• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spirit Tracks: Very Impressed!(Spoiler Alert!)

C

Chancellor Cole

I like Spirit Tracks for a lot of reasons, the music, the plot, the gameplay, and the characters (most Chancellor Cole)!! :D I find the game to be one of the best games ever to be made!!
:triforce:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
Although I'm thrilled that the bosses got more difficult, this, right there, is still a problem.

No matter what the boss looks like or how it attacks, one thing remains the same: The weapon you use. If you know what weapon to use then it's a matter of seconds until you get the hang of it. I don't like that. At all.

I feel that it's really pulling at the bosses difficulty factor by a huge degree.

This is true. But aren't all bosses from all Zelda games like that? It would be good if they could change it somehow so that it is less obvious but I'm not sure how Nintendo could do that. Despite this, like I said, I do like how each item is matched to a boss. But that makes it even easier so is it even a good thing at all? I suppose it depends on whether you want it to be easy or not. I think Zelda has reached a younger audience though so maybe they have to balance the difficulty a bit. My sister attempted Spirit Tracks but being herself she kind of freaked out trying to get Zelda out of the castle because the guards "creeped her out." But most people her age like ST and can/could play it.

Peace Of Heart

Piece of Heart Collector
This is true. But aren't all bosses from all Zelda games like that? It would be good if they could change it somehow so that it is less obvious but I'm not sure how Nintendo could do that. Despite this, like I said, I do like how each item is matched to a boss. But that makes it even easier so is it even a good thing at all? I suppose it depends on whether you want it to be easy or not. I think Zelda has reached a younger audience though so maybe they have to balance the difficulty a bit. My sister attempted Spirit Tracks but being herself she kind of freaked out trying to get Zelda out of the castle because the guards "creeped her out." But most people her age like ST and can/could play it.

Yeah sorry that's what I meant. Every boss in the Zelda series are only/mostly killed with the weapon you find in the dungeon where they lurk. It makes the battle way too easy. I'll edit that into the original post.

Edit: Ok, I guess I can't edit my original post anymore lol. Oh well.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I haven't completed the game yet, but I'm at the Desert Temple (I'm guessing I'm near the end) and quite frankly, the game has stunned me at every turn. I found Phantom Hourglass monotonous and boring and actually had to stop playing, in spite of its connection to The Wind Waker, a game I loved. Spirit Tracks, on the other hand, is vibrant, huge, and packed with entertaining sidequests, as any Zelda game should be. I also appreciate that it brought back the spirit of adventure which was so vital to The Wind Waker. Since I've played Okami, I've felt a bit unfulfilled by Zelda because I've been more aware of its shortcomings. With its sidequest focus and expanded overworld, Spirit Tracks actually accounted for many of my complaints, much as The Minish Cap did a couple of years before.

I was glad to see the series explore new territory as well, something that's necessary to keep the games fresh. The story is actually riveting, and it's nice to see Zelda herself play a more prominent role. What's interesting to me is the contrast between this and Twilight Princess--while the latest console release ranks as my least favorite Zelda game of all time, both The Minish Cap and Spirit Tracks captured everything that drew me to the franchise in the first place back in '98. While I don't believe Nintendo has yet topped Ocarina of Time or The Wind Waker, the fact is that they don't have to. I will be content to see them continue to release masterpieces like Spirit Tracks for as long as I live and creatively push the gameplay and aesthetic boundaries of the franchise.

I'm disappointed that this game was not well-received by the Zelda fanbase. It had a compelling story, an epic location, dozens of sidequests, vibrant towns (something most Zelda games lack!), challenging and rewarding gameplay, creative use of items (the whip's a new favorite), and a pitch-perfect visual style. What more could you ask for? Nintendo should be applauded, rather than berated, for its daring new ideas and brilliant approach to them, as well as its refinement of classic elements.

Last edited:

butterbiscuit

- Do Not Eat -
Ehh, I have to disagree with you. I found the game far too easy, I beat it in a week.
The only parts I found challenging was one puzzle in the Tower of Spirits and the game to get to the Dark Link special boss. I'm not saying that I didn't like the game, I loved it as I do all Zelda games, but it was lacking in comparison to other handheld Zelda games.

Hanyou

didn't build that
What are those dozens of sidequests you keep mentioning? A couple of rabbits, a couple of force gems... am I missing anything here?

Literally every time I entered a new town, there was someone asking to be ferried somewhere else. Many of these sidequests involved increasingly challenging routes with increasingly difficult obstacles. In addition, there are several minigames (which I would count as sidequests)--the arrow mini-game, the "cave of ordeals" of sorts in Castle Town, the whip minigame, etc. Bringing new items to old locations would almost always yield something new, and the overworld changed as you got more force gems--meaning more locations to explore.

Depending upon your definition, they might not all be sidequests per se, but it certainly offered more than most Zelda games. It did not have as compelling a mechanic as The Minish Cap (kinstones were ingenious), or as open an overworld as The Wind Waker, or as tight a design as Majora's Mask--but it struck the right balance in terms of side-material. Also, unlocking the dungeons often involved very different techniques. They weren't sidequests, but they had the same feel and kept the game from getting monotonous. Also, outside of the rabbits and the force gems (simply citing force gems deceptively hides the implications of the quests--there are a lot of them, and they also affect the environments of the specific towns and overworlds), there were stamps which forced you to explore each "island." There was also treasure hunting; rupees were actually useful in this game, so being on constant lookout for chests and the like was rewarding.

Ehh, I have to disagree with you. I found the game far too easy, I beat it in a week.
The only parts I found challenging was one puzzle in the Tower of Spirits and the game to get to the Dark Link special boss. I'm not saying that I didn't like the game, I loved it as I do all Zelda games, but it was lacking in comparison to other handheld Zelda games.

"Too easy" simply isn't something I'm willing to hold against a game. Nintendo's released quality difficult titles--see any of the recent platformers on the Wii--as well as easy games that still gave you your money's worth simply because of their scope (The Wind Waker). So long as a game is fun and involving, difficulty shouldn't matter.

In defense of Spirit Tracks, however, I would argue that it actually was on the harder side of things, but, outside of the ill-conceived Tower of Spirits, rarely bordered on frustration. The second boss took me a good number of tries to beat, and I still haven't mastered it. Puzzles make full use of the touch screen because they require you to remember information from earlier in the dungeon. And even common enemies pose a consistent threat because of environmental designs that have you navigating tight spaces. All of this require skill on the player's part. I'm not great at video games, but it's possible that, if it gave you very little trouble, you are.

Most reviews I've read mentioned 10 - 20 hours of gameplay, and in my estimation, it will probably take me about 20 just to get the main quest done. That's not a week's worth of work by any account. I've played my file over the course of several months, in relative moderation with short bursts, and like I said, I'm only on the desert dungeon. Again, it's possible you're much more skillful than I am; however, this isn't something to hold against the game, as it's probably the lengthiest of the handheld titles I've played.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom