• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Legend of Zelda: Movie

The Legend of Zelda movie is a fantastic idea but needs to be done right, if not fans will be arguing just like when the T.V. Series debuted. I will be introducing how they could maybe lay out the film or put it into a form that is good for both first time viewers and long term fans.

First off, it would be ridiculous to do all the games in a separate film. This is kind of constrainted due to the time line aspect and making it linear and what not. This story would be told in first person (audience not knowing the narrator is link) by an old man who spoke of a hero destine to save the world many times.

So this story would start out with Link talking about the first hero who saved the people of the Sky from a horrible war. Note: This is all told in flash backs and not going to in detail on certain things, only major events. This would maybe get a little confusing during the split so some of the less important games might be cut out.

After all of this reminiscing the old man would say "This hero was me and my ancestors that have saved the world generation by generation. I have a feeling an evil force will breathe seal between Hyrule and the Sacred Realm. (Link hands him the garb of the choosen one.) It's your time now go save Zelda. (Links grandson opens the door to see a massive war breaking out and a rip in the sky. He wonders out and draws his sword.)

Tell me what you think, do you like it or hate it. Thanks for reading!

Hanyou

didn't build that
I've always thought an anime movie or series about an untold period in Hyrule's history, perhaps excluding Link and Zelda, would be a great idea. I think they could even make a movie or show about Link and Zelda work, and if they had to draw from one of the games, Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker would have suitable stories.

As for your idea, you'd probably get better feedback from the fan works section. As of now, it's too vague for me to give an opinion. :)

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I'm chuckling on the inside at the thought of Link being an old man: "You damn kids get off my lawn...wait! I'm reminded about the time I had to save the world! Come here and listen!"

But seriously, most game movies are a flop...and we all know what became of the anime... The idea itself is a bit vague. It would be better if the movie borrowed from just one of the games. The narration at the beginning would take forever...

I was sittingin the car bored so i just tried to pull a couple ideas out of my head but i think they can have a pretty good movie if the director and writer have a strong passion and understanding of Zelda.

Even though it was the 90s (which was a painful time for most popular media), I think Nintendo really learnt their lesson with the Zelda anime and Captain N which in a lot of ways was even worse. I think as far as a Zelda movie as we'll get is another April fool's troll by IGN and voice acting in an actual Zelda game. OR the next Zelda could do what Metroid: Other M does by featuring a theatre mode and actually bringing up the entitle 'the movie' as Metroid does (as much as i wish it didn't). There is an F-zero anime out there as there is a Kirby anime and in the Kirby anime they manage to keep him silent but I don't think we'll see a reemergence of Zelda in Hollywood or anime. Using Metroid again, as Western as it feels and as well as it would probably lend itself to a Hollywood action and horror type film the idea has been there for years and has only been mildly considered before being rejected completely, Nintendo licenses aren't hot property for Hollywood even though video game movie adaptation can prove to be popular.

As for your idea i'll say what most others have. Its vague and Hollywood wouldn't go for it, they'd keep one linear story with a couple of main actors and stay with one long arc unless the Zelda movie somehow became more of an independent film affair but even then they'd want to keep only a few main actors for continuity and to keep the audience invested in only a few characters, they'd also not be able to afford bouncing all over Zelda's mythology.

If the worst were to happen and there was a Zelda movie/anime made then I'd want a completely fresh story and era as most Zelda games are to each other, separate barely linkable stories. this way if the movie/anime did suck royally we could easily forget about it, it'll be non-canon anyway and wouldn't hurt the mythology, just cheapen the name a little.
Though I think that all of the wars in Hyrule's history could serve as the best backdrop for a film and probably would if a movie was brain-stormed. It'd afford Hollywood lots of part characters to pad out the run time, epic trailer moment battles, cliche' deaths etc etc, Since Nintnedo will never drop a Zelda game in the middle of any war in or around Hyrule it'd be miuch more likely for other media to do it instead. Zelda's rule for new stories seems to be 'don't set it anywhere that other games have even slightly mentioned', the history of the game's world within its world IS part of that Zelda game. Alttp-sealing war is just as important a notion as actually rescuing Zelda in that game. The Sealing War is Alttp's back drop, there won't be a game in the middle of it because Alttp and any other games set after a war renders putting a game within one completely moot, we know what happened, we're playing the aftermath in most games with a war history in Zelda, we don't need to play through what the game tells us has already happened and what its outcome was.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom