• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stumbling Upon Dungeons.

This sort of thing is begging to be added into a Zelda game. I think if Nintendo's Zelda team got together with Bethesda's Elder Scrolls team, they'd make a kickass game, although Bethesda might make it too RPG-ey for some players, I love RPGs and would welcome it happily.

Kungfuyu24

Metanna! Nurunna!
I have a confession to make. It was only about halfway through Arbiter's Grounds that I realized I was in a dungeon the whole time. With Midna pointing out the giant temple above the grounds, I thought I was just going through the place just to get to that dungeon.

I think some people had the same confusion with Snowpeak Ruins.

I would like the mixture of ancient temples/palaces and overworld passages to dungeons like it was portrayed in the first Zelda.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Umm, let me think. Yes.

I would love to have dungeons like in the original LoZ that you were never explicitly told to go to like in TP or ST. That's a big part of what made the original NES game so awesome (the exploration in general, not just the stumbling upon dungeons). If they did this in SS, I would literally eat my Minish Cap.

Not only does that add to the exploration value, it also gives a reason to check absolutely everywhere you go and that gives you reason to want to walk all over the overworld. This would easily put SS near the top of my top five Zelda games list, even though I don't really have one at the moment (I'm reevaluating my rankings, sue me).

So, in summary, that would be the single greatest thing (besides beefing up the difficulty of the game and WM+) that Shiggy and Aonuma could incorperate into SS.

Eskhandar

or khan he?
There should be plenty of secret optional dungeons. But if the main dungeons were just stumbled upon I don't see how the storyline could be too detailed if we could just walk into some random spot and conquer it.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
^Nintendo has already said that SS is less story-oriented than past Zelda games. This could make the stumble-upon-dungeon concept more possible like you said. Maybe all of Hyrule is "unlocked" from the get-go and the player is free to find the dungeons in any order he wishes like in the original, that wouldn't be possible if the storyline is forcing you down a set path. The lack of story is disappointing but I think it also opens up potential for Nintendo to bring exploration back to the series. More exploration would make up for the lack of story, IMO.

Eskhandar

or khan he?
What, where did they say that?
Dammit, a little emphasis on the story seems like such a let down for me.

Linebeck1000

Legendary Captain
Eiji Aonuma said it at the E3 roundtable.

http://kotaku.com/5564576/live-from-nintendos-e3-briefing EDIT: It should work this time...

Scroll down, its right above the picture of the tree in the demo.
I believe his exact quote went something like, "Past Zelda titles have focused on story or dungeons, Skyward Sword will focus simply on fun". I just hope its as "fun" as he says it is =/.

I'll admit though that my expectations aren't very high for this game, was just trying to look at the bright side of things with my last post.

Last edited:

Eskhandar

or khan he?
I'm hoping that he's focusing on the fun by actually increasing it rather than making it focused by reducing the other elements...

If it was possible to think of 'fun' as an amount!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom