• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Some People Might As Well Play Something Different

A lot of people have been complaining that the traditional zelda formula is getting old and boring.

well i would love to see new things and a few things being changed, but some people want the whole thing to be completely different, they complain about the dungeons, the weapons, the storyline and the characters.

well isnt that what makes zelda zelda? If these people want that much changed they might as well play something different, whats quite annoying about this is that nintendo seems to be taking action towards this, I remember them saying that the this game will be different. ok well how different. personailly i thought twilight princess and majoras mask had a perfect number of changes and a great amount of new weapons. But it seems like a few people want to see dungeons removed, sidequests removed and the storyline to not include a hero. we may as well remove link, zelda and ganondorf and not even call the game the legend of zelda.

does anybody agree with me here?

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I think some of the things you called out there were a bit drastic.
Every game needs some sort of hero, especially this one which has had the same hero for ever game in the series.
To be honest, if people come to a Zelda forum and complain that the whole game should be changed then they have either had bad experiences with Zelda games ( which is never the case ) or are not actually Zelda fans and thus should not be taken seriously at all.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
No, I don't agree. I think you don't understand what we're saying. We don't want them to change EVERYTHING, as in getting rid of dungeons, sidequests, and the playable character.

When people say they're tired of the traditional formula, they're usually talking about the lack of new twists or innovations. The thing you seem to forget is that the Zelda series has been known for innovation, openness, and putting a new spin on an old idea.

The original LoZ was one of the games that established the possibilities that open up with a home console. It had a lot of exploration and similar elements.

AoL was largely experimental, but it brought a lot of new ideas to the table. You find towns, Dark Link, and Magic. It also had several ideas that weren't kept, like experience points.

ALttP went back to the old LoZ formula a little bit, but it made a clear effort to enhance it. It also marked the introduction of several new items, an actual story, and somewhat more interesting characters. Not to mention more sidequests.

LA was basically the same as ALttP.

OoT built on ALttP. It moved the game to 3D, told the story with a bit more depth, and introduced several new kinds of puzzles. It also brought us things like optional dungeons, magical songs to be learned, Great Fairy upgrades, longer sidequests with better rewards, Gold Skulltulas, and a horse for transporation.

MM was another experimental game. They made the game focus mostly on sidequests, and weaved an entire story around them. They introduced transformation masks, a banking system, and a fairly intricate time system that allowed NPCs to follow rather specific schedules. The time restart element allowed them to keep the repetition believable, and prevent you from missing things just because you didn't notice them the first time around.

OoX was similar to LA, but it incorporated a lot of elements from OoT and ALttP that the Game Boy games had previously lacked.

In WW, they introduced a new Anime-esque graphical style, and brought us the sailing dynamic in an attempt to bring back some of the exploration possibilities we had in the original LoZ. They also brought us a feature that allowed Link to disarm enemies and use timed hits in order to do more damage (which is one of my favorite things about the game).

FSA was yet another experimental game. They revert to a 2D style, but give you control of four Links. They also replace the overworld with a map similar to Super Mario World. They introduce a requirement to get a certain number of Force Gems each level, as well as requiring you to find all your items again on each level.

MC was basically the same as ALttP with one feature from FSA. The only noteworthy ideas here are the ability to switch on/off Armos, shrinking down, learning sword techniques, and Kinstone fusing.

TP was basically the same as OoT, adding only Horseback combat, the five-piece Heart Container, and a few new items. In fact, it takes AWAY several things, like the Magic meter, Great Fairy upgrades, optional dungeons (unless you count the Cave of Ordeals), Gold Skulltulas, the ability to do dungeons out of order, and the idea of sidequests bringing in anything other than a heart piece. The story is played very straight, and there are no twists or surprises. You always get the default equipment at a predefined time, and are expected to be satisfied with that. It's a step backwards.

PH doesn't really add anything except a new way to explore oceans, and touch screen controls.

I haven't played ST, but I hear that it's basically the same as PH.

So, if anything... the Zelda series has been far more stagnant than usual since FSA! It's long overdue for another game with a new twist.

No, I don't agree. I think you don't understand what we're saying. We don't want them to change EVERYTHING, as in getting rid of dungeons, sidequests, and the playable character.

When people say they're tired of the traditional formula, they're usually talking about the lack of new twists or innovations. The thing you seem to forget is that the Zelda series has been known for innovation, openness, and putting a new spin on an old idea.

The original LoZ was one of the games that established the possibilities that open up with a home console. It had a lot of exploration and similar elements.

AoL was largely experimental, but it brought a lot of new ideas to the table. You find towns, Dark Link, and Magic. It also had several ideas that weren't kept, like experience points.

ALttP went back to the old LoZ formula a little bit, but it made a clear effort to enhance it. It also marked the introduction of several new items, an actual story, and somewhat more interesting characters. Not to mention more sidequests.

LA was basically the same as ALttP.

OoT built on ALttP. It moved the game to 3D, told the story with a bit more depth, and introduced several new kinds of puzzles. It also brought us things like optional dungeons, magical songs to be learned, Great Fairy upgrades, longer sidequests with better rewards, Gold Skulltulas, and a horse for transporation.

MM was another experimental game. They made the game focus mostly on sidequests, and weaved an entire story around them. They introduced transformation masks, a banking system, and a fairly intricate time system that allowed NPCs to follow rather specific schedules. The time restart element allowed them to keep the repetition believable, and prevent you from missing things just because you didn't notice them the first time around.

OoX was similar to LA, but it incorporated a lot of elements from OoT and ALttP that the Game Boy games had previously lacked.

In WW, they introduced a new Anime-esque graphical style, and brought us the sailing dynamic in an attempt to bring back some of the exploration possibilities we had in the original LoZ. They also brought us a feature that allowed Link to disarm enemies and use timed hits in order to do more damage (which is one of my favorite things about the game).

FSA was yet another experimental game. They revert to a 2D style, but give you control of four Links. They also replace the overworld with a map similar to Super Mario World. They introduce a requirement to get a certain number of Force Gems each level, as well as requiring you to find all your items again on each level.

MC was basically the same as ALttP with one feature from FSA. The only noteworthy ideas here are the ability to switch on/off Armos, shrinking down, learning sword techniques, and Kinstone fusing.

TP was basically the same as OoT, adding only Horseback combat, the five-piece Heart Container, and a few new items. In fact, it takes AWAY several things, like the Magic meter, Great Fairy upgrades, optional dungeons (unless you count the Cave of Ordeals), Gold Skulltulas, the ability to do dungeons out of order, and the idea of sidequests bringing in anything other than a heart piece. The story is played very straight, and there are no twists or surprises. You always get the default equipment at a predefined time, and are expected to be satisfied with that. It's a step backwards.

PH doesn't really add anything except a new way to explore oceans, and touch screen controls.

I haven't played ST, but I hear that it's basically the same as PH.

So, if anything... the Zelda series has been far more stagnant than usual since FSA! It's long overdue for another game with a new twist.

i agree with you a bit, but you seemed to have misunderstood my point, i guess i didnt word it properly.

a lot of people seem to be complaining that they are getting bored of the dungeons and puzzle solving and are bored of link being the hero of XXXX and want all that to be changed, they arent on this forum, theyre mainly on ign and the triforce thingy place(cant remember the name of that website).

i really want to see another twist with this new game but what i dont want nintendo to do is completely change the whole game and completely take away that zelda feeling from it

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
I actually agree with you, I get annoyed when people complain about how different it should be and how most of them are 'too similar',
Well, its called a franchise, of course they're going to be similar.

Zelda didn't get to where it is today by being something else, do you know what I mean?

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
i agree with you a bit, but you seemed to have misunderstood my point, i guess i didnt word it properly.

a lot of people seem to be complaining that they are getting bored of the dungeons and puzzle solving and are bored of link being the hero of XXXX and want all that to be changed, they arent on this forum, theyre mainly on ign and the triforce thingy place(cant remember the name of that website).

i really want to see another twist with this new game but what i dont want nintendo to do is completely change the whole game and completely take away that zelda feeling from it

Oh! I did misunderstand you. Mostly I've never heard of anyone saying that, but in that case... yeah, I suppose I agree. I don't really see why anyone would play Zelda if they didn't like dungeons and puzzle-solving. That's what most people expect from Zelda. If you get tired of that, there's always the Mario games, or even the Metroid games (another Nintendo series I personally like).

Sorry about the nerd rage... I'm just a fan of innovation and new ideas, and I'm used to having to whine at people who want to keep everything exactly the same.

If you thought this through before trying to unleash the hurt on TP you would realise the following:

The Great Fairy upgrades may be gone but that's because the Magic Bar is missing and therefore these upgrades have been replaced by the 7 Hidden Skills...If I remember correctly that it a similar amount the amount of the Great Fairy Upgrades.

The Gold Skulltula's may have been replaced but they have been replaced by the 60 Poe Souls, although there may be 40 less Poe Souls than Gold Skulltula tokens...the fact is it's still there.

To be honest....who cares if you have to do the order of temples in a certain way, at least you get to play through them. Even then in OoT you can only really do 2 temples in a different order without hacking the game.

You may get the same equipment but TP brought us the Shard of Twilight...aka, that item that allow's Link to become a Wolf.

I was never surprised by several Zelda games including OoT, PH, MM, LoZ and TP itself...only a few minor ones.

I do however disagree with the initial post in this thread, I don't think many people would want the Temples or Dungeons removed...that would leave Link wandering around aimlessly knowing he's destined to fail, like that games sales. It's just some people want to see more changes than Nintendo's standard plot for this series, they have slowly changed with things like not being able to actually collect the triforce any more. This is the kind of change I think people want to see more of every now and then.

Last edited:

Austin

Austin
I can see what you're getting at. I will say Ninento isn't stupid. If they got rid of dungeons, sidequests, etc. It wouldn't be Zelda. Thr change I would like to see is more. Not removing what makes Zelda, but give it more.

I'll use rune factory as an example. It is a game based off harvest moon, a farming game. Rune factory didn't get rid of farming, but added dungeon stuff to the game. That's what I would like to see. Not farming, but something Zelda like. Nintnedo should surpise and excite at the same time.

However, I don't blame you to be cautionary. They've done some crazy stuff before. Look at Mario. They've done some crazy stuff before. There is nothing stopping them from doing that with Zelda. I hope they don't do something crazy.

I can see what you're getting at. I will say Ninento isn't stupid. If they got rid of dungeons, sidequests, etc. It wouldn't be Zelda. Thr change I would like to see is more. Not removing what makes Zelda, but give it more.

I'll use rune factory as an example. It is a game based off harvest moon, a farming game. Rune factory didn't get rid of farming, but added dungeon stuff to the game. That's what I would like to see. Not farming, but something Zelda like. Nintnedo should surpise and excite at the same time.

However, I don't blame you to be cautionary. They've done some crazy stuff before. Look at Mario. They've done some crazy stuff before. There is nothing stopping them from doing that with Zelda. I hope they don't do something crazy.

yh thats what i like about zelda, its not thrown about, they take care of it and yes they do throw mario about (mario is missing, marios time machine, super mario bros 2 which is a clone of another game) they would never do that with zelda, if they made a zelda game and it turns out to be bad, they cancel it which i like. when they release a zelda game they make sure its amazing, sure some people didnt like phantom hourglass or whatever but most people would agree theyre great games and both got great ratings (i dunno about gamespots opinon on phantom hourglass being better than majoras mask and twilight princess but whatver)

i just hope that this game doesnt become the first bad zelda game all because people complained too much about zelda getting too old. on the other hand i trust nintendo cos like i said, when they release a zelda game they make sure its amazing and this time reggie said they wont release the game till its "perfect" i love the sound of that.

when they scared the crap out of everyone with the wind waker trailer and everyone thought theyre destroying zelda, nintendo proved everyone wrong.
when people were worried that the wii twilight princess controls would suck, nintendo proved most people wrong. (personally i thought the controls were better on the wii than the gamecube and ive played both)
im sure theyll do it again.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Words about the Zelda series and topic.

Agreed Athenian. Zelda needs a new twist and that's what Nintendo seems to be trying to do with ZW. Honestly though, however I do believe there are some people that think Zelda should be changed as Draggy said what with no dungeons, no sidequests, and NO LINK! Honestly I find that very difficult! That's what makes Zelda Zelda. And also take games like OoT, MM, WW, and LoZ for example. If they had no sidequests they'd be rather dull and short games. And the thing about sidequests is that THEY'RE OPTIONAL! If you don't want to do them then don't. If they had no dungeons either they'd be even shorter and less fun. If there was no Link to play as, then we don't have a Zelda game. It's that simple. So in that sense, I agree that they should play something different like Final Fantasy or WoW.

Personally, I'm not really worried about Zelda Wii possibly being a bad game because Nintendo, as a game producer, is simply genious (although I hate Nintendo as a merchandise company). This franchise is in the right hands. ;)

By the way, it's true. Sometimes I see people complaining about the most elemental Zelda characteristics.
When that happens, I always think:
"WTF? Dude, do you really like Zelda? :?"

Ikana

Trollkastel
I don't even know why people want Zelda to change drastically do they even like Zelda anymore.I not going to worry much for the next Zelda game because Nintendo isn't stupid and will not ruin one of their best series.Then if they do then I won't even like Nintendo anymore because Zelda is my favorite out of their series.

I don't even know why people want Zelda to change drastically do they even like Zelda anymore.I not going to worry much for the next Zelda game because Nintendo isn't stupid and will not ruin one of their best series.Then if they do then I won't even like Nintendo anymore because Zelda is my favorite out of their series.

it seems like theyre putting do much time and money into this that if it sucks theyre doomed, the same way E.T destroyed atari.

however its nintendo and im sure theyll do it right

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
I think the Zelda formula has constantly been evolving and changing. each game has differences in game play (even OoX!) what keeps up coming back to the Zelda series is our curiosity. what will be different this time? and will i like it? we ask ourselves these questions before we could ever know the answer and in the anticipation we forget that no matter what happens we will be seeing a bit of the old and a lot of the new. I dont think anyone should stop playing the series. in fact i disagree, if anything the continued originality of each new game will draw more people to play zelda and those who already know the series well will continue to play although we may grumble on occasion. But no matter what the Zelda formula will continue to capture our hearts lol because we want to see whats new in the realms of hyrule.

LozzyKate

Ask Me Why I Love The Photoshops
Okay, don't always go by others opinions on awesome things! The Legend of Zelda has been trying to change more so than you would actually think. There are rumors that Zelda Wii will be the sequel to MM. They are breaking away from the normal run-through of the games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom