• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Stallord?

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
A discussion on Stallord? Oh, God yes! Well anyway, judging by the assumed age of his remains, bla bla bla, we can assume that he was a dragonic monster of origin, bla bla bla, and considering that he was in the desert, bla bla bla.

Ok, now really, judging by how ancient the bones looked, it must have been at least from the days of the OoT or before. There is a lot of speculation on whether or not he is really Volvagia. However, considering that their locations are very different, this is unlikely. I know that most people point out the difference in appearance, but I don't think this part matters, seeing as how many bosses and enemies appear very differently between games (look at how different Ghoma/s look, in LoZ it appears to be a large Tektite-like creature, in TP they were literally giant spiders with a single eye, in OoT they looked sort of like crabs to me, in WW it looks like a large centipede/scorpion-like monster, etc.). It is obviously the remains of some sort of dragon/dragon-like monster. I suppose that it can be Volvagia if you really want it to be. Or it could be an entirely different monster. In the end, there's only one conclusion: He's awesome.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Well we can't know for sure at this point, but here is are speculations:

I think that Stallord was Volvagia before he died, here comes my reasons. After you defeat Volvagia in Ocarina of Time he is turned into bones (and the scull especially looks very similar to the one of Stalord), their shapes are very similar (long body with two arms and a head with two horns) and they can both breath fire (or whatever it is that Stallord is breathing).

So how did Volvagias body get transported to the desert? I don't actually have an answer to that, but hey, it's Zelda we're talking about! Not everything needs to make sense!

See the similarities.
260px-Volvagia.png
350px-Stallordrender.png

I'm gonna have to say no on this one. One, Volvagia's horns come from a helmet she/he wears, whereas Stallord's horns are part of his head. Two, Stallord has fangs. Volvagia doesn't. And three, their bodies are highly disproportionate. Stallord has an enormous rib cage, while Volvagia's body is slender throughout. To add to that, their arms are different sizes, and Volvagia only has three claws while Stallord has five. This isn't a bad theory, but it's misguided.

Pen

The game is on!
I'm gonna have to say no on this one. One, Volvagia's horns come from a helmet she/he wears, whereas Stallord's horns are part of his head. Two, Stallord has fangs. Volvagia doesn't. And three, their bodies are highly disproportionate. Stallord has an enormous rib cage, while Volvagia's body is slender throughout. To add to that, their arms are different sizes, and Volvagia only has three claws while Stallord has five. This isn't a bad theory, but it's misguided.

The two come from two different games with two different designs, even if it was official that they were the same they would most likely not be identical anyway. But I guess it's a matter of opinion.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I think the arbiters grounds was used as some sort of gladiator arena, so Stallord would have been a big beast who had warriors or prisoners pitted against it. Kind of like in Attack of the clones where, Anakin, Obi-wan and Padme were sentenced to death by three beasts. Perhaps some of the minor prisoners would have had to fight like this and the really evil ones would have been sent into the twilight. Just an interesting thought.

I always assumed that it was a earlier evolution of a dodongo, like the skull we see in dodongo's cavern in ocarina of time

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User

Also the claws of Stallord are five per hand.
Given all the similarities and differences, I guess that it could be a combination of bones that may have had Volvagia's skull.

I don't believe Stallord is intended to be Volvagia (or King Dodongo, which is a similar theory.) The main problem with the theory is it's based purely on appearance and idea. Archetypes are not only recycled, but recycled often. Extremely often, even within the Zelda series. To me this is no different than claiming that Ghirahim is Vaati, which is a completely impossible and illogical connection that people still try to push purely because of visual similarities and character archetype. You simply can't do that. It's not a well-constructed theory; it's a complete assumption with basically no backing.

I'm not saying you can't make the connection. It works. But there's nothing actually suggesting it. I can't get behind a theory that's based purely on the fact that it could fit into the canonically confirmed story, when there's nothing that actually suggests it fits in.

That's like if you were trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle and managed to find a piece from a totally different puzzle that fit perfectly. Yeah it fits, but it's clearly not the right piece.

So you want to say it is not canon only because it is old? I have to disappoint you, this is canon.
He's saying there was never, ever any sort of plot connection between Volvagia's appearance in Adventure of Link and Ocarina of Time. For all intents and purposes they are fully unrelated. You can't connect the different Gohmas in the plot, either. It's the same phenomenon here. The different between Volvagia in OoT and Stallord in TP is the theory implies that not only are they the same creature, but a direct continuation of the same exact entity from one game to another.

That said, I disagree that there's too much difference to say they're the same, at least when purely discussing the designs, but you're definitely missing JJ's point there.

As for what Stallord is? He's a giant deceased monster. Basic archetype. Nothing more to it. Dub whatever you like in, but it's not canonical because there is no other canon with him.

Last edited:
M

MajorasWrath2.0

For all the people saying Stallord is simply Lord of the Stals, it was just a skeleton before Zant reanimates him by driving the sword in its head, so I think it had to be something before it died.
As for what I think it is, it might be the thing that killed off the Gerudo, though I have no evidence for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a beast sent by the Gods to punish the Gerudo for their thievish behavior, but eventually it was taken down and throw into the Arbiter’s Grounds as a means of use for the Death Sentence…..however once the Banishment to the Twilight Realm sentence took action he slowly died of starvation and fossilized. Well, that’s my guess anyways :silent:

Awesome Idea

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
First of all Volvagia exploded. His head turned into a Heart Container in OoT so I don't think Stallord is Volvagia. I personally think he was an evil monster from a long time ago who either terrorized the area (in this case Gerudo Valley) or was captured and used to do harm to the prisoners like in the case of a Gladiator like fight. If you look closely at Arbiter's Ground you see it looks like an old Arena. I think Stallord was used for fights so people could watch him killing prisoners. That's is what I can make of it but I see no resemblance between him and Volvagia

Dracoburn

Lance's Protégé
I go with the execution beast theory, where Stallord was once a creature used to execute people who were given the death penalty. The Arbitor's Grounds were, after all, a prison once.

I believe that prisoners were chained to the center of the giant podium and fed to Stallord who was, at the time, a living draconic beast. He'd either roast them, shred them, or eat them alive. But time passed, and the penalty was deemed barbaric, or the prison itself was shut down, so Stallord either starved to death or was executed for the safety of the public should he escape without supervision. I find the second option more likely, as seen by the swords stuck in his skull.

Either way, he eventually died and his flesh rotted away. The rest of his story, well, anyone who's played the game knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom