• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Most Disappointing Game You've Ever Played

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
That's what tends to happen when a company gives you a golden dish many years ago then treats you to a bronze one in the present. Where's the gold, huh? All that was gold regarding Skyward Sword was that nifty Wiimote - that not too many of us actually got! Yeah, it's spoiling...but said spoiling is the company's fault! They're the ones who make such badawesome games, huh?

Put simply, you don't give consumers greatness then give them goodness later on. That shows you're running out of ideas (which Nintendo definitely is) and that you're just doing whatever to stay afloat.

Um... you're understating both the classic games and Skyward Sword. ALttP, OoT, and MM were platinum dishes and SS was golden.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Um... you're understating both the classic games and Skyward Sword. ALttP, OoT, and MM were platinum dishes and SS was golden.

Does it make a difference? The idea behind being DISAPPOINTED by later games in a series is that the company obviously put their heart and soul into whatever ones you liked and a) did not care about future releases, b) ran out of ideas, c) simply tried something new. This isn't just the case with Zelda, it's the case with gaming as a whole. When you come to expect certain things - and expectations are natural when you find something you like -then you're treated with the opposite or something CLOSE TO the opposite of your expectations, disappointed must follow. If it doesn't, you must be an incredibly tolerant person and I commend you for that (not you, JJ, but the "abstract" or whatever 'you') ;)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I think you're missing the point. This thread is about THE MOST disappointing game, and BlueLake pointed that out. A truly disappointing game is one that looked awesome and wound up not being so, whether that be because it was mediocre (again, The Old Republic) or downright bad (Aliens: Colonial Marines). Saying a great game like Skyward Sword is the most disappointing game ever showcases a ridiculously spoiled attitude towards the series by expecting way too much from it and being way too nostalgically attached to older games, and it honestly makes me embarrassed to be a part of the Zelda fanbase.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A truly disappointing game is one that looked awesome and wound up not being so

Not at all true for me (except in the case of Battlefield 3). What's disappointing to you may not be disappointing for me; again we all have our likes and dislikes and like I was meaning to say in my last post, we have our own levels of tolerance. Because of that, some of us take "awesome looking" titles with a grain of salt and wind up not being disappointed. But wait - what about those gals in the corner who were disappointed by those same awesome looking titles? Are they spoiled kids? Heck no, they just have certain expectations. They aren't looking for the world in a game (at least, I'm not) - they're just looking to get the same kind of meal that they got from XYZ time ago. Again, you don't serve a bronze plate after serving a gold plate!

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I don't think the community being spolit has anything to do with the disappointment surrounding Skyward Sword. Talk to people who disliked the game and you get explanations ranging from not liking the Wiimote to having trouble with the controls to the way enemies were designed to the way the overworld was broken up and a whole host of other reasons. I'm yet to see someone say they were disappointed purely because earlier games were better. Everyone I've personally seen say they were disappointed or disliked the game can tell you exactly why and it's all for pretty understandable reasons, even if you yourself don't share those reasons.

Take me for example. Skyward Sword disappointed me and yet I still do thoroughly enjoy it. There are lots of things in it that I would change but I still enjoyed my time playing the game. My personal disappointment stems from a lack of creativity or originality. The game relies very heavily on repetition. You are sent to the same, small areas multiple times, the story has you go around doing the same thing three times (only the Hero can find the tablets, only the Hero can claim the Goddess Flames, only the Hero can learn the Song of- Ok, I get it! Prove myself. You only need to tell me once) and the enemy design revolves around two ideas that are childishly simplistic, one of which was unfortunately applied to half of the bosses (three of which also get repeated). There was next to no explorative element and puzzle-solving was at an all time low for a 3D Zelda, which made it difficult for me to see it as a Zelda game at times. Each one of my criticisms about the game share the same root; lack of creativity. When I played the game I was noticing things about the design and structure and it felt clear to me that the Wiimote had been too big of a focus during development. Not the motion control, the Wiimote as a physical object. There is only so much you can physically do with a short stick and my experience with Skyward Sword is that those physical limitations on the Wiimote itself led to a stunted gam design and creative dead-ends. What's in the game is good (for the most part. All games have their faults) but there's just so little actually in there to start with that i couldn't help but be disappointed with the end product.

So Skyward Sword wasn't disappointing to me because I liked Majora's Mask better or anything as superficial as that. It disappointed me because it wasn't all it could have been and it didn't move the franchise forward in any way because it tied itself completely to a piece of hardware that has too many limitations. I'm willing to bet anyone else who was disappointed in the game could explain to you exactly why as well, and I would wager it has more to do with Skyward Sword itself than it does with simply preferring older games.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
If you're still not going to get the point, then I don't see any further reason to continue.

I don't think the community being spolit has anything to do with the disappointment surrounding Skyward Sword. Talk to people who disliked the game and you get explanations ranging from not liking the Wiimote to having trouble with the controls to the way enemies were designed to the way the overworld was broken up and a whole host of other reasons. I'm yet to see someone say they were disappointed purely because earlier games were better. Everyone I've personally seen say they were disappointed or disliked the game can tell you exactly why and it's all for pretty understandable reasons, even if you yourself don't share those reasons.

Take me for example. Skyward Sword disappointed me and yet I still do thoroughly enjoy it. There are lots of things in it that I would change but I still enjoyed my time playing the game. My personal disappointment stems from a lack of creativity or originality. The game relies very heavily on repetition. You are sent to the same, small areas multiple times, the story has you go around doing the same thing three times (only the Hero can find the tablets, only the Hero can claim the Goddess Flames, only the Hero can learn the Song of- Ok, I get it! Prove myself. You only need to tell me once) and the enemy design revolves around two ideas that are childishly simplistic, one of which was unfortunately applied to half of the bosses (three of which also get repeated). There was next to no explorative element and puzzle-solving was at an all time low for a 3D Zelda, which made it difficult for me to see it as a Zelda game at times. Each one of my criticisms about the game share the same root; lack of creativity. When I played the game I was noticing things about the design and structure and it felt clear to me that the Wiimote had been too big of a focus during development. Not the motion control, the Wiimote as a physical object. There is only so much you can physically do with a short stick and my experience with Skyward Sword is that those physical limitations on the Wiimote itself led to a stunted gam design and creative dead-ends. What's in the game is good (for the most part. All games have their faults) but there's just so little actually in there to start with that i couldn't help but be disappointed with the end product.

So Skyward Sword wasn't disappointing to me because I liked Majora's Mask better or anything as superficial as that. It disappointed me because it wasn't all it could have been and it didn't move the franchise forward in any way because it tied itself completely to a piece of hardware that has too many limitations. I'm willing to bet anyone else who was disappointed in the game could explain to you exactly why as well, and I would wager it has more to do with Skyward Sword itself than it does with simply preferring older games.

All that's understandable, but it's not what I'm talking about. This is a thread about THE MOST disappointing game, not a game that DISAPPOINTED YOU. If a game as good as Skyward Sword is what you call the most disappointing game ever, that's ridiculous.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Most disappointing game ever? Must be PotC 3 for the DS. That game was so stupid it wasn't even fun anymore

Another game was ST. I have only played it once and I wanted to replay it but I quit after 1 minute of playing. I just couldn't get myself to continue

Cfrock

Keep it strong
All that's understandable, but it's not what I'm talking about. This is a thread about THE MOST disappointing game, not a game that DISAPPOINTED YOU. If a game as good as Skyward Sword is what you call the most disappointing game ever, that's ridiculous.

Ventus was pretty clear in explaining that everyone has different opinions about things. If he says Skyward Sword was the most disappointing game he ever played then there's absolutely no way to tell him he's mistaken about that. It's his opinion. The thread is about the most disappointing game you've ever played. For him it was Skyward Sword. So he has addressed the thread topic.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

Again, you cannot say that "THE MOST" disappointing game is the same for you as it is for me. We all have our own dislikes and likes. It's like opinions: we all can tolerate our own range of opinions, but not necessarily others' ranges. I perfectly understand if Sonic 2006 disappointed you (it sure as hell did me)...but that doesn't mean that because you were disappointed in it by a factor of 50 that I will share that same factor. Mine might be 52, 41, 1.453, etc. ;)

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
This topic is about the most disappointing game you've ever played and if someone thinks SS is the most disappointing then he or she has the right to say so. If this wasn't the case then the title should be: The most disappoiting game in number and rates worldwide you've ever played. So please STOP ARGUING WITH EACH OTHER ABOUT PERSONAL OPINIONS. Thanks

They we're bad games,but Metroid Other M and Sonic and The Black Knight disappointed me,Other M had so much potentiel with this awesome gameplay and I was expecting a lot more from a crossover between Sonic the hedgehog and the King Arthur's stories.

While I enjoyed the game, Mirror's Edge was a huge letdown.

The game is essentially divided into three sections: A tutorial, extensive platforming, and an introduction to combat with some gun mechanics. Learning the controls and accustoming yourself to the game's physics doesn't take too long and hurdling over large distances is exhilarating but the experience starts to fall apart when armed enemies are introduced. While the adrenaline rush is thrilling, shooter mechanics in this platformer feel very tacky. It's a shame too because Mirror's Edge was a solid attempt at meshing platforming with adventure. The game's short length and almost nonexistent replay value don't help either.

Mido

Version 1
I wish I never had to say this, but Gears of War: Judgment takes the cake for me. The story was....different, but definitely plausible. The Aftermath part of the story was easily the best part of the game, as it felt just like a classic Gears escapade. Everything else was a huge letdown. The multiplayer, just as all shooters are beginning to do it seems, was basically trying to become Call of Duty, with game types like Team Deathmatch and Domination. The "Down, but not out" mechanic was removed from multiplayer, but was reinstated through DLC packs that brought back some classic modes. I felt like the whole Locust/COG versus mode was a slap to the face when it became Red vs. Blue COG. Horde mode was hacked up as well.

The only plausible things about this game for me were the campaign(s), as I mentioned, the new "Overrun mode", the weapon innovation, and the maps. Now the game isn't terrible, but it by no means lives up to its predecessors in any way. Otherwise, the game let me down. Big time. :(

ILU

i luv u
Resident Evil 6. I am an avid Resident Evil fan. Or worshipper, you could say. I follow the storyline like I follow Zelda's timeline. I could probably recite all the info on the RE Wiki from memory. RE6 was just god-awful for me, though. After playing RE5, yes, I was LE DISAPPOINT! But, at least it had co-op, which made up for pretty much everything, even the whole boulder-punching ridiculousness. I eagerly awaited Resident Evil 6. They were going to go back to horror and include all the characters and blah blah blah.

But then the game came out, and it was extraordinarily linear. It may as well have been on rails for the majority of the game. All my hopes and dreams were crushed. It tried to be an action movie... an action movie directed by a child. There was crash after explosion after crash. You survive like 10 crashes and explosions. You survive MULTIPLE helicopter/plane crashes. At one point you're in a bus with NO SEATBELTS, the driver almost goes off a cliff, and as the bus is hanging there like HOLYCRAPOMGWE'REGONNADIE, a freaking semi comes careening down the road and smashes the bus off the cliff. AND WE'RE ALL OKAAAAAY! :D :D :D This stuff happens throughout the entirety of the game, and it was embarassing.

I had to force myself to complete this game. I thought Operation Raccoon City was bad...gndkfg not even close compared to this. And then I tried out Mercenaries and hated it. Tuuuurrrriibl mapz. Going back to RE5. Definitely the most disappointing game I ever played. Probably one of the most disappointing moments of my life.

And I thought Metroid: Other M was bad... jeezus, this game.... my heart will never mend itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom