• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stuff You Think They Should Add for Zelda on 3DS and Wii U

Skyward Sword added a few new gameplay features, most notably upgrades and the stamina meter. Still, I'm thinking that there are some things they can still experiment with in the future. Tell me, look at other video games and what features do you think they should add in future Zelda games?

My personal pick, changes in weather. I don't mean raining like in Ocarina of Time, I mean like the seasons in Pokemon Black and White. When the seasons change, so does the weather. And when it does, the area changes as well. When its Summer, the lake dries up a bit; when its Winter, snow piles up and you can reach areas you couldn't reach before, and so on.

This might be more executable on the handhelds.

-KingJason

Superficies Rex
That sounds like a good idea, I can't really find anything they should add, maybe upgrades to the stamina meter or something, that was a bit tidious.

An item that lets you go back and forward in time, a scattershot bow, Dark arrows, and a sheikah stone that sends you to different worlds such as the silent realm, the twilight realm, and others.

I would just love to see another great game from Nintendo. I don't really have anything specific they should add, as long as it's great.

I don't know about new stuff, but I think they should bring back the zooming aim for the Bow and Arrows. That was pretty fun to use in TP.
Maybe set up a multiple weapon type system, like in Castlevania: Curse of Darkness. Master Sword being your goal, of course, but having options like that would be cool.

it would be nice if the graphic would be in hd (wii u).. in the game in general i love the starmina meter is more realistic.

Just so you know, the season thing was already done in Oracle of Seasons. They used all of the things you came up with for puzzles, and it's a really fun game. If I had to pick something, it would probably be more uses for motion controls, because I loved SS's motion controls.

H3roOfTime

Hero of Time
masks... that would be so cool! and different tunics, the hammer, and more use of a musical instrument like OoT

zombiegamer723

The Hylian Zombie
To expand upon your point, I want to see the weather play a bigger role in the gameplay. Similar to how Link changed the seasons in Oracle of Seasons, I want certain areas/dungeons require different weather conditions in order to navigate. I just think that it would be a unique feature with a ton of potential.

Also, I want more unique dungeon themes. Not just "Fire Temple" or "Water Temple". Stuff like the Snowpeak Mansion in TP, or the pirate ship in Skyward Sword. One thing I loved about Skyward Sword is that, most of the dungeons did not have an actual "theme" like water, fire, etc.

MW7

I want to see a cel-shaded Epona. In other words I want Nintendo to finally make a cel-shaded game with a traditional method of transport (i.e. not a boat, train, or bird).

I hope the overworld is one connected piece (or maybe like AOL in which it's two big islands), but nothing like Twilight Princess's in which it was large area connected to stone hallway connected to large area repeated. I want the areas of the game to flow from one to another like in Majora's Mask how Termina Field goes from grass to dirt to sand to snow all in one area. The overworld doesn't have to be big but just lead to diverse areas as well as be open for exploration.

I'd like to see a wide range of dungeon ideas while implementing the unique themes like zombiegamer723 mentioned. I loved those dungeons. One idea I have is to have a true labyrinth as a dungeon. I'd set it up like the lantern caves from Twilight Princess and it would have branching paths. It would be easy to get lost in and it would feel like a maze. Maybe they could use the touch screen (either system) to require you to fill out the map so that you can eventually find your way. I wouldn't mind every dungeon having it's own unique twist or gimmick like how the Goron Mines in TP required you to piece together the boss key.

Norm

God-King of Teh Intarwebz
Clearly in ur tube, blockin ur internets.
I think they should add a sword meter, since it's unrealistic that Link could slash his sword into an enemies shield or accidentally hit his sword into a wall as often as he does without his sword breaking.

Return of magic meter, complete with spells, elemental arrows and rods. Also, I'd love a true RPG. MM (and SS to a much lesser extent), came close, but I want a full immersion, I want to make choices that affect the plot and whatnot.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I want to see a cel-shaded Epona. In other words I want Nintendo to finally make a cel-shaded game with a traditional method of transport (i.e. not a boat, train, or bird).

I hope the overworld is one connected piece (or maybe like AOL in which it's two big islands), but nothing like Twilight Princess's in which it was large area connected to stone hallway connected to large area repeated. I want the areas of the game to flow from one to another like in Majora's Mask how Termina Field goes from grass to dirt to sand to snow all in one area. The overworld doesn't have to be big but just lead to diverse areas as well as be open for exploration.

I'd like to see a wide range of dungeon ideas while implementing the unique themes like zombiegamer723 mentioned. I loved those dungeons. One idea I have is to have a true labyrinth as a dungeon.
This so much. Traditional method of transportation is a huge plus. Connected overworld is a huge plus (could be like OoT or MM, I don't care just don't give me Skyward Sword's), and a bunch of thematic, wide ranging dungeons is a huge plus.

Return of magic meter, complete with spells, elemental arrows and rods. Also, I'd love a true RPG. MM (and SS to a much lesser extent), came close, but I want a full immersion, I want to make choices that affect the plot and whatnot.
And this so much.

To contribute to the thread, I think minor things that should be added to both Zelda 3DS and Wii U are:
  • Return of the Magic Meter
  • An upgrade of the Upgrade system featured in SS
  • Return of the Mirror Shield
  • Elemental Arrows
  • Epona

Some major things I think should be added to 3DS and Wii U:
  • Elemental Effects + Extra Potions – Link needs to be able to be frozen, burned, electrocuted and so on. He needs to be able to do likewise to enemies with his elemental arrows. And for pete's sake, we need extra potions in the game beyond health, stamina and breath. Return the Blue and Green potions, because they were actually useful. Return Chateau Romani, because it was DEFINITELY WITHOUT A DOUBT USEFUL (infintie Magic, tell me that is useless). Return it all, because it played a part somewhere in the game.
  • Return to Skippable Cutscenes On First View – Skipping cutscenes is pretty much the norm in this day and age; we bought the game so we shouldn't be forced to view the cutscenes – most of us bought the game for the gameplay and not the story. So, do what you didn't do with SS: make all cutscenes skippable by default a la Twilight Princess. It isn't that hard.
  • Cinematic Actions/Reaction Commands – cutscenes now have meaning in that if you do a certain action within a timeframe, you get positive effects in the coming battle (such as an upper hand), if you fail to do that action then you get negative effects (such as losing a heart or two because of damage). Actually, these could be implemented into standard gameplay as well. Instead of the basic "back and A" to do a backflip, enemies could startup an attack at which point a button [3DS and Wii U] or a motion [Wii U] would flash onscreen and Link could dodge said attack for the upper hand. Or of course, he could do the regular shield method assuming he has one in the first place.
  • Final Boss Who Isn't A Chump Or Overshadowed – Frankly, I want another OoT Ganondorf. Y'know, a main villain/final boss that isn't so incredibly weak and is integral to the plot at all moments of the game. I don't want the final boss to be revealed at the end of the game and also DESTROYED AT THE END OF THE GAME. That is what ruined Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword for me.
  • Nonlinearity – I think this is something that seriously needs to be considered. Dungeons should have multiple ways to beat them, so that we can endeavour on different ways to be the game. Remember the days of LoZ, ALttP and OoT where we could do reverse order runs? Well, that seriously needs to return because it adds so much replayability and shows that the devs actually care.
  • Three Hearts At The Start + CHALLENGE – Really this is just a small nitpick, but I didn't like how we start off with 6 hearts at the start of Skyward Sword. It was too different just because the devs didn't want to put in the extra 12 heart pieces/3 heart medals. Stemming from that, recent Zelda games have lacked challenge for me. Things just felt too easy, be it because of enemy AI or maybe I just catch on a bit quick. My point is, Nintendo needs to make some super enemies, examples being Mysterious Figure from Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Xemnas from Kingdom Hearts 1 Final Mix, Omega Mark XII/ Yiazmat from Final Fantasy XII and I expect Omega from Final Fantasy XIII-2.
  • Post Game Content – To add onto nonlinearity, we also need post game content. You know when you beat the final boss, but you just get sent back to the last dungeon/area before the final boss? That needs to change. No, I don't mean a "second quest" or "hero mode" (though 2nd quest/ Master Quest is definitely welcome in addition to post game content). I'm talking about entirely optional, truly challenging dungeons/areas that open up after you beat the final boss. Anyone play Star Ocean: Til the End of Time? Remember Sphere 211, what with Lenneth, Super Blair and Iseria? Maze of Tribulations with Gabriel Celesta? How about SO4, with Wandering Dungeon and EQ or thatonedungeoniforget Cave of Seven Stars with Gabriel Celeste? That needs to happen in Zelda. Nintendo is fully capable of it, and with the Wii U disk space I know that for a fact because Final Fantasy XIII-2 is on the PS3 and Blu-Ray Discs hold 25GB apiece if I'm not mistaken (if I am, it's probably 30gigs).
  • Return to Traditional Controls [Wii U, not necessary but would be liked] – Motion Controls for SS have had reception along the lines of "mixed", in that some liked and some didn't. I myself loved SS' controls, but they felt like a restriction. I don't know how it makes sense, we're given free reign over the sword whereas past games only had basic sword strikes, but something in my mind clicks. Anyway, I want the traditional button masher controls to come back. I know what you're all saying, "OMGWTFBBQ IS YOUR PROBLEM, SS CONTROLS WERE SPOT ON WHY DITCH THEM THEY'VE ONLY BEEN IN ONE GAME" as well as "STFU, 3DS CAN HAVE TRADITIONAL CONTROLS". Well, I see your point. Dem controls were great, why throw them away? Nintendo pretty much already said that the controls of SS are here to stay. But I just can't help but feel that they messed up my experience, as much as I love them. I dunno.

Overall, some serious improvements to the Zelda games need to happen with Zelda 3DS and Zelda Wii U. I know Nintendo can make a massive Zelda release for the Wii U. After all, they made LoZ, Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker and Skyward Sword did they not?

Last edited:
H

haleyofhyrule

I kind of want to see more realistic graphics like twilight princess. and no more stamina meter...

Some gyro controls...just like Ocarina of Tme 3D
But I'd love to see that on the WiiU controller...that would make the game both motion and dinamic

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom