• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Superbosses

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I knw this idea has been presented before, but let me shoot it back into the air again. Many MMORPGS and RPGs at that have this concept of "super"boss; it's essentially a boss with very high endurance and attack patterns that aren't very predictable OR manageable. They are optional by the way. Again I'll post some videos of what I mean:
[video=youtube;kwkFMd1Smow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkFMd1Smow[/video][video=youtube;4weA9Ldjs14]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4weA9Ldjs14[/video][video=youtube;L-HZSMXwLAw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_925856&feature=iv&src_vid=X5AL-ai0w1M&v=L-HZSMXwLAw[/video]

How would this idea translate into Zelda? All bosses we see in the series (bar AOL) feature very standard bosses, ones that are very transparent and easily manageable. Could there be a change?

Salem

SICK
That will be awesome, but what ail be the typical reward for the player that defeats these bosses? is beating them the reward in itself?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That will be awesome, but what ail be the typical reward for the player that defeats these bosses? is beating them the reward in itself?

Could be that we get Picolyte. Mayhaps we get zip. Or maybe Link finally gets the cape that he so deserves? The idea behind it is that a superboss is optional post game content that isn't so easily completed, and the reward can range from bragging rights to infinite rupees to who knows what else.

tumblr_lw8bdkI8gC1qdur69o1_1280.jpg

I dunno if anyone remembers, but I actually made this thread back when I first joined. And I still think it's a great idea. Superbosses are an awesome optional challenge that I think with proper design choices could fit very well in the Zelda series. I think the easiest way to pull that off would be to have multiple phase fights with difficult to predict attack patterns and no one preferred method of defeat (at least not one that is obvious or meant to be figured out). As for rewards for these bosses, I'm thinking the most kickass items in the game. Maybe there's like three Superbosses, and as you beat them you get really great upgrades, each of which is helpful against one of the superbosses, so there's a certain strategy to it. That would be neat. I'm mostly thinking about like, extreme upgrades of normal items. Maybe a super high defense tunic, or a biggoron/great fairy type sword, or maybe some crazy weird item akin to the magic cape that lets you get some secrets. All I know is the fights have to be worth it. I also think the bosses themselves should be a mix of overworld bosses and bosses that have their own super secret minidungeons (sort of like Ultima and Omega Weapon from FFX).

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I'd rather them just make 1 super duper superboss, really. Since, most boss fights in Zelda are quite easy, really; you figure out what to do, and repeat, and usually it all centres around that one item you got during the dungeon. I'd love to see a boss where you have to use almost every item at your disposal, and really pushes you, so I think it'd be great. As long as it's optional since I don't see the generic Zelda player really doing well up against something like that, but it'd be nice to have that. Maybe have the boss fight be a lot less linear too, as in he won't just repeat the same attacks and then you don't do that 1 thing to make him reveal that 1 weakspot.

So, could be done, and I'd like to see it done really.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
I think this is an amazing idea.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think about this is "They won't be specific to any one dungeon!!" Most dungeon bosses are designed to be puzzle bosses that force you to utilize whatever item you got in the dungeon. Final bosses tend to be dramatic sword duels, just because it's more epic that way. But a boss with a high about of HP and not meant to be defeated by one item would be be able to have a ton of different methods of defeat using any and all of the items that you get throughout the game. This is why I liked the Ganon fight in OoT . . . you were forced to use any and all of the items you get through the game, and it made it really interesting, in contrast to the rest of the game where your items are more suited to exploration than combat. If there could be superbosses that you can do this with that are also really ultra difficult to beat, that would be awesome.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I would actually love it if Zelda had something like this. I have mentioned before that Pokemon Emerald is one of my favourite games, and part of the reason for that is because you can fight Steven after you beat the Champion. The post-credits boss is harder than the Final boss, and I think it could totally work with Zelda. None of the Final Bosses are truly all that hard, so it would be nice to have something that actually provides a lot of challenge, simply as an epic way to end the game!

Of course, in order to do that, Zelda would have to have some other after game quests, because returning after the credits just to fight a boss really would not make much sense.

Yes. I think that it would be neat if the series included three or more superbosses that are far more powerful than the final boss. However, I'd prefer for there to be different ways to reach each one, so as to avoid predictability. Happening upon a superboss at random would even be neat, prompting one to want enhance one's skills in order to defeat it (assuming you weren't able to defeat the first time around).

It'd also be neat if each superboss battle functioned like a puzzle in which one would have to think and come up with strategies as to how to defeat it. I've always felt like the series could use a less straightforward approach to its bosses anyway. I can't speak for everyone else, but I would also like to die several times before actually figuring out how to defeat a given superboss.

While dying dozens of times in attempt to defeat/ comeplete something can be a drag at first, it often becomes an amazingly rewarding feeling of accomplishment in retrospect. (Yiazmat, I hate to have loved to hate you so much... ;j)

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
It's a great idea for Zelda.

As you've pointed out, most of Zelda bosses are transparent and easily dealt with, but these super bosses could balance that out by offering a high difficulty boss that you wouldn't be required to fight. That way you could keep the main quest easy for Nintendo's casual gamer audience and still offer some difficulty for hardcore gamers.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think this could work in a specific way but I wouldn't make it optional...

Like, say the final boss for example whichever Demise's reincarnation is... takes the form of all the bosses throughout the game. Like one per battle phase... Then when Link defeats all of these phases (shorter than original boss fights obviously, because they would be phantoms), you would have to take on the real final boss and their power. I think this would be a lot better than the usual Ganondorf/Ganon transformation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom