• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler The Levels of Divinity

In another thread there was some discussion about the 'Goddess' and whether or not she actually was a 'god'. I made a wall of text response that kind of leaked beyond the confines of the thread's purpose, so I've decided to make it a new thread.

I literally just finished SS yesterday and as I understand it, despite the wanton use of the words 'gods' and 'goddesses', it's actually a tier based system of divinity. It reminds me faintly of Lovecraft's ordering of the Gods, but to those unfamiliar with his works, it also rings familiarly of existing religions as well (to use christianity as an example, the levels between God, Arch Angels, Angels, Cherubs, Saints, and humans).

I'll try and describe the hierarchy of divinity in the Zelda games as I understand it below. Mostly this is just vapid fan-theory, so take it all with a falling moon sized grain of salt.

(Spoiler alert: major dorkage conjecture follows):

The "Old Gods"
Din, Farore and Nayru
Created life, the world, its laws, the Triforce; and then left the world.
|
|
The 'Lesser' Gods
Hylia, Demise^
Gods of duality, light and dark, presumably created by the Old Gods. Light is seemingly purposed for the guidance and protection of life (and by extension the Triforce which seems to have been a tenuous gift of the Old Gods to mortals), and Dark is (traditionally in religions) meant to 'stir the pot' or keep creation moving and refreshing.
|
The 'Lesser Lesser' Gods
Ocean King, Ballum, Malladus (maybe), The Giants, and presumably others that I'm blanking on.
Mighty entities presumably created by the Old Gods, but not quite as powerful as the 'Lesser Gods'.
|
|
|
The 'Spirits'
Eldin, Lanayru, Faron, Ordin (though his status is debatable), Levias (can't remember how to spell his name), Wind Fish****
Powerful guardians of the provinces, presumably created by the Old Gods. They have been given specific tasks by both the Old Gods (in banishing the dark interlopers to the twilight realm), and the 'Lesser Gods' (being trusted with parts of the hero's song). Eldin, Lanayru, and Faron first appear as Dragons in living flesh, but eventually become spirits of light (perhaps their bodies die, or they relinquish some of their power to both the 'Lesser Spirits' and to enact some form of change in a race? *****)
|
|
|
The 'Lesser Spirits'
The Great Deku Tree, Valoo, Lord Jabu Jabu (I guess?), and others I can picture but can't remember the names of.
Guardians of races, or at least their patron deities. They are born and die within the world like mortals, but with far longer life spans. Sometimes tasked with protecting very special items.
|
|
|
The Fairy Queen and The Great Fairies******
I don't remember if they have names.
Magical creatures that are the lords of Fairies. I presume they're immortal, and were created by the Old Gods. They can bestow magical gifts.
|
|
|
Sages*******
Zelda, Saria, Impa, etc.
Mortals with some form of divinity in their blood line. They have some limited magical abilities, which when working in tandem with other sages is greatly multiplied, though limited in scope***.
|
|
|
Normal mortals

*I believe that a mortal in possession of the full Triforce fits into this list between "The Old Gods" and the 'Lesser Gods' in terms of power or capabilities.

^ Maybe the Goddess of Time should be included here; but despite her being mentioned frequently in this forum, I can't remember if she's an actual confirmed character within the lore.

**I believe that a mortal in possession of part of the Triforce fits into this list between the 'Lesser Gods' and the 'Lesser Lesser Gods' in terms of power or capabilities.

***I believe the combined powers of the sages as being slightly less than those with part of the Triforce (though limited in scope), as collectively they're able to seal Ganon with the Triforce of Power in the Sacred Realm (with some help).

****The Wind Fish is an awkward character to place. I sort of think that he's Levias (or whatever that giant whale creature was called in SS), but have little to base that on other than their remarkably similar appearance. Additionally, the capacity to suck Link's dream into his own dream seems like some relatively potent mojo, which is why I've placed him so high on this list.

*****I have absolutely nothing concrete to base this on, though it makes some sense in my head that the evolution of some species within the land works less like Darwinian evolution and more-so at the prodding of some semi divine force. For example, I presume the Kiwkiwis (or however it's spelt) become Kokiri (who always struck me as being a little plant-like with their greenish skin), and the Jellyfish people in SS (another brain fart on their names) become the Zora. Indeed, the blue dragon in SS (I want to say Faron) had a face that looked extremely 'zora-ish' to me, and I wonder if in the change from 'living dragon' to 'light spirit', she had some part in their emergence as the humanoid race we know.

In a related aspect, I kind of think the main Kiwkiwi (the big one with the familiar 'stache') could feasibly become the Great Deku Tree, perhaps by either turning into a tree himself or merging with the giant tree in SS (in both cases with some divine prodding like that I've theorized about with the Zora).

Again, this is one giant flimsy theory that just doesn't feel utterly absurd in my head.

******I include the Fairy Queen here though I confess some uncertainty over where to place her. I presume she's just a little higher than the Great Fairies, but ultimately in the same group.

******I include Zelda without the Triforce of wisdom in this group. Also, in my head I do not treat her powers as a sage and wielder of the Triforce of wisdom as 'stackable' powers, meaning that I regard them differently and don't combine the two to make her more 'powerful' than the other two Triforce wielders.

It's not entirely logical, but that's how I view the levels of divinity in the Zelda games. Feel free to rip it apart or have it tattooed on your back. It's all ambient thought in the end.

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
I get it, but I believe there is another tier at the top. The three goddesses should no go under the old gods, instead they should go under The goddesses, because I believe there were infact gods who created the goddesses, and with it handed the Triforce the gods made to the goddesses to do whatever with it they please. They then decided to create the world. I think it is somewhat a fact that the goddesses didn't make the triforce and the gods of ALttP did.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well thought out, but you can't class Demise as a God, as no God can wield the triforce, and that was what Demise was going to do.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I get it, but I believe there is another tier at the top. The three goddesses should no go under the old gods, instead they should go under The goddesses, because I believe there were infact gods who created the goddesses, and with it handed the Triforce the gods made to the goddesses to do whatever with it they please. They then decided to create the world. I think it is somewhat a fact that the goddesses didn't make the triforce and the gods of ALttP did.

The "old gods" are the golden goddesses. That's what they were referred to as in Skyward Sword.

Well thought out, but you can't class Demise as a God, as no God can wield the triforce, and that was what Demise was going to do.

Oh, wow, I didn't think of that. I personally wouldn't classify him as one, but I felt no need to say that. I didn't think about that part, though. Nice catch.

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
The "old gods" are the golden goddesses. That's what they were referred to as in Skyward sword.
I wasn't talking about the naming. I'm not sure if it was proven by SS that the triforce was made by Nayru, Din, and Farore. Was it? If not, we have to go by ALttP and say that the gods are different from the goddesses and the gods created the triforce, while the goddesses left it on earth.

You're right, but I thought about it for a bit and decided to put him there anyway for several reasons:

1) He never actually got his hands on the Triforce, so he can't yet be discounted from godhood, as he didn't have the opportunity to disprove that status by 'not being able to wield it'.

2)We know that he was seeking the Triforce; but we don't know precisely what it was he intended to do with it. Perhaps he just wanted it in his possession so that no-other could wield it and challenge him, or maybe he had some way of devouring its power?

3)The Goddess was essentially only able to stalemate or stall him, and as far as I know, she has hitherto been the most powerful divine creature we've encountered in the lore, save the Old Gods themselves. If he's not a god, he's certainly been eating his Wheaties. That said, it just makes sense to me that the two characters would be essentially duality gods. Light and dark. Good and evil. Sky and earth.

I did also ponder a possible work-around for Demise and the no-gods Triforce clause, in that he might have been a mortal at some point that briefly gained access to the Triforce. He then wished himself a god (naughty boy), and hijinks ensued. However, while I can't say that didn't happen, utter fabrication doesn't make for the best basis of theory.

To KingJason

There can be little doubt that someone else but the Golden Goddesses were behidn the creation of the Triforce. Firstly, the SNES manual of AlttP shows that the old gods are in fact Din, Nayru and Farore. Moreover, the Triforce is what is left of their powers according to the legend told in OoT.

/Blue Window

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
To KingJason

There can be little doubt that someone else but the Golden Goddesses were behidn the creation of the Triforce. Firstly, the SNES manual of AlttP shows that the old gods are in fact Din, Nayru and Farore. Moreover, the Triforce is what is left of their powers according to the legend told in OoT.

/Blue Window

I would like to see the manual showing the goddesses as the gods.

To -KingJason

I was a bit stressed: The SNES AlttP manual only shows three gods who look very feminine. By performing simple deduction one can, moreover, find that these "gods" must be Dun, Nayru and Farore (for the world could not have been created twice). Nevertheless, the canonicity of this manual is questioned these days, but since OoT is so clear on the matter, there is no reason to doubt. (Even though the Triforce is more of something accidentally left behidn then created on purpose)

The three great goddesses, their labors completed, departed for the heavens. And golden sacred triangles remained at the point where the goddesses left the world. Since then, the sacred triangles have become the basis of our world's providence. And, the resting place of the triangles has become the Sacred Realm. Thou must never allow the desert man in black armor to lay his hands on the sacred Triforce...

/Blue Window

Fig

The Altruist
In another thread there was some discussion about the 'Goddess' and whether or not she actually was a 'god'. I made a wall of text response that kind of leaked beyond the confines of the thread's purpose, so I've decided to make it a new thread.

I literally just finished SS yesterday and as I understand it, despite the wanton use of the words 'gods' and 'goddesses', it's actually a tier based system of divinity. It reminds me faintly of Lovecraft's ordering of the Gods, but to those unfamiliar with his works, it also rings familiarly of existing religions as well (to use christianity as an example, the levels between God, Arch Angels, Angels, Cherubs, Saints, and humans).

I'll try and describe the hierarchy of divinity in the Zelda games as I understand it below. Mostly this is just vapid fan-theory, so take it all with a falling moon sized grain of salt.

(Spoiler alert: major dorkage conjecture follows):

The "Old Gods"
Din, Farore and Nayru
Created life, the world, its laws, the Triforce; and then left the world.
|
|
The 'Lesser' Gods
Hylia, Demise^
Gods of duality, light and dark, presumably created by the Old Gods. Light is seemingly purposed for the guidance and protection of life (and by extension the Triforce which seems to have been a tenuous gift of the Old Gods to mortals), and Dark is (traditionally in religions) meant to 'stir the pot' or keep creation moving and refreshing.
|
The 'Lesser Lesser' Gods
Ocean King, Ballum, Malladus (maybe), The Giants, and presumably others that I'm blanking on.
Mighty entities presumably created by the Old Gods, but not quite as powerful as the 'Lesser Gods'.
|
|
|
The 'Spirits'
Eldin, Lanayru, Faron, Ordin (though his status is debatable), Levias (can't remember how to spell his name), Wind Fish****
Powerful guardians of the provinces, presumably created by the Old Gods. They have been given specific tasks by both the Old Gods (in banishing the dark interlopers to the twilight realm), and the 'Lesser Gods' (being trusted with parts of the hero's song). Eldin, Lanayru, and Faron first appear as Dragons in living flesh, but eventually become spirits of light (perhaps their bodies die, or they relinquish some of their power to both the 'Lesser Spirits' and to enact some form of change in a race? *****)
|
|
|
The 'Lesser Spirits'
The Great Deku Tree, Valoo, Lord Jabu Jabu (I guess?), and others I can picture but can't remember the names of.
Guardians of races, or at least their patron deities. They are born and die within the world like mortals, but with far longer life spans. Sometimes tasked with protecting very special items.
|
|
|
The Fairy Queen and The Great Fairies******
I don't remember if they have names.
Magical creatures that are the lords of Fairies. I presume they're immortal, and were created by the Old Gods. They can bestow magical gifts.
|
|
|
Sages*******
Zelda, Saria, Impa, etc.
Mortals with some form of divinity in their blood line. They have some limited magical abilities, which when working in tandem with other sages is greatly multiplied, though limited in scope***.
|
|
|
Normal mortals

*I believe that a mortal in possession of the full Triforce fits into this list between "The Old Gods" and the 'Lesser Gods' in terms of power or capabilities.

^ Maybe the Goddess of Time should be included here; but despite her being mentioned frequently in this forum, I can't remember if she's an actual confirmed character within the lore.

**I believe that a mortal in possession of part of the Triforce fits into this list between the 'Lesser Gods' and the 'Lesser Lesser Gods' in terms of power or capabilities.

***I believe the combined powers of the sages as being slightly less than those with part of the Triforce (though limited in scope), as collectively they're able to seal Ganon with the Triforce of Power in the Sacred Realm (with some help).

****The Wind Fish is an awkward character to place. I sort of think that he's Levias (or whatever that giant whale creature was called in SS), but have little to base that on other than their remarkably similar appearance. Additionally, the capacity to suck Link's dream into his own dream seems like some relatively potent mojo, which is why I've placed him so high on this list.

*****I have absolutely nothing concrete to base this on, though it makes some sense in my head that the evolution of some species within the land works less like Darwinian evolution and more-so at the prodding of some semi divine force. For example, I presume the Kiwkiwis (or however it's spelt) become Kokiri (who always struck me as being a little plant-like with their greenish skin), and the Jellyfish people in SS (another brain fart on their names) become the Zora. Indeed, the blue dragon in SS (I want to say Faron) had a face that looked extremely 'zora-ish' to me, and I wonder if in the change from 'living dragon' to 'light spirit', she had some part in their emergence as the humanoid race we know.

In a related aspect, I kind of think the main Kiwkiwi (the big one with the familiar 'stache') could feasibly become the Great Deku Tree, perhaps by either turning into a tree himself or merging with the giant tree in SS (in both cases with some divine prodding like that I've theorized about with the Zora).

Again, this is one giant flimsy theory that just doesn't feel utterly absurd in my head.

******I include the Fairy Queen here though I confess some uncertainty over where to place her. I presume she's just a little higher than the Great Fairies, but ultimately in the same group.

******I include Zelda without the Triforce of wisdom in this group. Also, in my head I do not treat her powers as a sage and wielder of the Triforce of wisdom as 'stackable' powers, meaning that I regard them differently and don't combine the two to make her more 'powerful' than the other two Triforce wielders.

It's not entirely logical, but that's how I view the levels of divinity in the Zelda games. Feel free to rip it apart or have it tattooed on your back. It's all ambient thought in the end.

So by what you said, you are assuming that Link is between The Old Gods and The Lesser Gods. Awesome:)

So by what you said, you are assuming that Link is between The Old Gods and The Lesser Gods. Awesome:)

Well, yes and no. The Triforce grants wishes of those that wield it, and (as I understand it) the scope of those wishes can be whatever it is in the power of the Old Gods to do. That's an effing lot of potential; but in a way it's not that the 'wielder' has that power, so much as it is that they have access to that power through the Triforce, and even then I think they still have to be in contact with it in some way.

It may seem like a minor distinction; but it's an integral one. For example, at the end of SS Link has the Triforce and wishes for the end of Demise. One effortless squish later, and Demise has met his... well, you know. However, a little later in the past (I've always wanted to say something temporal like that), Link still technically has the Triforce (according to the inventory screen); but he's no longer touching it. Suddenly Girahim and Demise require a more difficult smack-down (in comparison to giant temple squishing).

That's how I see it at least. I probably should have been more specific before.

Great Theory, but I think the Great Deku Tree, Jabu-Jabu and Valoo schould be above the light spirits. Think about it. Jabu-Jabu was attacked by Barinade and Valoo by Gohma. Non of them died. It seems like the Deku Tree died in OoT, but after completing the Forest Temple you meet him alive and well, just in a new body. He even has all his meemorys. So it seems he only gave up his old body but never actually died. And now think about the light spirits in TP. They got attacked by shadow beasts, common enemys and they lost. So the GDT, J-J and V survived being attacked by bosses and the light spritis lost to some common enemies. Thats why I would change their placement

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom