• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild [SPOILER] Zelda Breath of the Wild Weapon Discussion

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
I haven't got BOTW yet, but I've wanted to know about weapons for a while but the deeper I look the more questions I get and not finding many to answer them. So I figured I'd start a discussion here, so I can get some answered maybe, and watch others talk to gain even more information.

Can you craft weapons or do you have to hunt them all?

Are there any weapons or shields that never break? I assume Master Sword, anything else?

I saw a "Flame Spear" I think in a stream, but basically everything that guy used broke right away, he may have been using it for a while but how is the durability on the items, especially that spear. Is it an easy to get spear?

I saw lots of different bows, what makes them different and which do you think is the best you've used?

You find a lot of items and weapons lying around, and everything breaks after a while. The difference with the bows, as with everything else, is how much damage they do. They may also have better range, but I'm not sure... I haven't found enough that were different from each other to gauge that.

Early on if you're not careful you'll run out of weapons. I know I did. I spent about 20 minutes runnnig around for a weapon, found none and had to use a bounder to squash a bokoblin camp to get one of their clubs to start me off again.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The solution is git gud.

Just run to Hyrule Castle, loot whatever you can before you get one shot then backout. Finding weaponry isn't the problem; finding the space for it even after full upgrades from Hestu is. You can find all 900 korok seeds and spend them all on upgrades and you still won't have enough space.

Do I keep my Guardian Battle Axe++ or do I trade it for a Flameblade? so on and so forth.

ThePurpleKnight

ThePurpleKnightmare
The solution is git gud.

Just run to Hyrule Castle, loot whatever you can before you get one shot then backout. Finding weaponry isn't the problem; finding the space for it even after full upgrades from Hestu is. You can find all 900 korok seeds and spend them all on upgrades and you still won't have enough space.

Do I keep my Guardian Battle Axe++ or do I trade it for a Flameblade? so on and so forth.
So did you find anything that never breaks?

The weapons break too quickly. It's one of the few annoying things about the game. The short lifespan of the weapons is very unrealistic. Even an azz crappy weapon wouldn't break after a few dozen uses in real life. I understand that nintendo wanted to encourage players to use a wide variety of weapons, but the weapons breaking mechanic forces you to do that. Its very ironic that a game that is supposedly all about freedom forces you to use weapons you dont want to use. Why can't I pick a few weapons I like and just stick with those?

I've watched hours and hours of gameplay and virtually every weapon breaks after a battle or two. Ironically, I have yet to see a shield break in all the gameplay videos I have watched. Go figure...

Last edited by a moderator:

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I have had plenty of Shields break on me. Early on in the game I thought I had to beat a guardian outside a shrine and I used every weapon I had on it until it broke and barely dented it's hp so I had to go weapon less to restock. I find it frustrating having to switch weapon midway through a battle but it's still an awesome game :D

I have had plenty of Shields break on me. Early on in the game I thought I had to beat a guardian outside a shrine and I used every weapon I had on it until it broke and barely dented it's hp so I had to go weapon less to restock. I find it frustrating having to switch weapon midway through a battle but it's still an awesome game :D
Well, correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't most of the shields early in the game wooden or the rusty shield? I haven't seen any of the nicer metal shields break yet.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I don't have any experience with the metal ones so I don't know if they break or not but the post I was replying to didn't specify the type of shield

The weapons break too quickly.
That the whole point. You need to not think of the weapons as weapons and more as a resource. When you shop you trade rupees for goods. Are you getting good value for your rupees. The same thought needs to be applied to weapons.

Should you kill everything in the game that you see? No.
If you kill everything that moves you will run out of weapons fast. You need to think, what is this weapon worth? Is it worth 20 weak moblins dead or is it worth a fat Lizfols dead who has a nice weapon. You are in reality trading your weapon for the loot you get what you kill. You need to choose what you kill with what weapon to make sure you get value from your weapons.

I save the better weapons for anything that has a good weapon also so I trade well. Good weapon (when it breaks) for a new good weapon. The onle exception is the torch and the paln frond. I only use the torch as a torch to burn things and palm frond as a wind leaf. I even ditched the axe as I only ever chopped down a single tree in the game.

Weapons are a resource in this game, just as health is. Each hit from an enemy that does not one shot you is worth so much food to heal back. And as such each weapon has a value of what loot you get from the kills with it before it breaks.

Breath of the Wild has 4 resources. Rupees, hearts, weapons and collectables you sell or cook into food. This game is totally about resource management.
The complainers fail to understand this.

Well, correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't most of the shields early in the game wooden or the rusty shield? I haven't seen any of the nicer metal shields break yet.
They do break. Some of the bigger enemies can break them after a few hits. I have had a metal one break on me. In saying that, you can just play the game Bloodborne or Skyward Sword style. As in with dodging totally and not using the shield. That's what I do. I just use the shield as a back up from a failed dodge. Helps the shields last a lot longer.

Is it an easy to get spear?
Yes but it's just better to manage what you get and practice skill with all types of weapons. So you can use anything you find.

I saw lots of different bows, what makes them different and which do you think is the best you've used?
Mostly just the damage output. It's the arrows that do different things.

Last edited:
That the whole point. You need to not think of the weapons as weapons and more as a resource. When you shop you trade rupees for goods. Are you getting good value for your rupees. The same thought needs to be applied to weapons.

If you kill everything that moves you will run out of weapons fast. You need to think, what is this weapon worth? Is it worth 20 weak moblins dead or is it worth a fat Lizfols dead who has a nice weapon. You are in reality trading your weapon for the loot you get what you kill. You need to choose what you kill with what weapon to make sure you get value from your weapons.

I save the better weapons for anything that has a good weapon also so I trade well. Good weapon (when it breaks) for a new good weapon. The onle exception is the torch and the paln frond. I only use the torch as a torch to burn things and palm frond as a wind leaf. I even ditched the axe as I only ever chopped down a single tree in the game.

Weapons are a resource in this game, just as health is. Each hit from an enemy that does not one shot you is worth so much food to heal back. And as such each weapon has a value of what loot you get from the kills with it before it breaks.

Breath of the Wild has 4 resources. Rupees, hearts, weapons and collectables you sell or cook into food. This game is totally about resource management.

They do break. Some of the bigger enemies can break them after a few hits. I have had a metal one break on me. In saying that, you can just play the game Bloodborne or Skyward Sword style. As in with dodging totally and not using the shield. That's what I do. I just use the shield as a back up from a failed dodge. Helps the shields last a lot longer.

Yes but it's just better to manage what you get and practice skill with all types of weapons. So you can use anything you find.

No,
I understand that perfectly and still don't like it. For one, it is totally unrealistic to have swords breaking after a few uses. It's also very annoying. Aonuma said they put the weapons breaking mechanic in the game to encourage players to experiment with a wide variety of weapons. In reality, that mechanic forces players to use different weapons. As if players wouldn't have tried out different weapons anyways without them breaking every 10 seconds! Even the special weapons like Urbosa's sword break quickly. The weapons breaking mechanic was a terrible idea. I hope they never do that again.
You mentioned Skyward Sword's shields breaking easily. I used my shields extensively in that game and they rarely broke. The only exception was the wooden shield at the beginning. The metal shields you get later in that game are very sturdy. Imo, the shield breaking mechanic was executed perfectly in that game.

Last edited:

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake

This is a bit arrogant. I for one totally understand and I think the weapons break too easily. I've beaten 2 dungeons and most my **** still hovers around 20-30 because any time I get something good it's gone after not very long. People are allowed to have complaints about a game.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This is a bit arrogant. I for one totally understand and I think the weapons break too easily. I've beaten 2 dungeons and most my **** still hovers around 20-30 because any time I get something good it's gone after not very long. People are allowed to have complaints about a game.
Then explore Hyrule Castle and farm EoDs. The tools are there, noobs just don't use them. Champions do, however.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Then explore Hyrule Castle and farm EoDs. The tools are there, noobs just don't use them. Champions do, however.
Yeah I'm aware there are workarounds to my issues with the game. But I'd rather there be no issues to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom