• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Wasn't the First to Have Interesting Shop Keepers You Know

It just seems like people are giving SS credit for having the most integrating shop keepers, but wasn't Majora's Mask the first? The Curiosity Shop guy, by day he worked at a normal place by night he was running a black market. The part time worker was trying to steal rupees from a bird, and did you know the bomb shop owner and his wife were trying to build a rocket to the moon? And the mini game owners crack me up! I love how they yell at you and tell you to leave when you beat the games three days in a row. XD
I thought the shop keepers in SS were just weird, and not in a good way. The guy who sells the sheilds is a freak who hates everybody and lives with his mom. The potion shop lady is really masculine and has a feminine husband who takes care of the baby (that should be her job) and probably does all the house work. The fortune teller *shudder* I avoided him at all costs. I liked Peatrice, though. I confessed my love to her. ;) But the item upgrade guy looked too much like Gonzo from Wind Waker to me.
MM has way more interesting shop keepers than SS.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Of course Skyward Sword wasn't the first to have interesting shop keepers. Despite the Bazaar (OoT) dude not having much personality, I always thought him interesting. But you know, since SS is a new 3D Zelda, a good deal of people *will* praise it. It's part of the neo Zelda fan cycle, lol.

That isn't to say SS doesn't have interesting shop keepers. It's just that it wasn't the first.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
I think people are praising the Bazaar system more than they are the shopkeepers. But still, they're a colorful and unique bunch. I think that the entire town of Skyloft was meant to resemble Majora's Mask when it came to sidequests and characters.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I'll be honest. By the end of the game I wanted to kill Rupin just to wipe that smug grin off his face. I don't want to sit through a lot of useless dialog just to refill my quivers and/or check the price on something.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
@ The OP

You say "people are giving SS credit for having the most integrating shop keepers, but wasn't Majora's Mask the first?", sure, Majora's Mask had interesting shop keepers, but no one is saying that Skyward Sword was the first game to have them.

You are comparing Apples (superlative of interestingness) and oranges (inovativness)

*I know interstingness and inovativness aren't words*

Even if they were more interesting than the shopkeepers of earlier games, Skyward Swords Shopkeepers were more annoying if anything. Simply browsing their shops required going through enormous amounts of unneeded dialogue, I found buying potions to be particularly obnoxious. I will also say that having bigger personalities does not necessarily makes the shop keepers more interesting. As far as interesting shopkeepers go, I would say that Majora's Mask was superior, especially when it came to the Curiosity Shop. I will say that personally, as far as interesting shopkeepers go, I am a big fan of Malo from Twilight Princess, even though he as a character was not very interesting, it was very interesting to see how he comes to start creating his shop and later seeing firsthand, even getting involved in, the expansion of his enterprise into Hyrule Castle town.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Surely what you class as an interesting shopkeeper is subjective?
SS was probably the first game where the shopkeepers had their own personalities.
That's pretty much all I have to say and I'm not even sure this will stay open as a thread because I don't see how it's a discussion point... you're not asking if people thought SS had the most interesting shopkeepers, you're just stating an opinion of your own.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
The potion shop lady is really masculine and has a feminine husband who takes care of the baby (that should be her job) and probably does all the house work.
Who says girls can't be tough, and guys can't take care of babies? That statement is almost as bad as those sexist kitchen jokes we all hate so much.

I liked the SS merchants, but the MM ones sound awesome too. I have yet to play it...and about Rupin being a freak who lives with his mom: Gondo lives with his mom. I think that lady is Rupin's wife, but I'm not sure. Gondo = item upgrader, Rupin = shield seller. Peatrice...let's just say I broke her heart. I felt bad, but I didn't want Link to cheat on Zelda. If he ended up with Peatrice, that would ruin the head canon I have about the Hyrule royalty. Take the goddess Hylia, reincarnated as a mortal, and the chosen hero...then let them have some sexy time, and the resulting offspring is the first prince or princess of Hyrule. That's a powerful bloodline. Not only that, but just look at them! They don't act like just friends, and they're adorable together.

But I rambled. This thread is about shopkeepers. Derp...

Gondo lives with his mom.

Are you sure that was his mom? Because I could never tell if that was a man or a woman.

Who says girls can't be tough, and guys can't take care of babies? That statement is almost as bad as those sexist kitchen jokes we all hate so much.

oh ok yeah,so all women are only good for taking care of babies and housework
hehehe,how sexist

You know I wasn't being sexist. I was talking about how it seems like she NEVER takes care of the baby and her husband probably does ALL the house work. She's just as bad as other husbands who never help their wives.

Oh, and Dragoncat, LinkXZelda is impossible. If the first Link and Zelda got together, it would mean all the other Links and Zeldas were related to eachother and Link would be royalty, and we know none of the Links and Zeldas are related to eachother and we know none of the Links are royalty.

Last edited:

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
I don't think the credit goes to the shopkeepers but rather to the shop style in this game. You had to go to it more often and they were all close to eachother and there were other different things to do in them like upgrading sheilds and potions.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Are you sure that was his mom? Because I could never tell if that was a man or a woman.

You know I wasn't being sexist. I was talking about how it seems like she NEVER takes care of the baby and her husband probably does ALL the house work. She's just as bad as other husbands who never help their wives.

Oh, and Dragoncat, LinkXZelda is impossible. If the first Link and Zelda got together, it would mean all the other Links and Zeldas were related to eachother and Link would be royalty, and we know none of the Links and Zeldas are related to eachother and we know none of the Links are royalty.

there's plenty of 'hints' that tells us that's his mom [ahem,Fi analysis]

and you said 'that should be her job',directly appying that taking care of babies are all women's work

and its about time someone else besides me thinks Zelink is impossible

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Well...I think they couldve started the royal bloodline anyway. All the Links just have the SPIRIT of the hero, that doesnt necessarily mean they're related to SS Link. The way I see it, SS Link hand chooses the rest of the Links after his death. Embeds the triforce of courage into them and what not. His reasoning for picking, say OoT Link, is anyone's guess, but we can't argue with him. He's the chosen hero, he can do whatever the heck he wants. Including putting the triforce of courage in a random orphan being raised by a tree, who just happens to look like him, so the orphan will be known as the hero of time.

But we can argue about this until the cows come home, so I'll finish this off by saying we can agree to disagree :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom