• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens Megathread (for news related discussions)

Cfrock

Keep it strong
That incessantly whined and complained about what he was doing to HIS story.

There is an excellent and fascinating documentary called The People vs. George Lucas which attempts to explore both sides of the debate regarding the prequels and special editions. On the one side it has this view point, that the films are his and he can do what he likes with them. On the other side is the view that Star Wars belongs to our collective culture and has grown beyond Lucas' ownership.

I feel the documentary does give a very balanced argument for both sides and the film honestly made me reconsider how much I vilified Lucas for the prequels and special editions. I can't say I like them, but The People vs. George Lucas made me appreciate the wider picture and see both sides of the debate as equally valid.

I would recommend it. You might find it interesting.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
It is talk like this, that "the prequels suck" or "Star Wars was ruined" that brought about this. Lucas sold his company because of people like that. That incessantly whined and complained about what he was doing to HIS story. Wouldn't you feel all depressed and want to just quit when everyone else was acting severely immature and cruel about your work that you put so much of yourself into? You would, admit it. You so would. The people complaining about the new Star Wars sequels have no one to blame but themselves. Their existence is a direct result of their constant complaining over nothing. It's their cruelty over the prequels and special editions that drove Lucas to handing over the keys.

I agree that there was a lot of unnecessary hate going towards Lucas but honestly I wondered if he had a bunch of people breathing down his neck to change things to appeal to a different demographic then Eps 4-6 was made for. My personal biggest hangup was the ship designs because you go from sleek and shiny in Eps 1-3, to the flat colored, rigid designs of the X-wings and what not, but thats due to my need for things to be uniform when catagorized together.

But its not limited to Eps1-6. There are also things like The Clone Wars- the animated series as well as, Lego Starwars. Honestly I liked The Clone Wars, I felt like that was a better portrayl of Anakin than in the movie. He was supposed to have the confused emotions and erratic behavior but with less angst. This is me going off how his character was referenced in the books from way back when.... and Ive learned over the years not to rank movies when the books came before them.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I agree that there was a lot of unnecessary hate going towards Lucas but honestly I wondered if he had a bunch of people breathing down his neck to change things to appeal to a different demographic then Eps 4-6 was made for. My personal biggest hangup was the ship designs because you go from sleek and shiny in Eps 1-3, to the flat colored, rigid designs of the X-wings and what not, but thats due to my need for things to be uniform when catagorized together.

But its not limited to Eps1-6. There are also things like The Clone Wars- the animated series as well as, Lego Starwars. Honestly I liked The Clone Wars, I felt like that was a better portrayl of Anakin than in the movie. He was supposed to have the confused emotions and erratic behavior but with less angst. This is me going off how his character was referenced in the books from way back when.... and Ive learned over the years not to rank movies when the books came before them.

That ship change is actually a common thing. Think about it. The sleek ships in the prequels were planetary ships made in peacetime. The ships later in the prequels, which were more mechanical, and those in the original trilogy, were military ships made for war. Looking pretty isn't a priority in war. Being easily repaired is, which means being more mechanical with accessible wiring instead of shiny covers.

Also, there's a thing artistic integrity. Forcing an artists to change their work to suit the public demand is generally wrong. There are exceptions of course when something is so bad that an artist is obviously intentionally trying to antagonize the fanbase (original Mass Effect 3 ending for example, which they admitted was intended to provoke just that reaction). But that wasn't the case with Lucas, he loved his work and was trying to realize his vision. I am against trying to force him to change it to fit people's whims in that situation. It was his story and he had the right to do what he wanted with it no matter what people thought of it.

GirlWithAFairy

Man... the ****???
That ship change is actually a common thing. Think about it. The sleek ships in the prequels were planetary ships made in peacetime. The ships later in the prequels, which were more mechanical, and those in the original trilogy, were military ships made for war. Looking pretty isn't a priority in war. Being easily repaired is, which means being more mechanical with accessible wiring instead of shiny covers.

Also, there's a thing artistic integrity. Forcing an artists to change their work to suit the public demand is generally wrong. There are exceptions of course when something is so bad that an artist is obviously intentionally trying to antagonize the fanbase (original Mass Effect 3 ending for example, which they admitted was intended to provoke just that reaction). But that wasn't the case with Lucas, he loved his work and was trying to realize his vision. I am against trying to force him to change it to fit people's whims in that situation. It was his story and he had the right to do what he wanted with it no matter what people thought of it.

I wasnt meaning the public was changing how his story should be, I was meaning the people backing the prequels financially and productivly. I wondered if they were influencing the way the films were done to fit the demographic.

And I can understand your view on the ships changing as far as the rebel ships looking flat and rigid but if you look at the war ships of the Imperial army, they had practically unlimited resources the ships and would have stayed pretty much the same over time other than upgrades but still you go from sleek and shiny to the designs of the TIE fighter and such.

Dan

Oh god no, This will most likely turn out like the prequels -.-

erm you aren't going to like when they reveal star wars episode 0.
Anyway my gut tells me this will most likely be a load of ol ****, but whatever let it comes, and I will embrace it with my love and kindness.

As a massive Star Wars nerd I am overly excited about this news. I've been awaiting an Episode VII for some time now and a decade will have passed since the release of Revenge of the Seth by the time this next film rolls around. Even though Disney had acquired the rights to the franchise I hope the series remains faithful to the post fall of the Empire material Lucas crafted himself.

Lucas once stated that a third trilogy was his intention all along. Although new people will be at the creative helms of this project his ambitions are finally realized. I'm curious what route this trilogy will take. Given the official post Episode VI events I'd argue a war story along the lines of the original story is more likely.

Antagonists I'd like to see explored in Episode VII:
  • Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Palpatine Reincarnated (Clone Body)
  • Yuuzhan Vong (likely more Episodes VIII and IX)

This is the perfect time to introduce the new Jedi order as well most prominently Anakin Solo.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
As a massive Star Wars nerd I am overly excited about this news. I've been awaiting an Episode VII for some time now and a decade will have passed since the release of Revenge of the Seth by the time this next film rolls around. Even though Disney had acquired the rights to the franchise I hope the series remains faithful to the post fall of the Empire material Lucas crafted himself.

Lucas once stated that a third trilogy was his intention all along. Although new people will be at the creative helms of this project his ambitions are finally realized. I'm curious what route this trilogy will take. Given the official post Episode VI events I'd argue a war story along the lines of the original story is more likely.

Antagonists I'd like to see explored in Episode VII:
  • Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Palpatine Reincarnated (Clone Body)
  • Yuuzhan Vong (likely more Episodes VIII and IX)

This is the perfect time to introduce the new Jedi order as well most prominently Anakin Solo.

I agree with your pick of antagonists but you forgot our beloved Darth Caedus!! :D

Jedizora

:right:
This could turn out good. Disney bought out marvel, and the avengers was still good. Maybe they will do a adaption of one of the EU books. I wouldn't mine seeing the Thrawn Trilogy on screen.
This is better for many reasons, I hope George Lucas steps down from directing a sequel.

He did. He is now a "Creative Consultant", which means people other then him can actually put in ideas. I wonder who the director will be?

It is talk like this, that "the prequels suck" or "Star Wars was ruined" that brought about this. Lucas sold his company because of people like that. That incessantly whined and complained about what he was doing to HIS story. Wouldn't you feel all depressed and want to just quit when everyone else was acting severely immature and cruel about your work that you put so much of yourself into? You would, admit it. You so would. The people complaining about the new Star Wars sequels have no one to blame but themselves. Their existence is a direct result of their constant complaining over nothing. It's their cruelty over the prequels and special editions that drove Lucas to handing over the keys.

People are still allowed to complain if "HIS story" ends up as two truly awful movies and one that's average at best.

Once again, Disney should give it to Pixar to write, they did start off as a division of Lucasfilm after all.

"The Avengers" was distributed by Disney too; it doesn't mean a thing as long as the right people actually make the film.

I heard some feedback from fellow Star Wars nerds about this announcement at school today and reception seemed to be generally negative. Although the massively popular The Avengers was produced by Marvel under Disney's wing, the general consensus appears to Disney is creating a monopoly in the industry. This opinion was especially vehemently expressed by a certain girl in my calculus class.

One distressing piece of news I spotted online, however, is rumor that the story for Episode VII will be "completely original". While Lucas may have been devolved to merely a Creative Consultant his ideas should provide the framework for the transition to a new group spearheading the series. All I ask if for a certain blue skinned admiral or lumpy faced Emperor to return along with Luke, Anakin Solo, andd family as well as a possible debut for his dangerous lover Mara Jade.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
While Lucas may have been devolved to merely a Creative Consultant his ideas should provide the framework for the transition to a new group spearheading the series.

Considering the prequels were the time Lucas was really allowed to use his ideas largely unchallenged, I wouldn't like him to have any serious input on any new Star War films in future. If new people are going to take a stab at the franchise, I'd prefer for it to be all their work. We've seen what Lucas can do (the good and the bad), may as well let someone else take the reins entirely, I say.

I still don't know how I feel about this news. Part of me is remembering the prequels and wishing Star Wars was just allowed to die as gracefully as possible while another part of me keeps saying "it's being done by new people who are competent film-makers wth new stories" and therefore won't be as bad. But then everything I hear of stories set after Return of the Jedi sounds awful to me and so I worry again.

I don't know, no matter how I feel about it, I am going to inevitably go and see it so maybe I should just stop thinking about it until then.

They can't ruin it more that Episode 1 did

I don't understand the hate for the prequels. They may not be the best movies or compare to the original trilogy in most peoples' minds, however, as action movies they are absolutely stellar. Think of the great lightsaber duels in the saga. You'll likely reminisce the duel against Darth Muel on Naboo, Yoda's bout against his former pupil, Count Dooku, Grevious's final stand, and the Mustafar battle to the death between Anakin and Obiwan.

Regarding Episode 1 specifically, I enjoyed the subtle characters cameos such as seeing Jaba the Hut prior to the podrace. Jar Jar Binks isn't as terrible as the critics paint him either. How important is he in the overall scheme of things? Very negligible. I wish the general audience would lack past these minor mishaps and see a solid whole.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Think of the great lightsaber duels in the saga. You'll likely reminisce the duel against Darth Muel on Naboo, Yoda's bout against his former pupil, Count Dooku, Grevious's final stand, and the Mustafar battle to the death between Anakin and Obiwan.

I think of all the long drawn out conversations of tax disputes and the flat angle talking scenes which make up like half of the films. Besides a few actions scenes the prequels are just boring and dull.

Also, I know it might seem like a stupid thing, but if you watch the Red Letter Media reviews they really do explain why people hate the prequels. All of those fights you used as examples are bad because they either have no tension, no drama or, in Yoda's case, straight up ruin the character to some degree.

Regarding Episode 1 specifically, I enjoyed the subtle characters cameos such as seeing Jaba the Hut prior to the podrace. Jar Jar Binks isn't as terrible as the critics paint him either. How important is he in the overall scheme of things? Very negligible. I wish the general audience would lack past these minor mishaps and see a solid whole.

Not trying to be a twonk but Jabba's cameo was hardly subtle. The film literally announces his arrival and there is a cheer from the crowd. It couldn't be any more 'Look! It's Jabba! Remember Jabba!" Him being there was totally pointless and only served to give them an excuse to make Jabba toys for the movie.

And if Jar Jar was very negligible, why was he not only in The Phantom Menace as much as he was, but also in both of the other prequels?

I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything but seriously, people hate the prequels for very legitimate reasons. Watch Red Letter Media. They explain it far better than I ever could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom