• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Most Disappointing Game You've Ever Played

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I'm sure you've all had that time where you get a game that looks awesome, and then you play it... and it sucks. What was it and why was it disappointing?

I know that it's happened to me. With Sonic and the Secret Rings. That game was flat out awful, not kidding. First of all, the game developers might've thought the comic style of cutscenes was interesting, but it just made the game look like it was lazily done. The levels were either boring or too ridiculously hard thanks to the messed up controls. Yeah, in order to run, you needed to tilt sideways Wii remote forward. To jump you needed to lift it up quickly.

Oh yeah, and the theme song was pretty uninteresting, too.

This is definitely my most disappointing game, too. I was excited to get a Wii back in 2007, and this was the first game I got for it. I played this game, found the controls to be extremely sloppy and unresponsive at times, and then didn't play any more Wii games because this particular game gave me really bad first impressions. I know most Wii games aren't like that now, but at first, I hated the Wii because of this game.

Moral of this story is: Don't judge a book by its cover.
Or in this case, don't judge a system by a crappy game

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Diablo 3...

I was heart broken, and in denial for weeks...
Oh trust me, we've all been there. Seriously, years after years of waiting and we get that. Yo Blizzard my nigge, we was looking for a sequel to Diablo II, not a different game with familiar names! C'mon homeslice!

onebizarrekai

gay energy
Why do so many people say the most disappointing game they've played is Skyward Sword? You must be spoiled on good games. I have a lot of sucky games…

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
I'd have to say Shadow the Hedgehog was pretty disappointing. After seeing those impressive cgi graphics in the intro, I was stoked to get in and play it. Then the disappointment kicked in. The graphics were a joke, even by Gamecube standards. The voice acting was cheesy. The gameplay was positively ATROCIOUS! Normally I would say Sonic '06 was the worst Sonic game ever, but at least you can get used to the bad controls. With Shadow the Hergehorrg, there is NO GETTING USED TO IT!!!!!

:kirby:

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
My choice would be Skyward Sword however instead of giving a lecture on my gripes with the game I'll focus on essentially were my disappoint came from. I think I've posted about this before but I'll try to focus on the disappointment aspects.

I have been aware of the Zelda series for many years as my friend was a huge Zelda fan and even though I did used to play the likes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask as a young kid I never truly appreciated the games until I owned them. Phantom Hourglass was the first true Zelda game I owned however it wasn't until Twilight Princess when I became a huge fan, I highly regard this game as one of the greatest of all time, and it ranks No. 2 on my list. However there wasn't much to build on from TP, I waited and I waited for another console relief as I was reluctant to play the older Zelda titles. The wait however became too much and I sold my Wii as well as my love for the franchise.

It was only until I saw that small piece of concept art that Zelda once again sparked my interest and the E3 trailer, even though I was initially disappointed I gradually warmed to the game. It was still a long wait even from then however the rumors here and there and the snippets of information really added to the hype and my expectations, it was as if Nintendo were saying all the right things. I even rebought the Nintendo Wii, a console which I had little interest in playing again as well as a lot of older titles. So fast forward relates and I ordered the special edition as well as the walkthrough. So basically I spent around £180 just to build up anticipation as well as the initial price of the special edition, all for one game which I was expecting to match Twilight Princess .

However the game was never going to reach my expectations, even though it had some familiar concepts to TP I was I the frame of mind that it would build on what made TP great, however SS was a unique title in its own right, it wasn't the advancement I was hoping for, just another sidetrack that Nintendo have taken in a series with very little progression between 16 games. In a way it was a lot of my own fault but the game did build the game up to be more than it was in my opinion, hinting at true continuity, however there were truly little explanations as a prequel should initially give and what was explained was done incredibly briefly. I was previously looking forward to a truly immersive combat and control based experience however I feel the game became to much of a familiar action. The game repeatedly threw numerous rounds of the same/variation of enemy and combat became somewhat of a chore. The games dungeons were largely lackluster apart from one, they all looked pretty but lacked content and a large enough experience. However my main gripe was the lack of exploration that I thought the Sky would provide, it would seem we would be getting a Sky world basis that similar to the Great Sea in TWW however content was sparse and incredibly limited. Exploration on the land was too compact and there were not true connections between provinces, the game was very much level like.

They were just some of my gripes with what I initially thought the game would excel in however the game just simply didn't deliver to me. From a completely non bias perspective this game is not A bad game in fact it's very much a good game, I would go as far as saying it's a great game, maybe not from a Zelda standpoint though. My playthrough was largely enjoyable to an extent due to the fact I was convincing myself that all my expectations were evident however I replay games such as MM, OoT and TP and I can't help but think with actually how disappointing this game was as we're my expectations. Maybe if I didn't build myself up or played it a few years after release my viewpoint may be different but now it's pretty much a sour one, left with what could have been, I would like to think Zelda Wii U would possibly meet my previous expectations that I had for Skyward Sword .

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Why do so many people say the most disappointing game they've played is Skyward Sword? You must be spoiled on good games. I have a lot of sucky games…

Because they didn't hype themselves up for the sucky games like they did with Skyward Sword.

Hyped fans: OMG! Higher damage, that means the game's gonna be harder!!!! =D

Unhyped fans: ...Higher damage...great, it looks like Nintendo needed to implement fake difficult to make up for the extremely easy AI.

The unhyped fans were less disappointed as a whole when the game came out whether they liked it or not.

onebizarrekai

gay energy
I still haven't really changed my opinion. Skyward Sword wasn't THAT bad. It's just not as good as you expected it to be. Since it's a Zelda game, you expected very highly of it, and it wasn't as great as you thought it would be, so everybody calls it flat out bad.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I still haven't really changed my opinion. Skyward Sword wasn't THAT bad. It's just not as good as you expected it to be. Since it's a Zelda game, you expected very highly of it, and it wasn't as great as you thought it would be, so everybody calls it flat out bad.

Story of modern Zelda's life. I swear, the Zelda community is so spoiled. <.<

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

That's what tends to happen when a company gives you a golden dish many years ago then treats you to a bronze one in the present. Where's the gold, huh? All that was gold regarding Skyward Sword was that nifty Wiimote - that not too many of us actually got! Yeah, it's spoiling...but said spoiling is the company's fault! They're the ones who make such badawesome games, huh?

Put simply, you don't give consumers greatness then give them goodness later on. That shows you're running out of ideas (which Nintendo definitely is) and that you're just doing whatever to stay afloat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom