• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Hunger Games Trilogy

SwiftestPhantom

Ganondorf Incarnate
anyone here read, or heard of, the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins? best. books. ever! :D speaking of HGs, the movie is coming out march 23! here's the official trailer...

[video=youtube;p-5ANq4sAL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-5ANq4sAL0[/video]

Rytex

Resident Netizen
I've read them, and I consider them the new Twilight. If you know anything about me, I HATE Twilight. However, this series did reasonably well. The first book was awesome, the second was worse, and the third was just plain Bleagh.

I say they're the new Twilight because they're the new Teen Romance Series of America. However, UNlike Twilight, romance is not the forefront of the series. It takes a backseat to dystopian republic and rebellion.

If I were to rate the series as a whole, I'd give it a 6/10.

Caeda

Keyblade Master
Crap I have to wait a few months to see the movie... :(

I have never heard of the hunger games, can someone describe to me what it is briefly?

Basically, it takes place in a post-apocalyptic US. The government there (known as the Capitol) split up the people into thirteen districts. About sevendy-five years befor the books, they tried to rebel agains the Capitol and were defeated, and District 13 was destroyed. To keep the rest in line, they started the Hunger Games. Each year, one boy and one girl from each district are forced to fight to the death in an arena while everyone watches. The main character, Katniss, is from District 12, the one district usually left alone. She's forced to take part in the games,and that's where the story begins.

I've only read the first book so far, but I have the second one on hold at our library...along with 20 other people. XD I really liked the first one, though. I read it in less than a day. The movie looks amazing! I can't wait to see it. :D

I read all three. I pretty much agree with Rytex. In the first book, Katniss was a strong, long-suffering, butt-kicker. But in the second book; not so much.

And in the THIRD book, Kat burst into a hissy fit almost half the novel, and spends the rest moping.

Hero

Prince of *drum roll*
I finished Mockingjay last night.
I loved them all.
I had some problems with each one, but I got over it.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I enjoyed the first book immensely. The second two were not as good, in my opinion. I am definitely looking forward to the movie, though!

I'm looking forward to the movie, though I still need to read the books (which I'm also looking forward to, because Suzanne Collins wrote my favorite book series, which was The Underland Chronicles. I'm particularly hoping that this movie (and the books) are and continue to be successful out of the hope that it will put more attention on her and her past works, because I think The Underland Chronicles, while probably not written terribly well, was a very intriguing tale that I enjoyed a lot and it needs more love.

Anyway, The Hunger Games definitely looks like an interesting story, and it ought to be from her. Looks like a very dark tale but with elements of potential hope that is presented in a way youths can enjoy without detracting from the seriousness. Trailer looks awesome too, and I noticed the music is really cool. :xd:

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
This series was the best series I've read by far. And I've read a lot. This series was phenomenal, and I couldnt stop reading; literally.

I read the first book in a matter of a week. At first I was skeptical of the series, because I heard that a ton of other people had read it and loved it. So naturally I became questioning and decided that I needed to determine this for myself. Once I finished the first book, I basically NEEDED to read the next two books without too much time between that and the first. I had to wait a couple of days until Christmas. I originally put the books on hold at the library, and then after I realized I didnt have my wallet in my car, my idea of buying the books at Target failed.

Once I got the books for Christmas, my life was over for two days. I was in my room, reading non-stop. Hours at a time, only stopping to eat and use the restroom. And even then I brought the books with me. A little extreme? Maybe to y'all, but its pretty natural for me when I read a fantastic series, and I must say this is by long shot the best I've ever read (and probably the best I ever will).

I hope this gives any future readers if this series some hope. The trailer for the movie gave me chills. When the countdown begins near the end, I just about keeled over. I must say I like the actor/actress choices for the roles as well.

Happy reading to all! I give this series a rousing 10/10

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
The Hunger Games Discussion; Spoilers

I'm hoping I catch a larger audience with this thread, since the movie is now coming out and lots of people have decided to read the series.

The Hunger Games. A trilogy consisting of a post-apocalyptic country divided into thirteen districts. The Capitol siezes control over all of the districts. It keep a tight lock over the districts because in a time earlier, the thirteenth district attempted to rebel and in response, the Capitol tore it to the ground. In order to keep all other districts from rebelling, they hold what's called the Hunger Games. A male and female tribute from each district are chosen from what's called the "reaping" for the games. They are matched with a mentor (a previous victor from their own district). All tributes must face eachother in an arena made by the Gamemakers from the Capitol, which may consist of anything from below freezing temperatures to humidity sky-rocketing in the desert. The tributes fight to the death and only one may come out as the winner. Katniss Everdeen, a female tribute from the coal-mining district of twelve becomes the narrator and leads all readers on an adventure of stomach-churning action, awe-inspiring gasps, and fond relationships.

Now that I've summed it up, I want to address anyone who has read one, two, or all three of these books within the series.
- What do you think of this series overall? For example: Were you amazed at the imagery? Emotionally active from the events in the series? Literally laughing out loud, crying and gasping? Or was it... well... not your type?
- Analysis of characters and their interactions? Ex: Team Peeta or Team Gale? How do you think Katniss's father played into this series? And what did you take from the depiction of President Snow by Katniss?
- What about each of the characters' abilities? Ex: Did you like Katniss as an archer? Would you have liked to see her handy with a different weapon? Same going to Peeta and Gale?

And of course the little things may be addressed! (My favorites!) Examples:
- What do you think about the Tracker Jackers? Or the concept of Mockingjays?
- Or those muttations? Were those one of the things you liked about the series? Were they the actual dead tributes or just depicted as them?
- And those tributes? Did you like Thresh? Rue? Cato, Foxface, Glimmer? Any others that stood out to you?

You can even bring up the movie! What do you think about the cast? Does the trailer live up to expectations for the movie? Did it give you chills like it did for me?

Anything else you avid readers can think to add (there must be millions with this series), type away! I am more than willing to see your responses!

And lastly, what do you rate this series, and why? (1-10 scale)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love The Hunger Games. I read them before they received national fame, and I still love them to date. They're very well-written, but I did hate Mockingjay for a few reasons. The story never wrapped up, and Katniss was whiny the entire time. I lost track of how many times she woke up in the hospital complaining. I love the first two, though, and I can't wait for the movie. Collins was sort of involved in the making of it, so I'm sure it will be faithful to the series. Also, my marching band did a band show of The Hunger Games, which was a lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom