• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stamina Bar: Make or Break?

I honestly don't feel I can get behind this yet. Every thought I have of this, whether it starts good, or bad, seems to end up bad.

From one viewpoint, we've had all this freedom for the past 20 years, and taking away some of the freedom seems likes it's going to be frustrating in the end, when we can't do what we used to be able to do, as easily as we used to be able to do it. I don't know how quickly that bar regenerates itself, but if it takes too long, it just seems like we're going to be constantly stopping and starting, over and over.

Sure, it may make the game more challenging, but I see it also makes it a lot more frustrating too.

Mamfi1908

The New Guy
Stamina Bar!? oh man, then they might as well give you one chance to beat the game, and if u die once, you'll have to start the game all over again, that would be more realistic too wouldn't it?
I will still buy the game tho, cuz it still seems awesome.
it will be more realistic tho, but that's not necessarily a good thing, it's a fantasy game, there should be no stamina bar in my oppinion.

The stamina bar is a circle. Its a stamina circle. And it regenerates pretty fast.
You could never run super fast before so they aren't limiting you, they are adding on and limiting the add-on. Also, you can still roll, you just shake the Wii-mote when running with your sword in its scabbard.
Besides running, I think climbing up walls is the only other thing that takes stamina down. Sword fighting doesn't or anything else shown in the demo. If that's the case its just another way to make the game more interesting and challenging during wall climbing parts.
I'm gonna say it'll make it better.

I guess everyone has their own opinion about the game, but why is everyone freaking out over a little more challenge? Its like you guys hate challenges. Video games were made in the past to challenge yourself and have fun doing it. Adding challenge make the game take longer and you feel way more satisfactory after you've completed it. Longer game plus extra satisfaction? I call that a good thing.

Goro-Link

I am all of me.
I'm not sure how I feel about climbing depleting the stamina bar (maybe it won't be too tedious). Two questions, though:

1) Does anyone know for sure that climbing does deplete the stamina bar? The official gameplay trailer is ambiguous, but I could've missed something in some other demo recording.

2) If the stamina bar has been seen depleting while climbing, are we sure it does this for all climbing, or is it possible that climbing has two speeds, just as running does?

1. Yeah i read it in NGamer and they say that climbing does.

2. Unknown. sorry, NGamer wasn't very specific.

Austin

Austin
I dunno. I like the idea. It'd add a lot more challenge to the game and would lead to some interesting new challenges. I'd imagine that if they were going to put a limit on how much you can run and jump, they'd introduce some new mechanics that would involve physical activity, which sounds cool. If anything, it reminds me a bit of Shadow of the Colossus where you had a limited amount of time to hold onto something while climbing, and I found the challenge there pretty entertaining. I think we all need to give this a chance, just because we haven't seen it before doesn't meant that it'll be bad.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I think an area where it might apply to combat is if they decide to bring over the combo moves that were in TP. For combos, I imagine it would work similar to how Rogues pull off attacks with the Energy bar in WoW.
For those of you that aren't familiar, the Energy bar works like this:
Certain manoeuvers cost certain amounts of energy. Your energy is capped at 100 points. Ability A costs 60 Energy. If you use it, you'll only have 40 energy. You could either pull off a move that doesn't require as much energy, or wait for the bar to recharge. It recharges fairly quickly at a rate that is initially unmodified, although I imagine the Stamina Bar will have upgrades in some form that cause it to recharge faster. When you accumulate at least 60 Energy, you could pull off that same attack in WoW again.

I could see this adding an extra element of challenge, while potentially meaning the return of combo moves. I could see that being a place where this would be applicable.

Majora16

KOOLOO-LIMPAH!
I don't think it has the possibility to "make or break" the game since it's not really a major aspect of it. Personally, I don't mind it. It could possibly lead to some speed-related puzzles that we haven't seen in the past, and that would be really interesting to see. Plus, so what if they're limiting Link's ability to run? The way I see it, limited running is much better than no running at all. If it bothers you then just don't run. It's not like he HAS to run. Link can still outrun almost all enemies at his average walking pace anyways.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I think this is a very interesting aspect that they are adding. I look forward to seeing more about it.
Like Majora said, it's not major enough to make or break the game, but it could definitely add to the challenge factor. Plus, I see people saying how this will make climbing difficult, but haven't we only seen him climb up the edge of a cliff? Perhaps vines/ladders don't use up this stamina? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
At first, I pretty much reacted in a similar way Athenian did... I mean, we have had freedom for so long, and the meter itself seemed painfully similar in design to the life meter used in 3D Mario games... and that bothered me, the way it sort of hangs there near Link's head, it pulls you out of the experience a little.
But then, when I actually thought about how it's been implemented in other games, I realised it's actually a really great idea, and as people have said, should add a little bit more challenge to the mix... with it, there's so many little things Nintendo could add to the experience!

One possible application that no one's mentioned yet is what affect certain enemies could have on it. I mean, we've had enemies in the past such as Bubbles who slowly sap your magic... why not have Redeads that slowly sap your ability to escape?
I was playing a game the other day where something like this appeared (Mini Ninjas), where the ghost enemies slowly shortened the length of your stamina meter the longer you stayed within sapping-distance of them... so you ended up in a situation where by the time you realised you really needed to run away, or cast a spell before the enemies started sucking your life energy too, you increasingly found yourself unable to do so... and it created a real feeling of panic at times!

Anyway, the more I think about the stamina bar, the more I get excited about the possibilities... and judging by that, it means the stamina bar should be a good thing! XD
But as Majora16 said, I don't really think it could break the game. Make it, yes... but not completely break it XDD

Last edited:

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Well, I could see it pissing me off alot through the game but that's a good thing.
I mean we can't expect Link NOT to get tired in his heroics.
It will add realism and Challange.
But Link better Climb Faster. If it's like TP it''l break the game.
Other than that. I think it's an awsome Idea.

Danlo

Daniel
They adding this because there probably will be no form of transport ( No Epona, Trains, Boats etc.) But I don't really mind, I'm actually quite happy about it, I won't have to roll all the time to run faster

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I rather dislike the idea of a stamina bar. I prefered the system of jog style running, so it looks like Link is not being tired out, thus eliminating the need for a stamina bar.

This will probably take effect in water themed areas, which I dislike as I like the idea of stamina bar free swimming. :(
Running out of stamina and drowning/loosing a few hearts is not desirable.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
It's a good idea for the purpose of realism, but I don't want Nintendo going hog wild with it and making it tax on everything. It is extremely annoying when you have a huge Overworld and a stamina bar. I don't want it to take ten minutes of Walking just to get to a place, because of the Stamina bar. The good thing would be if it allowed you to jump higher and run faster then any of the other Zelda games.

One thing I do NOT want is it to affect Swimming. The Oxygen meter is fair, but it sucks having a meter when your just passing the time swimming around. A dash bar would work, but not a Stamina meter so you simply drown and it's game over.

This could make or break the game, it needs to be implemented right or it could turn out to be something very irritating in an otherwise great game.

Also Ignore my other post.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
I actually like the stamina bar. It adds a sense of realism to Link that he isn't a super-human. Here are some reasons the strength meter shows it's adding realism.

1. Link can run, but he can't forever, just like any person.

2. He can pick up giant boulders, but it starts to deplete, showing that he's gonna lose strength from holding it.

3. Link climbs vines and it goes down, sure, I would get tired eventually.

Also, a lot of you people are getting concerned about him climbing vines, but if you shake the remote, he kinda does a jump upward. So that will make him a heck lot faster than TP (SOOOOoo slow! >_< )

Heres Link climbing, and jumping upward the vines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uTh7YXMtw0
Jump to 2:30 to start seeing him jump upward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom