• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stuff Concerning the Placement of OoX and LA

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Well, the title of this thread is pretty self explanatory.

Last night, after beating both LA and OoX games, I started to think about something:

Okay, so, it is common knowledge to all theorists(or it should be :dry:) that LA was, in the first place, intended to be a direct sequel to ALttP.
This is fundamented by lots of in game hints, Koholint Geography, some enemies, etc, including the final boss.
Everything is supposed to be a "dream version" of ALttP.
Yet, there is one character that never appeared in ALttP and appears in OoX that makes an appearance early in LA.
The Moblin King.
Yes, the same one that in OoA steals the bomb flowers, wich also appears in OoS.
His first appearance is in LA, so, how could Link dream of someone he never met?
Okay, it's a dream, and there are lots of characters that are different from everyother ones, but, this one specifically, appears in OoX.
Is this a hint, maybe?

That is pretty interesting. But I'm gonna have to disagree. There's a lot of stuff that people have came up with to try and place OoX before LA, and some of it is good, some is pretty lame. This example is pretty good, and would work, considering Link dreams of the enemies he encountered in the "past" in LA.

However, the strongest point that I always argue when the placement of these games is brought up is the fact that OoX (both) were built with all of the graphics from LA at the developer's disposal. That means that they could use any enemy, any boss, pretty much any sprite that they needed. It is clear that they made use of their large supply of already made graphics for their games, as well as made a lot of new enemies and bosses as well. Like in OoS, you will see a lot of bosses that are reminiscent of the original LoZ. There are even some levels, such as the Gnarled Root Dungeon, that are almost identical to the first dungeon in LoZ. I heard somewhere that originally, the plans were to remake LoZ for the GBC, so this would be a perfect reason for all of these classic bosses and similar locations in OoS. But again, the majority of their sprites come from LA because they were made with the same graphics, same engine basically, and it would have been useless for the team to go back and remake sprites of creatures that were already made.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
Yes, they were planning on a LoZ remake for the GBC, like they did with a bunch of NES games.
Anyways, yes, the engine was LA's engine slightly altered, so, that's probably why.
As a fact in the rest of the whole game, the only thing that reminds me of OoX is an animal in the animal village that looks like a small Moosh, but it is probably just a coincidence, and, not a strong evidence.
The strongest evidence would probably be the Moblin King, but, as you said and I agree, it can be kinda disproved with the engine argument.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
There are also Goombas in LA. As I've told people many times, you can't base a timeline placement in a game that is a dream on enemies. If that was the case, the timeline would be:

A Link to the Past-> Super Mario Brothers -> OoS/OoA->Link's Awakening.

There are also Goombas in LA. As I've told people many times, you can't base a timeline placement in a game that is a dream on enemies. If that was the case, the timeline would be:

A Link to the Past-> Super Mario Brothers -> OoS/OoA->Link's Awakening.

You can to a certain extent. LA has other stuff, like telephones, that don't make sense in the world of Zelda (at least for that point of time), Goombas and Paranah Plants. These types of things can show up just because it is a dream, and Nintendo can literally put anything they want in there and make it okay. But a lot of the enemies can largely be based on Link's experiences from ALttP. Most of the enemies are rehashed from that game, as well as bosses, because the dream is not only the Windfish's, but it is Link's as well. These are his "nightmares".

Another thing to point out is that the Moblin King actually is like Ganon himself. Ganon originally was designed to look just like a big ole moblin. He was essentially, the King of the Moblins. So it could be that Link sees the Moblin King in LA because he is relating it somewhat to Ganon, then later on an actual Moblin King exists in another country. Its not that far fetched. In Zelda, there is usually a hierarchy over the smaller groups of creatures.

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
I never thought of that, but it really makes sense.
I think that, over the time Nintendo kinda killed the idea of Ganon being the king of the moblins.
Just keep in mind, everyone, that I actually don't believe that OoX are before LA, yet, I gave the idea a thought.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
I really count the day the game was released as evidence that OOX is LA's prequel. Considering how OOX is a sequel to a game means that it has to follow at least ALttp's story. It just doesn't make sense as a sequel to anything but Alttp or LOZ.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
You can to a certain extent. LA has other stuff, like telephones, that don't make sense in the world of Zelda (at least for that point of time), Goombas and Paranah Plants. These types of things can show up just because it is a dream, and Nintendo can literally put anything they want in there and make it okay.

Why shouldn't telephones "make sense", and in fact, what is "sense" in terms of Hylian technological advancement?

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask have cameras.
Twilight Princess has electromagnets.
Both TP and MC have floating cities.

There is no sensible level of technological advancement.

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
Why shouldn't telephones "make sense", and in fact, what is "sense" in terms of Hylian technological advancement?

Wind Waker and Majora's Mask have cameras.
Twilight Princess has electromagnets.
Both TP and MC have floating cities.

1. The cameras are very old fashion from appearances and they seem to all take pictures in only black and white unless powered by a magic firefly.

2. That is most likely from the mines themselves, who says that minerals cannot be electromagnetical.

3. Most likely made by magic.

Erimgard

Even Ganon loves cookies
1. The cameras are very old fashion from appearances and they seem to all take pictures in only black and white unless powered by a magic firefly.

Black and white camers are still VERY recent technology on the vast scales.

2. That is most likely from the mines themselves, who says that minerals cannot be electromagnetical.
They are connected to pipes that go into the earth. Implied geothermal energy.

3. Most likely made by magic.
Except for the propellors.

Yet, there is one character that never appeared in ALttP and appears in OoX that makes an appearance early in LA.
The Moblin King.
There's more than one. There's atleast 14 enemies that ONLY appear in OoX/LA. Blaino is an interesting one.
Considering how OOX is a sequel to a game means that it has to follow at least ALttp's story.
lolwut?

Anyways, basically every evidence that LttP/LA has, OoX/LA has more of the same literal evidence. But, seriously, literal evidence doesn't mean a whole lot. The biggest thing to me is that the game that matches the LA backstory just as well as LttP, contains more references and similarities than LttP, also contains an ending which continues perfectly into LAs opening.

That to me shows what Capcom's intent with OoX was. Whether that's Nintendo's intent or not, OoX contains so many similarities and works so perfectly into LA (apart from the original intent such as AST which came out before OoX) it can't be a coincidence.
The strongest evidence would probably be the Moblin King, but, as you said and I agree, it can be kinda disproved with the engine argument.
The 2 Moblin Kings look different. Blaino is the exact same, like the other 13 exclusive enemies.
As a fact in the rest of the whole game, the only thing that reminds me of OoX is an animal in the animal village that looks like a small Moosh, but it is probably just a coincidence, and, not a strong evidence.
OoX/LA DOES contain more similarities than LttP/LA. Whether they mean anything or not is up to what you believe matters, but there's no denying that OoX/LA contains more similarities than LttP/LA.

Telephones require electricity. Electricity had never been used in a Zelda game at that point. All things that would normally use electricity use magic. LA, being a dream, is not based on what technology is present in the series. That is why telephones do not make sense. At that point in time, when LA was the fourth only Zelda game out, the number of advancements in technology was practically none.

I suppose you could say that. But then again, when we look at the AT, it obviously gets more advanced with each game (WW to ST is pretty clear). The CT isn't so clear, at least what most people consider the CT. Twilight Princess had some advancements in technology, but they weren't major. The majority of the game stuck to the medieval setting with Zelda-like techs. You can't really argue the tech advancement when TP sets way back on the timeline, yet LoZ/AoL take place afterwards. Obviously, with each new game that comes out chronologically, Nintendo is going to imply newer things which include technological advancements. But I would be pretty sure that if a telephone was able to be created at the time of LA in the real Zelda world, then we would have seen Link with a cell phone in OoX.

Last edited:

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
There's more than one. There's atleast 14 enemies that ONLY appear in OoX/LA. Blaino is an interesting one.

Like it was recently stated, they were made with the same graphics engine so why remake sprites when they already have past sprites to use. This really didn't help disprove the theory of the characters just being rehashed.

Telephones require electricity. Electricity had never been used in a Zelda game at that point. All things that would normally use electricity use magic. LA, being a dream, is not based on what technology is present in the series. That is why telephones do not make sense. At that point in time, when LA was the fourth only Zelda game out, the number of advancements in technology was practically none.

I suppose you could say that. But then again, when we look at the AT, it obviously gets more advanced with each game (WW to ST is pretty clear). The AT isn't so clear, at least what most people consider the AT. Twilight Princess had some advancements in technology, but they weren't major. The majority of the game stuck to the medieval setting with Zelda-like techs. You can't really argue the tech advancement when TP sets way back on the timeline, yet LoZ/AoL take place afterwards. Obviously, with each new game that comes out chronologically, Nintendo is going to imply newer things which include technological advancements. But I would be pretty sure that if a telephone was able to be created at the time of LA in the real Zelda world, then we would have seen Link with a cell phone in OoX.

I just wanted to point out that you said AT in spots that I think you meant to say CT. :P

As for what I would like to contribute to this thread, when you first arrive on Koholint Island, the owl that talks to you when you get your sword tells you that the monsters have recently started becoming hostile (or something along those lines) and that he wants you to check it out. This implies that the monsters were there before Link was. This would mean that the monsters aren't from Link's memory but rather from the Wind Fish's memory.

I just wanted to point out that you said AT in spots that I think you meant to say CT. :P

Ahh yes, so I did o.o. I'll have to fix that.

As for what I would like to contribute to this thread, when you first arrive on Koholint Island, the owl that talks to you when you get your sword tells you that the monsters have recently started becoming hostile (or something along those lines) and that he wants you to check it out. This implies that the monsters were there before Link was. This would mean that the monsters aren't from Link's memory but rather from the Wind Fish's memory.

This is true, and something I have never considered. But one word sticks out there that I think still helps my idea, and that is the word "lately". This could possibly refer to the time during and after Link arrived, which would make sense. Upon Link entering the dream, his nightmares became one with the Windfish's, thus there were more of them, increasing hostility.

Also, I think it is obviously the Nightmare boss at the end who was doing most of the work. But as for the Moblins and Zoras and things like that, I believe they could have been smaller Nightmares of another form, but took the form of things that Link was most familiar with and most likely afraid of, just as the main Nightmare boss does this by transforming into forms of Moldorm, Agahnim, and Ganon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom