• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
As far as speculation for the new characters is concerned, Banjo and Kazooie were by far the most popular votes in western Countries, but I'm backing in Midna & Wolf Link to join the cast mainly. The Amiibo is reported to work in SSB and it would be practically free advertising for TPHD.

B&K, Shovel Knight and Rayman are my other guesses since Cloud threw the guessing game wide open.

My predictions (aside from what we already know):

Characters:

Banjo Kazooie
Wolf
King K. Roll
Isaac
Inkling

Stages:

Venom (Melee)
Corneria (Wii U only since already in 3DS)
Great Bay (Melee)
Splatoon Stage
Banjo Kazooie Stage
Golden Sun Stage

Perhaps I'm expecting too much. I should still be satisfied regardless.

Well, my predictions were completely wrong lol

Corrin and Bayonetta are solid additions to Smash Bros. I know there were a lot of Chrom supporters still out there, but it makes more sense to advertise Fire Emblem: Fates before its release date in the West. Corrin also seems to add an extra flair to traditional sword fighters with his dragon based techniques. Bayonetta, on the other hand, shocked me as the ballot winner. I simply didn't think she would be so popular, particularly in Europe; Nintendo has traditionally performed weaker than in Japan and North America. That said, I believe she's an extremely fitting character inclusion as Platinum Games has developed several solid action titles on Nintendo platforms over the past few years from Madworld to The Wonderful 101 to Bayonetta 2. It's even more fitting for Bayonetta to be in Smash, since Bayonetta 2 could only have been published had Nintendo stepped in. Great to see her with the Umbra Clock Tower stage to boot.

As expected, the Cloud DLC is releasing today with the Cloud character, Midgar stage, and several Mii costumes. I expected there to be some technical cutbacks on the 3DS version of Midgar, but it seems Sakurai and company managed to pull it off. As with Chrom, there are quite a bit of Geno supporters too, but I think many fans will be pleased with the Mii costume nod, as Sakurai was not particularly warm to Geno's character in the past.

Lastly, I have to give props to the team responsible for assembling the Nintendo Direct footage for the fitting conclusion showcasing all of the game's 58 characters It's truly been an amazing ride on the Smash 4 hype train.

I am gutted that Wolf will not be returning to Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, however today's announcements have blown my mind. I had no idea that Bayonetta was that popular, especially in Europe. And to be number 1 worldwide, that quite impressive considering that there was momentum for characters like Banjo-Kazooie or Shante to be playable.

As for Corrin, he/she is a fitting character not only for promoting Fire Emblem Fates, but also a good way to celebrate Fire Emblem's 25th Anniversary, which would make some sense considering how many Fire Emblem Characters are in smash. I definitely look forward to playing as the 3 new characters between now and February.

No Wolf is a disappointment but I think the delay of Star Fox Zero caused that and because Sakural loves his sword using SSB characters. Why have a different character based on Fox when you can have even more Marth and Ike clones? Well that's Sakurai's thinking anyway. I can handle this though.

Also no Shovel Knight in the game is a shame. He would seem perfect for the game. There's even an amiibo for the character. I guess he was not really popular enough. Only one character made it from the Smash Ballot anyway, Bayonetta. No.1 in Europe and top 5 in NA. I'd like to know who had more votes in NA though.

What we got today though is very solid. No complaints from me though. I can see some players and tournaments banning the combo characters like Ryu and Bayonetta though. That style of play does feel a little anti Smash.

Once I am done with XCX I will look forwars to playing more SSB4. Not the single player garbage though. But the multiplayer, VS the AI and other people. That's the fun part of the game. I even stopped caring about the SSB4 trophies. I am disappointed about this fact, but many of them are gated behind the completion of these garbage single player modes. Single player modes that do not reward the player with fun, no matter what their skill level is, like the multiplayer does. Smash Bros 4 in my opinion is the worst Smash game ever. The 64 game is a lot less of a game but it was good on the 64. SSB4 is not bad, it's a good game and worth playing, just the worst in the series. This is because the first 3 games were so damn good that SSB4 had to be just as amazing to be on par and it was not. SSB4 was just good. And good is less than the amazing SSB 1, 2 and 3.

The direct video though was very good. The Smash 4 fans should be very happy with SSB4's run. I am even though I'm not a SSB4 fan. I was a Melee and Brawl fan though. At least now we know when the SSB4 Amiibo madness will end :)

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
This Direct has been a bit of a mixed bag for me. On the one hand, Corrin is by far the lamest DLC choice (do we really need yet another FE rep in Smash?) but his playstyle looks fantastic. I'm really interested in trying him out.

And while I'm disappointed that Shovel Knight or Shantae didn't make the cut, I'm ridiculously pleased that Bayonetta is in, doubly so that she was the Ballot winner. First in Europe and top five in America? Yespls. The way she handles is a love letter to how she handles in her own games, right down to the butterflies when she lands. I'm super excited to make her into a main.

Also no Shovel Knight in the game is a shame. He would seem perfect for the game. There's even an amiibo for the character. I guess he was not really popular enough. Only one character made it from the Smash Ballot anyway, Bayonetta. No.1 in Europe and top 5 in NA. I'd like to know who had more votes in NA though..

I like to imagine that it was something like Goku, Shrek, Dunsparce, some random character that 4chan tried to vote in to piss off the internet and then somewhere in there was Bayonetta. But in all seriousness, there was a pretty big campaign for Shovel Knight, Shantae and Banjo Kazooie to get them in. I'm surprised they didn't mention them at all or at least make them into costumes for the Mii Fighters like they did for Geno.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
No Wolf is a disappointment but I think the delay of Star Fox Zero caused that and because Sakural loves his sword using SSB characters. Why have a different character based on Fox when you can have even more Marth and Ike clones? Well that's Sakurai's thinking anyway. I can handle this though.

Also no Shovel Knight in the game is a shame. He would seem perfect for the game. There's even an amiibo for the character. I guess he was not really popular enough. Only one character made it from the Smash Ballot anyway, Bayonetta. No.1 in Europe and top 5 in NA. I'd like to know who had more votes in NA though.

What we got today though is very solid. No complaints from me though. I can see some players and tournaments banning the combo characters like Ryu and Bayonetta though. That style of play does feel a little anti Smash.

The direct video though was very good. The Smash 4 fans should be very happy with SSB4's run. I am even though I'm not a SSB4 fan. I was a Melee and Brawl fan though. At least now we know when the SSB4 Amiibo madness will end :)
Quite the contrary.
Competitive Smashers love combo based characters. That just means they are more likely to be more used than other characters.... Melee fans are going to love Bayonetta as well. So it is good that Sakurai gave them a character that considers their playstyle.

I have to say though... Corrin is very far from being a clone, just so much as Robin isn't a Clone.

I love playing as cloud too. He is amazing, and he very much is not a clone either. I would say he feels closest to Ganondorf of all the cast, except he has more options in pressure and in neutral game. I think Cloud might actually be my main he feels so good.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Once I am done with XCX I will look forwars to playing more SSB4. Not the single player garbage though. But the multiplayer, VS the AI and other people. That's the fun part of the game. I even stopped caring about the SSB4 trophies. I am disappointed about this fact, but many of them are gated behind the completion of these garbage single player modes. Single player modes that do not reward the player with fun, no matter what their skill level is, like the multiplayer does. Smash Bros 4 in my opinion is the worst Smash game ever. The 64 game is a lot less of a game but it was good on the 64. SSB4 is not bad, it's a good game and worth playing, just the worst in the series. This is because the first 3 games were so damn good that SSB4 had to be just as amazing to be on par and it was not. SSB4 was just good. And good is less than the amazing SSB 1, 2 and 3.
i love everything about this statement

I can definitely understand the sentiment in being disappointed in Smash 4's lack of single player options and changing certain modes, like Classic, for the worse, but the game definitely has the best multiplayer options the series has offered. In that sense, I think it's the true successor to Smash 64. It strips down the single player offerings in favor of simply smashing together with people, either in the same room or online. Despite the less enticing single player as compared to Melee and Brawl, I've still had a lot of fun with Master and Crazy Orders as well as Event Mode. Also, the 3DS version scratches that Melee Adventure Mode itch with Smash Run.

I can definitely understand the sentiment in being disappointed in Smash 4's lack of single player options and changing certain modes, like Classic, for the worse, but the game definitely has the best multiplayer options the series has offered. In that sense, I think it's the true successor to Smash 64. It strips down the single player offerings in favor of simply smashing together with people, either in the same room or online. Despite the less enticing single player as compared to Melee and Brawl, I've still had a lot of fun with Master and Crazy Orders as well as Event Mode. Also, the 3DS version scratches that Melee Adventure Mode itch with Smash Run.
SSB4 does not strip tdown the single player modes. SSB4 removes all the fun out fo the single player modes. I agree with you that it's a great successor to SSB64. SSB64's single player mode though was great so it beats SSB4 in that respect. But if you can handle that multiplayer matches seem to not las as long anymore in SSB4, you can have tons of fun there. I know I do. In a way this is just like Splatoon. Great multiplayer and very average single player.

Master/crazy orders are the highlight of the single player though. The event matches, though not up to Melee's amazing standard are alright as well. The rest I hated.

Can't wait for Smash NX.
I can. I want a SSB game that knows what it is. It should be amazing like Melee or be just like SSB4 (with all of the single player modes removed). Ie focus on getting things in game good. Not just have modes in game developed badly just because those modes have to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom