• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The Future of the Hylian Knight Usergroup

Should the HK rank be kept?

• Keep the HK rank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do not keep the HK rank

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I am confident that if these inactive people were on your side you would count their vote. People are coming out of the wood works because they don't like the HK system fundamentally. If Durion and Majora's Cat popped up here and voted yes for HKs you would say it's totally legitimate. I agree with Vee, the vote happened before he was banned, so it should count. Your census analogy is flawed because in that case they are dead at the time of the census. A better analogy is to imagine someone voted in the Presidential Election and then they died after voting. Their vote would still be counted as far as I know.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Okay, I've skimmed over most of this thread and for the most part, it seems like people dislike the fact that being a Hylian Knights is a pat on the back given by other Hylian Knights. Hence the idea that the concept itself is flawed. I've given this some thought, and though I'm in no position to suggest stuff like this, I was wondering how people would feel about reworking the usergroup up from the ground after it's done away with. (I'm assuming it will be abolished based on the current poll results.)

To fix the inherent flaw in the concept, Hylian Knights should no longer be elected by other Knights. It should just be a reward for good behavior and posting quality; all the same criteria, just a little stricter. It can be taken away just as easily as it's given out, and it could be given out by community coordinators or administrators. (I don't know how I feel about moderators dishing the rank out, since they're more for just keeping the peace in the forums than running the place.) The nominee should be sent a PM letting them know that they've been chosen, and they have a week to accept or decline. If they slip up after gaining the rank, they should be notified via PM that they have one week to correct their behavior or they lose the rank. Of course, the comm. coordinators/admins can't be around all the time to check the HK's behaviors, so it should be up to the general populace to decide whether or not they're slipping up. They would then PM the admin/comm. coordinator with evidence of what they believe to be slip-ups.

So in short, make the Hylian Knight usergroup similar to the awards we give out. I feel like this would help dissolve the stigma that Hylian Knights are an exclusive club and that if you aren't one you're a nobody. How does that sound? I feel like this way would be better, since I do not believe the idea of rewarding someone for exemplary behavior is a flawed concept.

So, I wonder, does this idea for a new system sound better to those who are against the concept of Hylian Knights?

Mido

Version 1
I'm kind of disappointed that only 31 people have voted and considerably less have posted their opinions here. I know that this is open for a while but I expected some more conversation. Some Mafia games get almost this many people joining in less time.

I guess some people are on the fence or they possibly don't feel it's their place to decide, maybe their opinion might not be as strong.

Gah, called out of the sidelines! :lol: Still, JC's point hits it on the nail for me. Most of you guys are much more knowledgeable about the matter at hand than I am, so I really didn't think I should really branch out and offer input over the past few days. :yes: I cannot lie, however, I get somewhat nervous in these kinds of discussions.

I voted to keep the Knights because, at their best, I think the Knights are indeed a pleasant part of the forums. The Knights, at least in my experience, motivated me to try and post in a more intricate manner. The Knights I've known during my time here have also been friendly folks to me, and to others. Given I've never delved far into ZD's inner circle, I cannot vouch for everyone. At the Knights' worst, I can see why some people may or may not want the group removed. I've heard that cases of bias and what not were present in certain dealings with the Knights, but I never knew what to make of said situations. Through better or worse, I think it is a splendid move by the Knights of Hyrule to seek reform among themselves. I hope to see where the reform leads, but that all depends on the final result of the poll.

I'm about to rehash what a few others said, but I also have to concede to the opposition. I think that some aspects of the Hylian Knights can be found elsewhere, in other members/parts of the forums (Role Models). Despite this, I guess I always get this sort of 'coolness' vibe from a forum role model who bears the title of the Hylian Knight! :cool: That's not to say my reasoning is very strong, but the vibe still remains!

I have to come clean, there were times during my time on this forum that I too, have aspired to attain the rank. (My activity says otherwise! :sweat: ) The title of Hylian Knight seems to pervade a prestige, but a goodness as well. This goodness is one of helping others, contributing to the forum, and serving as a positive reinforcement for all around these parts! This also begs the question: is an honor rank such as the Hylian Knight even necessary to promote good behavior and tidings? No matter the fate of the Hylian Knight usergroup, this forum can flourish. :silent:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Mases should've been aware that they were going to change the system, why did he have you ask now instead of wait for said change?
I think we are all fully aware that Mases doesn't care about the forums. Neither does the forum admin, so I think I can safely say I am far from surprised.
As has been said, Mases pays absolutely zero attention to the forums. He considers it to be irrelevant and largely does not care what happens on it. He posed this question only to shut up the people complaining about the knights. There was no deeper reason than that. He just didn't like the complaining.

Well, a couple things.

First of all, I feel like the very definition of Role Model is kind of nebulous. The HK criteria have done a decent job of trying to define it, but again I don't feel it's satisfactory. People will interpret it their own ways make it fit the mold of whoever they want to be an HK. True, the HKs have weeded out a lot of those undeserving people we had a while back but down the road I fear it could happen again. All it takes is one person with power to mess things up again like a few years ago. The nebulous definition and the idea of a role model in itself also create the feeling that HKs are to be treated as higher and better than other members. It doesn't help that the voting process is highly secretive and no one really knows what goes on in it.

I guess the short and simple of my first point is that I think it causes unneeded division.

I also think it discourages people to continue to write good posts once they get the rank and they become complacent. I think an award system could be a decent idea to try. I mean at least then if you keep posting well you can keep winning awards etc. I think awards at least seem to convey a different feeling then a rank does, as the award member is still just a regular member. I don't know, this is just kind of stream of consciousness here.

I also admit part of it is my own misgivings, I don't like the idea that people can make threads about me to judge if I am worthy of some elite club of theirs or something. But that's just a bit of a paranoia thing on my part :P

I still don't like the idea of giving someone a rank for being a "good member", but if it were more public and everyone had an input I could probably stomach it a little better.
I understand your feelings. But you're badly misinformed about how things in the knights work. I am fully aware of where this wrong information came from. You might not be. But it's actually from Ventus. He spent the better part of the last year trying everything he could to slander the knights and scare people away from them.

But what if we have HKs acting badly? It's happened before. It might make a new member think twice if a supposed role model starts acting a way a role model isn't supposed to. Even if the new system is improved, people can change once they get the purple or over time.
The new voting system prevents the worst people, like Ventus, from making it through the process. And there is demotion. There have actually been a few in the last couple years. Most never go through because the user usually resigns before it can finish.

How many people are interested in resetting the poll? As Mercedes said, some may have voted off beforehand impressions and since changed their mind.
A poll is pointless. More on that further in this post.

The concept behind HK is more or less to be a "role model" group. Well, this is flawed because it essentially sets up a situation in which you have an exclusive group voting on who your role models are. Yes, you obviously don't have to have the predefined HKs as role models, but the concept itself is stupid. It essentially turns the idea of role models and having members you look up to into a bureaucracy. It's a concept that runs contrary to what it's trying to achieve. That always has been the problem, and always will. The HK rank is a manifestation of contradictory ideas and cannot exist because it cancels itself out.
Public voting would turn it into a straight up popularity contest. There really isn't much in the way of bureaucracy. It's quite informal on the inside actually. Very casual. Things are decided on consensus, not hierarchies and rigid rules.

Although I'm still undecided on the matter, I'd like to chime in with my thoughts about the current state of the Hylian Knight rank.

Now I probably shouldn't reveal this, but I was browsing the trash subforum and happened to stumble upon an HK nomination thread that had been moved to that section. It was one of the newer threads under the system that was used to promote Heroine and JC. Before reading any further, I decided to search for an old nomination thread from when nominations were monthly. The difference between quality of threads was extremely extensive to say the least.

Under the old nomination system, a thread would be created halfway through the month where HKs simply suggested some names of people who looked like potential HK candidates with a sentence of elaboration. Then, in a usually separate thread, voting would occur with members listing the proposed nominees as "yes" or 'no" votes with no reasoning at all.

In comparison, the nomination threads starting from last year are a lot more detailed and discussion promoting. Since every user has a thread dedicated to themselves, HKs go in depth about a potential candidate's quality of posts, attitude, and willingness to contribute to the forums, while also noting any reservations they may have, whether it be a past lapse in behavior or dedication. Most of the knights post 2-3 paragraphs per nomination thread they choose to participate in.

With an apparent drive to increase discussion in the subforum and from what I have heard Thareous, Vee, Fig, and several others state about the efficiency of the newest voting system implemented, I'm somewhat inclined to give the Hylian Knight rank the benefit of the doubt.

That said, the members who are opposed to keep the rank on the basis of its inefficiency (not what it stands for), are rightfully so as no progress has been made in the past year. Yes, promises are good and all; however, members want to see this talk translate into action.

As I don't have action to the Hylian Knights' section, I'll have to take JC's word for the following statement, and I'm very inclined to since others have voiced similar sentiments in the past; aside from promotion, another glaring issue with the HK rank is the lack of demotions for people who clearly lack interest in being active forum role models. Where has Majora's Cat been for the longest time? I'll admit that anyone who knows my activity on the Wiki has the right to call me a hypocrite in this regard, as I have been slacking for a scribe in 2014, yet I have never vanished from the face of the site completely; rather, I've chosen to prioritize one of my responsibilities over the other.

I still could understand keeping the rank if someone was contributing to other facets of the site. For example, there was a time period in which Hanyou was not the most active forum poster, but whenever he did log on, he made an effort to make exceptionally high quality posts, and he regularly contributed to the main site by posting articles on a rotating basis with Axle, Djinn, and Garo.

I don't have an inherent problem with the HK rank as its members do not flaunt their rank as some symbol of superiority, but its inner workings need to be more clearly defined to include rules for getting people in and out of the rank. And I guarantee, that if the rank is eliminated, which does not seem to be the case as this thread is going, there will be compensation for affected members. I'm in agreement with Wolf Sage that members such as MW7 and misskiten who have no ranks to "fall back on" so to speak should not go unacknowledged for making high quality posts over an extended period of time. I've considered revamping the Golden Fro and there will be more awards to follow in the near future including Locke's idea to honor those who have left a lasting imprint on the forums.

This change you're referring to is the system I designed to end the popularity contest that was going on before. Ventus, and a few other members, didn't like that their friends weren't getting voted in immediately. So they started screwing with the system in a number of ways. First of, they started telling everyone they can find how horrible the knights are and how they should resign the second they get voted in and you shouldn't trust them. He put up "joke" nominations of people who were badly behaved and never stood a chance to slow things down and make things look like they were not going. Then he started inflating the debates about the system that he was intentionally destabilizing and that slowed it down more. He messed it up so bad that we had to have a long debate about further changes which only just got finalized a couple weeks ago. A lot of what the people against the HKs are saying, are straight out of the mouth of Ventus and are exactly the kind of things he said. I don't don't the intentions of most of them, but they are badly misinformed about what actually goes on in there.

Here are the reasons why I think the rank should be abolished:

- I don't think my role models should be chosen for me
- I don't think my role models should be the ones to choose my role models for me
- I don't think my role models should have privileges I do not, however small (and then claim to just be normal members except purple)
- I don't like the idea of role models having a sanctioned environment for judging whether or not a member is good enough
to also be a role model behind his or her back
- I think it gives people incentive to make quality posts for the wrong reasons
- I think, because it is exclusive by nature, it creates disconnect within the community just by existing
- I think new members will have the mental capacity to recognize their own role models, no purple name or user badge needed
- I think members are capable following the rules without having to imitate somebody
- I think good posters will be good posters even without the rank (if not, they shouldn't have had the rank in the first place)
- I think the existence of the Golden Fro award and certain Golden Key awards make the rank unnecessary

Here are things that have nothing to do with why I think the rank should be abolished:

- Their voting system is bad
- Their voting system is good
- No one has been made HK in a year
- No one is being demoted
- I think they're arrogant
- Someone I don't like is a HK
- Someone I do like is not a HK
- I want to be a HK but am not being made a HK
- They're purple
- I don't like their user badge
- I don't actually have any of these opinions

So there you go. I know I'm not super tight with the community, but I've been visiting the forums daily for over a year now and figured I ought to give my opinion on the matter.
Echoing what I had just said, a lot of this is not true, and parts that are, I explained the problem with just previously.

Thereous and I have agreed that a 60% vote minimum when the poll is closed is required for the opposition's wish to be enacted and the HK rank removed.
I said before I'd explain why a poll is pointless. For the very same reason why voting needs a 60% threshold in knight voting, this poll here can never work. You are making a huge descision, destroying year's of work, based on a poll instead of on the discussion, based on the opinions of the most outraged people, the majority of whom are badly misinformed and are, at best, just unsettled by the concept of the HKs. Both represent a tiny minority of the forum's userbase. Hardly a fair vote. What's more, making the voting public is making it extremely unlikely that people on the fence will ever vote. Because they see the infighting here and they're terrified of being judged for having an opinion on the matter that others do not like. Also, a lot of people don't know this poll exists. No notice was put up about it. It's hidden in a relatively unvisited part of the forums that only a small circle of people frequent. Even I didn't notice it until now. That was a very poor mistake. You're getting only the most strongly focused voices and many more just are not aware or willing.

I strongly, STRONGLY urge not to remove the knights just because of a tiny polarized poll that was poorly implemented and badly timed.

If anything is to be done, I think instead the knights should be repurposed into a clan dedicated to being role models. And, as Djinn repeatedly suggested, we start forming other clans with other purposes. And they'll become a strictly, just for fun thing that people shouldn't be taking this seriously. That way, we don't ruin people's hard work on this issue, and we also address the legitmate concerns of the people who are uncomfortable with the concept of the knights as it currently stands.

Kybyrian

Matt said:
If anything is to be done, I think instead the knights should be repurposed into a clan dedicated to being role models. And, as Djinn repeatedly suggested, we start forming other clans with other purposes. And they'll become a strictly, just for fun thing that people shouldn't be taking this seriously. That way, we don't ruin people's hard work on this issue, and we also address the legitmate concerns of the people who are uncomfortable with the concept of the knights as it currently stands.

This is actually a great idea...

Honestly, the idea of clans had always repulsed me in the past, though I don't think I could ever say why. This does sound really good (and fun) though. I mean, even if the Knights were to be completely removed at this point, I would still support the creation of clans. Clans with different kinds of missions in mind. Like.... being role models (like Matt said), supporting the community, giving suggestions, making things fun, gathering new members (sort of like a clan where the members purposed themselves to make new members feel welcome), or other goals.

Last edited:
You are making a huge descision, destroying year's of work, based on a poll instead of on the discussion, based on the opinions of the most outraged people, the majority of whom are badly misinformed and are, at best, just unsettled by the concept of the HKs. Both represent a tiny minority of the forum's userbase. Hardly a fair vote. What's more, making the voting public is making it extremely unlikely that people on the fence will ever vote. Because they see the infighting here and they're terrified of being judged for having an opinion on the matter that others do not like.
I find it quite simplistic when people do this and sweep away the entire contents of an opposing viewpoint under the carpet under the excuse that it's "misinformed". If you believe a viewpoint to be misinformed then please explain why. Don't simply use that as your sole point of argument against it and hide such tactic under a large post.

That being said, I am in agreement that matters like this should generally be decided on by discussion rather than numbers alone. I was under the impression that such discussion was going on in these replies though, and not least in the sense of scaremongering people into staying quiet about what they think. I'm also doubtful that, if the numbers were currently swaying the other way, you'd still be displaying such a level of concern over the idea of a poll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and say that I do think the timing, approach and execution of this thread has been sloppy. The existence of the HK's certainly needed to be discussed but this felt like it was just slapped in here for the sake of reassuring people that they were being listened to. Whilst the voting is currently heading in favour of my viewpoint, I would still rather we started this again and did things properly.

I apologise for not bringing anything more to the core debate of the topic, but I've already outlined my viewpoints and just wanted to address what I thought was a dirty tactic on Matt's part. Not trying to take a dig at you Matt, I just don't believe you approached the quoted point in the best frame of mind.

Matt, forgive me if I misunderstood you, but I'm not really sure how anything you said relates to why I think the rank should be abolished, and proved that 'a lot of [it] is untrue.' If I wasn't clear enough, my issue with the Hylian Knight usergroup is that I disagree with the idea of a group of people choosing who the community should view as its role models on its behalf. That's exactly what the Hylian Knights are and do, I'm quite confident I've not been misinformed about that, and I disagree with it. I think it should be left up to the individual who he or she views as his or her role models. Not some group of designated role models, not popular opinion, but the individual and only the individual.

It sucks that Ventus screwed up your guys' operations, and it sucks that your hard work to fix all of that might go to waste, it really does, but in my opinion that's just not relevant. I feel absolutely no animosity toward any of the Knights themselves, but I disagree with the concept of the Hylian Knights on a moral ground and that's what I'd like you to challenge, not whether or not the opposition misinformed.

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Okay, thenI'll run through them.

Here are the reasons why I think the rank should be abolished:,

- I don't think my role models should be chosen for me
- I don't think my role models should be the ones to choose my role models for me
You're taking it much more seriously than the knights themselves do.
- I don't think my role models should have privileges I do not, however small (and then claim to just be normal members except purple)
They don't get any privalieges aside from a color, which really isn't that big of a deal and many other categories have them.

- I don't like the idea of role models having a sanctioned environment for judging whether or not a member is good enough
to also be a role model behind his or her back
And a public spectacle of judging who is the best in certain areas is better?
- I think it gives people incentive to make quality posts for the wrong reasons
Moot point because you are never going to be able to avoid people having the wrong reasons to make quality posts. Nothing you can do is going to change that and eliminating reasons you think they would, is not going to stop them and they'll just cling to something else.
- I think, because it is exclusive by nature, it creates disconnect within the community just by existing
The constant animousity by the people who loathe its existence has done a dozen times more to create a community disconnect by senstalizing this issue and complaining about a problem that isn't there.
- I think new members will have the mental capacity to recognize their own role models, no purple name or user badge needed
Again, you're taking it much more seriously and literally than it is meant to be. You're strawmanning it. Taking your own interpretation of what it is about and using it to criticize it.
- I think members are capable following the rules without having to imitate somebody
Another bizarre statement that has absolutely nothing to do with the Knights whatsoever.
- I think good posters will be good posters even without the rank (if not, they shouldn't have had the rank in the first place)
A little motivation is harmless. And some recognition for doing good things is not inherently a bad thing. It only is when that's all someone cares about. It's not black and white. It's not all or nothing.
- I think the existence of the Golden Fro award and certain Golden Key awards make the rank unnecessary
I'd argue that they're both worse than the Knights. Awards are entirely at the whim of the staff with no real voting and don't really mean much of anything. And the Golden Key awards are glorified popularity contests that are much worse than the Knights, and people who oppose the existence of the Knights also are hypocritically supporting the Golden Key awards. The vast majority of people who win those awards were merely popular and didn't actually deserve the awards they won. They're completely pointless. I think they're harmful. But you don't see me campaigning to take it away from the people who enjoy it simple because I find them distasteful. I would like to believe that I am above that sort of pettiness.

Here are things that have nothing to do with why I think the rank should be abolished:

- Their voting system is bad
- Their voting system is good
No it's not. See ALIT and my explanation before for why it is not.
- No one has been made HK in a year
That was explained. There were problems with a few biligerant HKs last year. Also we hadn't have enough people to vote because of those same HKs, and many of the people speaking here, scaring people into resigning from the knights and insisting they would resign if voted in.
- No one is being demoted
You should never use demotions as a quota, a requirement for a healthy system. If you have had no demotions (which isn't even truth in this case), it means you're doing well, and your system is working. If you have a lot, in means you're doing a horrible job picking people. We have had attempted demotions in the last two years, but they all resigned first before they completed.
- I think they're arrogant
I think the consensus here is that the current ones are not. Even by most of the people most adamantly gunning for killing the group. From my own personal experience, I would say that everyone on the forums, even myself, has some arrogance. But none of the knights are particularly bad. Even most people on the forums, except for a few notable exceptions, are pretty decient.
- Someone I don't like is a HK
- Someone I do like is not a HK
- I want to be a HK but am not being made a HK
I might go to a beach.
- They're purple
I wanted them to be a greenish blue like the water on that beach.
- I don't like their user badge
It lacks seashells, that I would collect on the beach.
- I don't actually have any of these opinions
Would have liked to run tests on the seashells. :(

So there you go. I know I'm not super tight with the community, but I've been visiting the forums daily for over a year now and figured I ought to give my opinion on the matter.
Indicitive that you're not exactly going to be informed and instead going to go off what the angriest voice says.

Now... you people all know how vocal I am when I think there is a problem. And how I don't hold back my opinions for fear of what someone would think. I understand where you are all coming from on this. But honestly I cannot agree. I think you are all taking it way more seriously than it is meant to be. And that you're really venting some of your other frustrations about the forums into this. I know some of you very well and I can see it plain as day in what you're writing. Think about what you're doing. "It displeases me, so YOU are not allowed to have it anymore." Is that really what you're about? Taking things from others that you find distasteful that you don't have to have anything to do with if you don't want? I'm not 100% satisfied with it either. And I even SHARE the exact same reservations about elitism and arrogance in it and I have actively worked as hard as I could to get rid of that. And by now, I think I have had a lot of success in doing that. Everyone in there really likes the new system. We're excited to try it out. And now this.

If you don't like what the knights are... just ignore it. Some the same people, my friends, who are calling to kill the knights are the very same ones who have been backing me up in the MD issues using this same reasoning, that if you are not comfortable with it, and can't handle it, you should avoid it, rather than trying to go in and mess with someone else's stuff that you don't have to take part in. I find your position there in conflict with your position here and a good friend wouldn't hide the fact that you're being hypocritical here.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Okay, thenI'll run through them.

You're taking it much more seriously than the knights themselves do.

?

I think that was a little lazy reply Matt. I think he wants to convey that the choice of who is a role model should be a community thing. If the community likes somebody very much; congratulations. Instead of having a specific group of people that got handpicked long ago, and just chose who would join them in total secrecy. I too agree with him that role models shouldn't pick other role models, they once were regular members too so why not let everyone be part of the decision, a community decision.

They don't get any privalieges aside from a color, which really isn't that big of a deal and many other categories have them.

The PM capacity thing and access to hidden sub-forum is probably the two I can think of. The PM thing has been given to everyone I think, although the hidden sub-forum is still unnecessary IMO since like I said earlier, it shouldn't be a secret process, it should be public so people can at least know why someone gets picked/not picked. If one is afraid to show others why he mad a particular choice, it could easily be misinterpreted as shady business.

And a public spectacle of judging who is the best in certain areas is better?

This goes hand in hand what I said above. I do think so. If somebody gets turned down for HK, they deserve to know why. Everyone should be able to at least see the process so they know who is going to become HK and who needs to improve in order to be considered a role model. It is honestly not a horrible thing if you get turned down, you aren't failing as a member, just to be a role model.

Moot point because you are never going to be able to avoid people having the wrong reasons to make quality posts. Nothing you can do is going to change that and eliminating reasons you think they would, is not going to stop them and they'll just cling to something else.

I do agree with this to a certain extent. Although I don't think this view is enough of an excuse to stop making improvements when it comes to these things. I'd rather have people make posts out of "greed" to become a role model, than to become a typical ZD HK that hardly does anything and is only known by anyone because of their rank (which yes, I don't consider a role model). So what I basically mean is that yes, there will always be ulterior motives, but some are better than others.

The constant animousity by the people who loathe its existence has done a dozen times more to create a community disconnect by senstalizing this issue and complaining about a problem that isn't there.

I don't think that would've happened in the first place had the HK's not been so secretive about their voting. It could be seen as a minor point, but keeping a reason for somebody getting a promotion (shouldn't even use that word since HK's should be equal to members but YOLO) hidden just sparks rumors and grudges.

Again, you're taking it much more seriously and literally than it is meant to be. You're strawmanning it. Taking your own interpretation of what it is about and using it to criticize it.

I don't see why you say that since he has a clear point. The HK's are supposed to be role models that encourage & inspire new members to make good posts. Although this thought itself is a little outdated and he is correct that a new member shouldn't really be treated like a little kid with the HK being the adult.

Another bizarre statement that has absolutely nothing to do with the Knights whatsoever.

It is similar to the last one. He basically means that role models aren't really needed. Members don't need to look up to a role model to know how to not break rules.

A little motivation is harmless. And some recognition for doing good things is not inherently a bad thing. It only is when that's all someone cares about. It's not black and white. It's not all or nothing.

I think the problem with this and the HK system is that there are way more members that are equal/more experiences posters than the HK's themselves. It is a very slow process and even if it were fast, every 3rd or 4th member would be purple. That is just silly and I think a simple little badge, no color or banner, would be sufficient for recognition.

I'd argue that they're both worse than the Knights. Awards are entirely at the whim of the staff with no real voting and don't really mean much of anything. And the Golden Key awards are glorified popularity contests that are much worse than the Knights, and people who oppose the existence of the Knights also are hypocritically supporting the Golden Key awards. The vast majority of people who win those awards were merely popular and didn't actually deserve the awards they won. They're completely pointless. I think they're harmful. But you don't see me campaigning to take it away from the people who enjoy it simple because I find them distasteful. I would like to believe that I am above that sort of pettiness.

The awards are like the HK system then? :lol: :yes: :kirby: :bunnylink:

I could agree on some categories on the GKA's but imo this years nominees were mostly fair. It is still a big opinion contest. If you want an objective contest as possible then there need to be very specific rules & guidelines set out at the start that everyone needs to read for example what it means to be a good poster/thread starter/signature maker etc. Why not take a piece out of the Book of the HK for the first two since they are the main reasons people seem to have been promoted, for posts & threads ?

Now for the rest after the above, I don't really know why you replied to those since he stated that they are not relevant to his opinion of the rank?

Indicitive that you're not exactly going to be informed and instead going to go off what the angriest voice says.

Like I said to Fig, I don't think you need a lot of knowledge about the forums and their members to be able to make a legit opinion here. All you need to do is:

1. Read up on what a HK is & is supposed to be.
2. Judge whether or not that is a good way of presenting role models (if you even think a forum needs role models).
3. Come to this thread and place your vote.

Now... you people all know how vocal I am when I think there is a problem. And how I don't hold back my opinions for fear of what someone would think. I understand where you are all coming from on this. But honestly I cannot agree. I think you are all taking it way more seriously than it is meant to be. And that you're really venting some of your other frustrations about the forums into this. I know some of you very well and I can see it plain as day in what you're writing. Think about what you're doing. "It displeases me, so YOU are not allowed to have it anymore." Is that really what you're about? Taking things from others that you find distasteful that you don't have to have anything to do with if you don't want? I'm not 100% satisfied with it either. And I even SHARE the exact same reservations about elitism and arrogance in it and I have actively worked as hard as I could to get rid of that. And by now, I think I have had a lot of success in doing that. Everyone in there really likes the new system. We're excited to try it out. And now this.

I don't really think you do understand where most of the opposition is coming from. It is simply an unnecessary rank and no matter if the system works 100% as intended it will still meet opposition since the fundamental idea isn't good. It is a little lazy to say that the rank should stay just because it's not that big of a deal and shouldn't be taken seriously, but yet all the HK's take it seriously enough and really bust their butts to try and make it work as intended. Maybe I'm the only one that finds this weird?

We are not taking anything from anybody here, there is honestly nothing to take but a purple color and access to a hidden section of the forums. And again, just because an annoyance is seen as unnecessary/no big deal then that isn't a good enough reason not to make room for something better.

If you don't like what the knights are... just ignore it. Some the same people, my friends, who are calling to kill the knights are the very same ones who have been backing me up in the MD issues using this same reasoning, that if you are not comfortable with it, and can't handle it, you should avoid it, rather than trying to go in and mess with someone else's stuff that you don't have to take part in. I find your position there in conflict with your position here and a good friend wouldn't hide the fact that you're being hypocritical here.

It is a different thing Matt when talking about MD issues, RL stuff and opinions. This here is a role model system on a gaming forum we are talking about, why turn your back around and avoid it when you could make a change for the better. I can understand doing that when somebody goes on and on about the earth being flat, or tries to convert you to Satanism... but why turn your back about an annoyance of something you yourself are part of? like a role model system on a gaming forum I am part of?

Matt, this is the first time in a while the community has been able to have a say on this matter. If people are going to be chosen as role models for the community, then isn't it only fair to allow everyone to voice their opinions on how the process is going and what they would like to see in the future? Of course non-HKs don't know about the dealings inside of the HK subforum as they don't have access to it, but they understand what the rank stands for. While there are some people who are dissatisfied with the rank for its slow and cumbersome voting system, others are opposed to it by principle, which is something you haven't acknowledged.

Regarding the poll, there needs to be some way to quantify peoples' opinions on the matter. This thread has promoted a ton of discussion; while it's a shame some people have simply voted on the poll without contributing any written thoughts, it's understandable that they may not want to be involved in the debates that stem from such a topic. Similar polls were created for the old reputation system, for example, so the future of the HKs is worthy of a community discussion as well.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
?

I think that was a little lazy reply Matt. I think he wants to convey that the choice of who is a role model should be a community thing. If the community likes somebody very much; congratulations. Instead of having a specific group of people that got handpicked long ago, and just chose who would join them in total secrecy. I too agree with him that role models shouldn't pick other role models, they once were regular members too so why not let everyone be part of the decision, a community decision.
I'll reiterate that that is still taking it too seriously. It's not about "these are the people who are your role models and no one else is." That's not what it's about at all. It's recognition for what has been done and encouragement to continue being a role model and helping others. A public vote on this, would just inflate the very problem that started the initial knight hatred in the first place: very bad people who were merely popular getting the rank, and falling in love with the power they think they have, but actually don't. The very things you're complaining about are not true now, but would be extremely problematic if voting was handled by the community. This isn't a public office. They're not power positions meant to order people around. You're placing far more importance on them than actually exists.

The PM capacity thing and access to hidden sub-forum is probably the two I can think of. The PM thing has been given to everyone I think, although the hidden sub-forum is still unnecessary IMO since like I said earlier, it shouldn't be a secret process, it should be public so people can at least know why someone gets picked/not picked. If one is afraid to show others why he mad a particular choice, it could easily be misinterpreted as shady business.
Going off what I just said, you're seeing more status there than actually exists. Insisting that it's there will only make it more tempting for the people who want it. You take this away from them, you are not going to stop those people, they'll still seek status some other way.

This goes hand in hand what I said above. I do think so. If somebody gets turned down for HK, they deserve to know why. Everyone should be able to at least see the process so they know who is going to become HK and who needs to improve in order to be considered a role model. It is honestly not a horrible thing if you get turned down, you aren't failing as a member, just to be a role model.
I don't know if you noticed, but this forum has a huge cancerous tumor in it. People CANNOT HANDLE being told things they don't want to hear. They don't like hearing anything that disagrees with their beliefs or opinions. What do you think will happen when they see the opinions of why people think they just aren't good enough. "Oh, I guess I have to improve then." or, more likely: "This is outragous! I'm horribly offended by this, none of that is true! I'm much better than that!" And... who's to say? maybe they're right, maybe in some cases they're not. You could see both when such a public spectacle would almost certainly operate on a popularity basis. That's how the HK voting used to run, effectively by popularity only. It took years of work and strict regulations on how the voting works in order to kill the popularity aspect of voting.

I do agree with this to a certain extent. Although I don't think this view is enough of an excuse to stop making improvements when it comes to these things. I'd rather have people make posts out of "greed" to become a role model, than to become a typical ZD HK that hardly does anything and is only known by anyone because of their rank (which yes, I don't consider a role model). So what I basically mean is that yes, there will always be ulterior motives, but some are better than others.
It is when a big part of people's argument is that people view it as a status symbol. I hate status symbols, and honestly the only people that I see that think it is one, are the people trying to kill it.

I don't think that would've happened in the first place had the HK's not been so secretive about their voting. It could be seen as a minor point, but keeping a reason for somebody getting a promotion (shouldn't even use that word since HK's should be equal to members but YOLO) hidden just sparks rumors and grudges.
I want to see you try giving people the reasons why they were rejected from... anything really. See how well that works. In an ideal world maybe. Often times criticisms against a person are completely unfounded and not even remotely true. Sometimes... they're absolutely on the point. In either case, the person will not be too happy about it. People have the right to voice their opinions. But it was decided, before my time, that it's for the best that people probably should not see the criticisms against them.

I don't see why you say that since he has a clear point. The HK's are supposed to be role models that encourage & inspire new members to make good posts. Although this thought itself is a little outdated and he is correct that a new member shouldn't really be treated like a little kid with the HK being the adult.
I'm not sure where these ideas have been coming from. You're picking out falsehoods and using them as criticisms. No current HKs do that at all.

It is similar to the last one. He basically means that role models aren't really needed. Members don't need to look up to a role model to know how to not break rules.
AS I said before, telling people how not to break the rules has absolutely nothing to do with the HKs. That's the moderator's job. Any HKs that do it are either moderators or are doing it of their own prerogative and NOT because it's the job of an HK. The job is to be a role model. You might have noticed that I have very, VERY strong criticisms of the forum's existing rules. So... again, this is completely irrelevant and you can't just using completely untrue things to implicate the HKs. This isn't a political campaign ad. Stick to the truth please.

I think the problem with this and the HK system is that there are way more members that are equal/more experiences posters than the HK's themselves. It is a very slow process and even if it were fast, every 3rd or 4th member would be purple. That is just silly and I think a simple little badge, no color or banner, would be sufficient for recognition.
We've explained a few times now why the process was on hold. And I explained here and in the rank color thread how removing colors, and I suppose by extension banners too, will only make only make the remaining ones more desirable and incure even more status and that seems completely counter to the stated intentions of the people who wish to kill the knights.

I could agree on some categories on the GKA's but imo this years nominees were mostly fair. It is still a big opinion contest. If you want an objective contest as possible then there need to be very specific rules & guidelines set out at the start that everyone needs to read for example what it means to be a good poster/thread starter/signature maker etc. Why not take a piece out of the Book of the HK for the first two since they are the main reasons people seem to have been promoted, for posts & threads ?
It's a glorified popularity contest. Candidates win on popularity, not merit. If they happen to really qualify, they got there because of how many people know them, not their actual qualifiations. I have completely distain for the whole process but I'm not going to argue that it should be ended because I don't see the point in trying to kill something I don't have to take part in. And I'm still confused as to why people here are so insistant on doing that here when nothing is forcing them to have any part of it. I don't see it as a reasonable stance. And I would say that even if I 100% agreed that it was a pointless thing. So what? Who cares if people don't like something. That gives you absolutely no right to go in and demand that people either change or stop something you don't like that you do not have to participate in. It just comes across to me as horribly selfish, intrusive and arrogantly self-righteous.

Now for the rest after the above, I don't really know why you replied to those since he stated that they are not relevant to his opinion of the rank?
I think it is obvious towards the end of the second half that I was not taking the second half seriously.

1. Read up on what a HK is & is supposed to be.
Except people are not doing that. They're just latching on to the most negative things about it, regardless of whether or not they have any truth whatsoever, and then criticizing it for that. You can't avoid coming across as ignorant and condescending when your arguments consist of things that actually are true mixed in with complete falsehoods, both used equally as criticisms. It makes for a very weak argument. And it's odd to see that happen, and then people act as if they've been victorious for using those tactics.

I don't really think you do understand where most of the opposition is coming from. It is simply an unnecessary rank and no matter if the system works 100% as intended it will still meet opposition since the fundamental idea isn't good. It is a little lazy to say that the rank should stay just because it's not that big of a deal and shouldn't be taken seriously, but yet all the HK's take it seriously enough and really bust their butts to try and make it work as intended. Maybe I'm the only one that finds this weird?
Everyone in this opposition, even if they have good, well intentioned reasons, are using false rumors, and outright fabrications, to put weight on their arguments. Probably not even aware the things they've heard are not remotely true.

We are not taking anything from anybody here, there is honestly nothing to take but a purple color and access to a hidden section of the forums. And again, just because an annoyance is seen as unnecessary/no big deal then that isn't a good enough reason not to make room for something better.
I fail to see how being so dedicated to killing the system that this opposition would complain to Mases enough about it that he'd have this knee-jerk reaction to quiet them up, and then criticize it with false information, continually insistant that they want it gone, does not consitute "taking away something." It very clearly is. You don't like the knights? DON'T INTERACT WITH THEM. No one is force-feeding the system down your throat. Like I said above, I find it to be very immoral position to want to tell someone to stop doing something that doesn't affect you, that you don't have to be involved with, simply because YOU DO NOT LIKE IT. That is the same kind of reasoning the homophobes use to oppose gay marriage. It offends their sensibilities. So what? Who cares. It doesn't have to have anything to do with you if you don't want it to.

It is a different thing Matt when talking about MD issues, RL stuff and opinions. This here is a role model system on a gaming forum we are talking about, why turn your back around and avoid it when you could make a change for the better. I can understand doing that when somebody goes on and on about the earth being flat, or tries to convert you to Satanism... but why turn your back about an annoyance of something you yourself are part of? like a role model system on a gaming forum I am part of?
I don't see it as any different. People don't like something. They do not have to participate, they want it gone anyway. Despite having the EXACT OPPOSITE opinion on the exact same kind of thing on another matter.

Matt, this is the first time in a while the community has been able to have a say on this matter. If people are going to be chosen as role models for the community, then isn't it only fair to allow everyone to voice their opinions on how the process is going and what they would like to see in the future? Of course non-HKs don't know about the dealings inside of the HK subforum as they don't have access to it, but they understand what the rank stands for. While there are some people who are dissatisfied with the rank for its slow and cumbersome voting system, others are opposed to it by principle, which is something you haven't acknowledged.
And yet everyone opposing this is hinging their arguments on incorrect information. Information I've heard before from a certain person.

Regarding the poll, there needs to be some way to quantify peoples' opinions on the matter. This thread has promoted a ton of discussion; while it's a shame some people have simply voted on the poll without contributing any written thoughts, it's understandable that they may not want to be involved in the debates that stem from such a topic. Similar polls were created for the old reputation system, for example, so the future of the HKs is worthy of a community discussion as well.
A ton of heated, angry discussion, full of insults both ways by a small number of people, which on the face of it looked like it resulted in two bans (regardless of what really happened, that's what it looks like in context here) and people making things up. Combined with a public poll, it guarentees on the fence will keep their distance and you won't accomplish what was intended. They'd be too terrified of making a statement.

I find it quite simplistic when people do this and sweep away the entire contents of an opposing viewpoint under the carpet under the excuse that it's "misinformed". If you believe a viewpoint to be misinformed then please explain why. Don't simply use that as your sole point of argument against it and hide such tactic under a large post.

That being said, I am in agreement that matters like this should generally be decided on by discussion rather than numbers alone. I was under the impression that such discussion was going on in these replies though, and not least in the sense of scaremongering people into staying quiet about what they think. I'm also doubtful that, if the numbers were currently swaying the other way, you'd still be displaying such a level of concern over the idea of a poll. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt though and say that I do think the timing, approach and execution of this thread has been sloppy. The existence of the HK's certainly needed to be discussed but this felt like it was just slapped in here for the sake of reassuring people that they were being listened to. Whilst the voting is currently heading in favour of my viewpoint, I would still rather we started this again and did things properly.

I apologise for not bringing anything more to the core debate of the topic, but I've already outlined my viewpoints and just wanted to address what I thought was a dirty tactic on Matt's part. Not trying to take a dig at you Matt, I just don't believe you approached the quoted point in the best frame of mind.

Um... no? I had JUST explained exactly why everything was untrue previously. I was not going to go about restating it, these posts are already way too long. So it was absolutely not the case that I just said "you're misinformed" and left it at that. I'll go ahead and say I'm displeased at this dirty tactic of... well... blatantly lying about just happened to try to invalidate what I said. I did not just use "misinformed. I stated that I explained what was really going on, which I did.

Absolutely yes it shouldn't go by pure numbers. Especially with the fear factor in this poll. It really, really should have been private. There's a reason why voting for public government officies, laws, etc. is private. And it's this. The fear factor of what people will think of you if you don't share their opinion and they show themselves to be very intolerant of different opinions on the subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Going to reply Matt, just not right now since it's getting pretty late over here.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I finally made my decision, and I went ahead and voted that we should keep it. Under normal circumstances I would have voted to abolish it without a second thought, however we're being promised change and I want to see how this change is executed. If in a few months this change does nothing and you decide to ask us again, then my answer will be a firm 'no'. For now, though, I wanna see what they've got up their sleeve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom