• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild So...what do you think so far?

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
There is literally never a reason to run and jump....you gain no benefits from doing so.

A guardian about to blast you into oblivion? Git good and parry the laser. Or even better, grab Revali's Bow and knock an Ancient Arrow into its eye.

Trying to jump from cryosis block to cryosis block? Link auto climbs in water.

Paragliding from spot A to spot B? Regularly climb and properly make use of climb-jumping (hint: you're not supposed to use it except to move faster when you know you can make it, and as a last resort when your stamina is in the red).

This complaint about controls sounds arbitrary asf but maybe you guys are plYing on the snatch instead of Wii U?
Wow I sure love using workarounds instead of just being able to do what I want to do. I'm playing it on the Wii U, and I find the button mapping to be relatively ****ty.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wait you can do that?!?!
Absolutely. Timing is strict but it is easy to learn.practice inside i think its the cryosis shrine on great plateaun there are midget laser guardians that dont do too much dmg. The timing for the midget guardians is the same as the stationary turrets. The only ones you have to be careful about are the mobile legged ones because they actively close the distance while locking on. And dying is of no real consequence since shrines load really quickly.

Wow I sure love using workarounds instead of just being able to do what I want to do. I'm playing it on the Wii U, and I find the button mapping to be relatively ****ty.
What you want to do has no consequence on the game so what's the point of wanting to do it? Hell even **** like shield surfing is mostly useless, but it has greater utility than a running jump could ever have.

Jamie

Absolutely. Timing is strict but it is easy to learn.practice inside i think its the cryosis shrine on great plateaun there are midget laser guardians that dont do too much dmg. The timing for the midget guardians is the same as the stationary turrets. The only ones you have to be careful about are the mobile legged ones because they actively close the distance while locking on. And dying is of no real consequence since shrines load really quickly.

What you want to do has no consequence on the game so what's the point of wanting to do it? Hell even **** like shield surfing is mostly useless, but it has greater utility than a running jump could ever have.
I find it useful for gliding. I don't want to do workarounds for that.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~

Even worse on the Switch. Those controllers were not designed with ergonomics in mind.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's useless for gliding and wastes more stamina than simply jumping off and gliding. Again it has no utility, so why bother with it? The distance you gain is not enough to actively dodge any enemy attack that you otherwise would not have dodged. The running beforehand drains stamina that is better used for climbing, and the IRL movement to do the jump if you donxt play claw actually drainz the thumb. So again...why bother?

Jamie

It's useless for gliding and wastes more stamina than simply jumping off and gliding. Again it has no utility, so why bother with it? The distance you gain is not enough to actively dodge any enemy attack that you otherwise would not have dodged. The running beforehand drains stamina that is better used for climbing, and the IRL movement to do the jump if you donxt play claw actually drainz the thumb. So again...why bother?
So I can gain extra distance going from point a to point b, means I don't need to be as precise in puzzles.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
Personally I've never found reason to jump befire gliding because it means less stamina for the glide. But to be honest, it would have felt more natural if set up like original Mario games. That said, I don't mind where jump is placed, mostly because skyrim.

Jamie

Personally I've never found reason to jump befire gliding because it means less stamina for the glide. But to be honest, it would have felt more natural if set up like original Mario games. That said, I don't mind where jump is placed, mostly because skyrim.
What if I need extra height? I want extra height for certain jumps. Not to mention the jump button just isn't where my hand sits. I don't like it.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
What if I need extra height? I want extra height for certain jumps. Not to mention the jump button just isn't where my hand sits. I don't like it.
You don't height from run jumping, you gain height by climb jumping and jumping off ohysically higher structures or using Revali's Gale.

Jamie

You don't height from run jumping, you gain height by climb jumping and jumping off ohysically higher structures or using Revali's Gale.
Listen I don't see why I need to explain some inherent practical purpose of an action that is common in video games. What if I'm already running, and just want to ****ing jump, and then run afterwards without moving my goddamn hand? Why does it matter what my reasoning for it is? Why does it allow you to run jump if I need to weirdly place my hand to do it? I don't get why you're getting so defensive over a clearly bad decision. Why not just put jump on A? Would make a hell of a lot more sense.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Listen I don't see why I need to explain some inherent practical purpose of an action that is common in video games.
Because the action has no practical purpose in this video game so I see no reason why you want to perform it. lol

EDIT:
Here's a video showing why it's useless just from a distance gained vs stamina lost POV:

Last edited:

Jamie

Because the action has no practical purpose in this video game so I see no reason why you want to perform it. lol

EDIT:
Here's a video showing why it's useless just from a distance gained vs stamina lost POV:

Who cares why? It makes more sense to have it as the A button.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Yeah, running and jumping buttons should have been diagonal from each other, just like in Mario games. Whenever I want to charge an enemy and lead in with a jump attack, it feels so unnatural to leap to the top or bottom of the controller just to jump. I played all day yesterday and I'm still not used to it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Had a few hours to play before work today, so finally got around to shield-surfing, and a minor battle on the plateau, which was cool.

I have now left the Plateau and just chose a direction to go. Done one shrine so far, and man, figuring out how to finish it was a challenge, but thankfully I found a way to do it in the end. Want to try taming a horse, but man, those buggers run before I have a chance to sneak close enough to do anything. Not sure if I'm gonna get much time to play tomorrow since Sundays are family skype time, and I still have another night shift to do, but Monday for sure.

I wasn't initially keen on voice acting being added to the game, and I'm not that fond of the way Zelda is voiced. But apart from that, I'm good with it being added.

I do love how open and free I am to get around the place, it really puts me in the mood to go around exploring :)

The lack of gamepad features bugs me, though, it just feels like they downgraded what could have been so that the Wii U version wouldn't end up becoming better than the Switch version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom