• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

The British Music Scene.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
Seeing as the majority of this forum is American, and seeing as argueably American music is the most mainstream across the world. I was wondering on peoples views on music with roots in the UK such as, your favourite bands/artists, comparisons with American bands/artists and how you feel about our music in general!

Debate as much as you like!

Poe

ᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ ᴅɪsᴀᴘᴘᴇᴀʀs
The ones I thought were good got knocked off the charts by the big time American musical groups ages ago. Kind of a shame but, generally, the current 'in' music isn't from here, it's all I hear about, and so I no longer have an opinion on what England can actually churn out in comparison.

One of my favorite bands from the UK is probably the Clash.

As far as which place turns out better music. You can never really tell. Especially like you said, American music overshadows most of the world. I don't know about now, but America definitely used to produce some of the best music there is.

Veely

Unwanted ZD Member
One of my favorite bands from the UK is probably the Clash.

As far as which place turns out better music. You can never really tell. Especially like you said, American music overshadows most of the world. I don't know about now, but America definitely used to produce some of the best music there is.

I agree with all of you but I also like the Clash and the Beatles of course! but really I kinda like everything from Britain music, TV Shows (look at avy and sig) , Some movies that I can't think of.... but I digress. Really our culture in America is changing because of different influences like Flo Rider (Rap), Taylor Swift (Country) and many others that they all are making it not like the 60's, or 70's or,80's!
WHERE ARE THOSE TIMES OF GREAT MUSIC! =....(

I agree with all of you but I also like the Clash and the Beatles of course! but really I kinda like everything from Britain music, TV Shows (look at avy and sig) , Some movies that I can't think of.... but I digress. Really our culture in America is changing because of different influences like Flo Rider (Rap), Taylor Swift (Country) and many others that they all are making it not like the 60's, or 70's or,80's!
WHERE ARE THOSE TIMES OF GREAT MUSIC! =....(

Well, I think what gets remembered is the great stuff. But there were also terrible bands back in the day too!

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I grew up in the 70's and 80's and most bands were british! Some very popular bands from the past (50, 60, 70, 80,s):
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran (I used to be a fan of them in the early 80's)
U2
Genesis
The Who
The Kinks
The Small Faces
Cliff Richard and the Shadows (Shadows became very popular with Cliff but also without him. They played instrumental music)
Slade (one of my most fav bands eva! They are far underrated for all they accomplished)
Mud (They were extremely popular over here during the 70's but I was too young to remember)
Sweet
Gary Glitter
Herman's Hermits
E.L.O
The Rolling Stones
Paperlace (Billy don't be a hero, Night Chicago died)
Moody Blues
Alison Moyet
Culture Club
Wham (former band which made George Michael an icon)
Bay City Rollers
Gary and the Pacemakers (You'll never walk alone - song of Liverpool)
Bee Gees (yes even though they grew up in Australia they are british)
Lulu ( singer from the 60's and a very high voice)
Dusty Springfield
Iron Maiden (super cool!)
Pink Floyd
Supertramp
Ozzie Osbourne (yep he is british)
Motörhead (metal band)
Elton John
David Bowie
Rod Stewart
Eurythmics
Fleetwood Mac

I can go on and on.....my fav Band out of those is definitely Slade. Great Band and has accomplished a huge lot through all those years they are there. I also like Iron Maiden. Maybe a bit soft for Trash Metal fans but I like them. They are really cool and always have lyrics you have to think about. I can't really say I have many fav bands because most of the times I love the songs more than the artist(s) singing them

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
And from the replies on this thread I can tell that all the UK bands and artists that you like are from much earlier decades and generations. I love British music and funnily enough I am british, but 97% of all the bands and artists listed above I dislike. It's a shame that the majorly recognisable British music scene died at the beginning of the nineties.

Continue posting! :D

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I'm actually a VERY big fan of current British music, moreso than American or Canadian music actually. I love The Fratellis, The Ting Tings, Mika, among others.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
It's not necessarily about like and dislike those bands listed, it's about the artists who had the most influence on the music scene. For someone who grew up in the 70's and 80's I have a very strong dislike against the music in the 90's because it was more about rap, hiphop, house and many one day hit wonders. Whether you like it or not but if you wanna find the british influence on today's music scene you have to go back in the past. Bands we would call outdated today are the ones who will always be in music history books.

But everybody has the right to state their own opinion of course ;) What I like doesn't mean you must like as well.

S

Splidge

Being from Britain, and all though I don't view the current popular music charts very often, it's hard to find very British artists.
Bands I like that are British and amazing are:
The Arctic Monkeys
M.I.A - She is originally from Sri Lanka, but is based in London.
The Kooks
The Fratellis - They're new album is brilliant, just it's never played that often, they kinda dropped into the background after their general introduction to fame.
Paolo Nutini
The xx - Brand new indie band, Stars is a fantastic simple tune, great bass.
Hot Chip - You've most definitely heard Over and Over
The Rolling Stones
The Clash
The Specials
The Sex Pistols
Biffy Clyro - Check out their old stuff, it's far better than their latest album.
Pink Floyd
There's definitely more but I haven't the faintest idea of what they are right now. I prefer the old British music scene to the new one, although I'm 16, I can definitely tell it was much better, I don't need to do much comparing. A lot of what I listen to is more European, as I'm really into the techno/electro scene :D

But honestly, British music can be great, but it's really faded out a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom