• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Termina's Name

I've never seen any discussion on this, so I will ask: is it known how the makers of Majora's Mask came up with the name Termina? I think it comes from the words "terminate" or "Terminal" which makes sense because it is about to be destroyed.

That's a very interesting question.... and some good theories. I especially like the "terminate" theory! Makes a lot of sense. Personally, though, I think it's most likely that they came up with it the same way they did "Hyrule" or "Koholint", or how any author comes up with names for any story he/she writes, which seems to be mostly just random words that sounded cool at the time. That could just be me being naive, but it's just what I personally think.

Seeing as the whole game is based on the fact that their world is ending. Yes. It is most definitely from terminal. It would be a ridiculous coincidence if otherwise. That being said I'm not sure of any for sure sources. Everywhere I have seen has speculated this way though.

Kungfuyu24

Metanna! Nurunna!
Termina is derived from the Latin word "terminus" which means "end". It is also very related to words like terminal and terminate since they all stem from the same root word. All of the words have something to do with TIME. This is evident in the world of Majora's Mask with the Carnival of Time and Clock Town.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Like everyone else said, it would make sense that it comes from terminal or terminus. In spanish, Termina means the end, so I definitely think that they brilliantly applied that name to this world. The whole game revolves around time so it would only make sense to name the world after some aspect of time.

I've never seen any discussion on this, so I will ask: is it known how the makers of Majora's Mask came up with the name Termina? I think it comes from the words "terminate" or "Terminal" which makes sense because it is about to be destroyed.
There are actually a couple threads about this topic.
In spanish, Termina means the end, so I definitely think that they brilliantly applied that name to this world.
I was about to say something about this. "Termina" is a conjugated form of "terminar," which means "to end" (or something to that extent). Conjugating "terminar" into "termina" can make it "you end," "he ends," or it can be "she ends." If the name was taken from the Spanish word "terminar," then the name of the land can possibly be referenced to Skull Kid or Majora's Mask and the events that would happen to cause the destruction of Termina.

Last edited:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Personally, though, I think it's most likely that they came up with it the same way they did "Hyrule" or "Koholint", or how any author comes up with names for any story he/she writes, which seems to be mostly just random words that sounded cool at the time. That could just be me being naive, but it's just what I personally think.
Actually in any writing, names can mean a lot and most writers actually put a lot of thought into names, especially for significant things like main characters or fictional locations, but that's getting a bit off topic.

Termina, as many have already said, ties into the idea of an "end",derived from latin "terminus"-"to end", symbolically referring to the apocalyptic nature of the game's plot. I personally feel that there is another symbolic meaning to the name. Kaepora Gaebora implied that Termina was a land "destined to fade" or something along those lines. If that is the case, then the name Termina may have been given as a sort of prophesy, and that leads to all sorts of potential for odd theories I won't go into. At the same time, the fact that Termina was actually saved may indicate that the name was chosen for irony, a land named for its fate of dying actually survives in the end. In literature, it is said that irony trumps everything, so maybe the game creators felt like adding in some irony. *shrugs*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom