k1d

Interesting Forest temple remix. I liked the original soundtrack as is but this slightly upped the quality. I'm thoroughly impressed. 8/10

Lazarusryu

No offense to you personally, laz, but I felt as though your effort was underwhelming and very grating which irked me. 5/10

pl511

Great idea to combine several Zelda songs. Hearing four classics and three mesh together was a creative idea and it certainly paid off in its execution. 9.5/10

Heroine of Time

Very faithful to the original source matter seeing as how it is played on the harp but nevertheless slightly overwhelming after pl511's piece. 9/10

BMBGuitar

I swear this guy is a professional! Very nice guitar cover for one of A Link to the Past's greatest songs. Your youtube suggests you have quite a following as well. 10/10

The competition certainly was fierce but in my eyes, the clear winner was Pendio. He went above and beyond and his exceptional work deserves to be commended.

Decisions, decisions...

I'll go with theoathtoorder. I'm a sucker for the Song of Healing since it's somewhere in my top 3 of favorite Zelda songs. It was just something so unique from all the other Song of Healing covers I've heard. Excellent job of capturing what the song is about.

An extremely close second was Pendio. I originally had him, but then I changed my mind after listening to the Song of Healing for a second time. I was really impressed with the simultaneous guitar and whistling. Even though it was a very simple beat, I was still impressed when he brought in the drums as well (Trust me, nobody wants to hear me on drums).

I hope to see you all again next week!

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Actually I would rather you take this out. The problem being that I don't know if everyone has the software or gear that is capable of doing this kind of work. Their are also different types of sampling, and most importantly laws that govern it.

If someone samples another persons work without getting it cleared, and decides to upload it to Copyright Cartel Network Youtube, then it can get taken down and the user's account can be suspended

(I'm still viewing the submissions, and choosing my vote ;))

Taken care and thanks for the notification skull :D

Thought I would post some constructive criticisms as well:

Raindrop14 - Great playing on the ocarina (I would never have the patience to learn to play one), but I just felt like it needed more. If you could combine different audio tracks, like with a rhythm ocarina and some harmonies as well, I think you'd be right in the mix.

skull k1d - I enjoyed your remix, but I just thought the mood of the song was changed a little bit too much. I'm a little biased on this one because this is one of my all time favorite Zelda songs, and I just don't like to see this one changed very often. Nonetheless, it's obvious that you're very skilled.

Lazarusryu - Try to find a better way to record yourself if possible so there's a clearer sound. A metronome would help out as well. When you practice, always use a metronome (just search for one on google) to work on your timing. Regardless, I'm glad you entered and would love to see you keep working on it and improving.

pl511 - I believe I remember seeing this on the front page of ZD a while back. Everything was very well played, and you did an excellent job combining the three songs. I do think it would be great to see a video of you playing though if possible.

Heroine of Time - I don't have much criticism for this one. I can't even imagine how difficult it would be to learn how to play the harp well like that. Great job, and I hope you enter in the following weeks!

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
It was hard for me to choose because the harp is so beautiful Heroine of Time. I had to listen to Pl511 and BMBGuitar twice and decided to vote for BMBGuitar. Such flawless guitar playing and your drum programming is so clear, it sounds like a live band. Pl511, I ended up listening to all your medleys on youtube- wow- they are great!

This was fun!

Thanks, guys! :D I'll be working on an actual new entry for this week. Thinking possibly about something from World Ends With You...

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
All the entries are fantastic! I can't decide. It's between Pendido, BMBGuitar, and Pl511, although the others are great (I love the ocarina!).

...I'm not going to vote yet, I guess, haha. I haven't heard Skull K1d's entry yet, anyway, because I don't think it works on my iPad. ^^

Question about this week: it can be another cover, right? As long as it's battle related, can it still be a video game song? Or not?

I might end up sitting this one out if that's the case. Harp isn't exactly a battle instrument, anyway... :P

EDIT: You know what's funny? My video is unlisted – meaning that only people who've viewed this thread could see it – and someone's disliked my video. What does that mean? XD

Last edited:

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
I watched all of these--there were no real bad entries, some better than others, but all were good at the least. I placed my vote on skull_k1d's entry, mostly because I've always loved the forest Temple theme, and your cover of it was very refreshing, and very, very well done.

I've finally decided on what I'm doing for my entry. :) I'm (attempting) to make a Pokémon battle theme medley. So far I've got a bit of the Gold/Silver/Crystal Champion Theme and also the Emerald Frontier Brain Battle Theme. I'll try and make this as nostalgic/epic as I possibly can. :D Any suggestions for songs to include?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom