• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Skyward Sword Lacking That Classic Zelda Feel?

Don't get me wrong I loved Skyward Sword, I've played through it 3 and a half times already. It was a great game and very well made in my opinion.
But what I mean is Skyward Sword didn't give me that feeling that "Zelda" games always have.
I'm not entirely sure how to explain it, maybe it was because the focus world wasn't Hyrule, or Epona wasn't there, or the nostalgic music wasn't present. Or perhaps it could have been that I wasn't able to fully explore a world just more of a sky full of small islands.
What do you guys think?

I agree with you but I think different people have different definitions on what a classic Zelda feel is.
For me, the 'Zelda game feel' disappeared with OoT, when Zelda games became 3D.
Before OoT came out, I've been playing/replaying Zelda games for more than a decade, since the original.
When a 3D Zelda game came out, that 'Zelda feel' didn't quite feel like a classic Zelda game.
So 2D vs 3D factors a lot to what my 'classic zelda feel' is.

I agree with you but I think different people have different definitions on what a classic Zelda feel is.
For me, the 'Zelda game feel' disappeared with OoT, when Zelda games became 3D.
Before OoT came out, I've been playing/replaying Zelda games for more than a decade, since the original.
When a 3D Zelda game came out, that 'Zelda feel' didn't quite feel like a classic Zelda game.
So 2D vs 3D factors a lot to what my 'classic zelda feel' is.

Yes that is true, because for me as an example, A Link To The Past and Ocarina of Time both have that classic feel in my opinion.
Everyone has their own personal feelings and preferences for each video game.
That's just what makes video games so great, is that there's always something to fit every kind of player.

I can understand that this is a Zelda game, and it does follow a formula, but it felt a little offput from the rest of the series. It may be because it was a prequel, but there was something there that gave it a little feeling of being apart from the other games. But, don't get me wrong, i loved this game! I think what was missing was the feeling of adventure, or trying to figure things out, this game was mostly about answering questions, not creating new ones.

i felt a littile like that 2 but it was a like i dono about this game yet feeling

Well it isn't a classic Zelda game, so isn't going to feel classic is it?

That's not what I meant.
Even Twilight Princess had that feel for me, SS was actually the first game that felt a bit off IMO.

I can understand that this is a Zelda game, and it does follow a formula, but it felt a little offput from the rest of the series. It may be because it was a prequel, but there was something there that gave it a little feeling of being apart from the other games. But, don't get me wrong, i loved this game! I think what was missing was the feeling of adventure, or trying to figure things out, this game was mostly about answering questions, not creating new ones.

Exactly.
It was probably because it was a prequel and they've never really done anything like that.
It's always been what's happening next, not what had happened in the past.
And since it was a prequel it wouldn't have things leaking through from other games,
to give that feel of it being connected to them.

I felt like that too.It was a little to futurey to me.

I'm not sure futurey is the term since it's the game at the beginning of the timeline haha.

Last edited:
It was missing the music and there wasn't much exploration to be had in SS. I enjoyed the game to don't get me wrong but I must agree since I grew up with Alttp, OoT and MM it just seemed to be missing something. Still great game though.

MW7

Well it depends on what you mean by classic Zelda- for me it would be anything prior to Wind Waker. The series has evolved and it is very different today than it was. For me what sticks out is the relative lack of freedom compared to games like A Link to the Past. Other than a loose adherence to ALTTP's formula playing Skyward Sword doesn't feel very reminiscient of older Zelda games at least IMO. The gameplay nowadays is totally different and that's what the game designers intended.

I see why you would say Twilight Princess had a classic feel in that it had several recurring aspects of the series in it, but actually for me from a gameplay standpoint it was even farther removed from classic Zelda gameplay than Skyward Sword was.

Last edited:
Skyward Sword didn't really seem like it was missing the classic Zelda feeling for me. Lovely music, great and charming characters ( and my favorite Link and Zelda thus far ), an awesome story, and amazing music. One of my favorite soundtracks of all-time.

It felt like a Zelda game for sure, but it was different in a way. The music was a very different style, but for the most part, everything else seemed to work as a Zelda game, especially in that it was different. Twilight princess was different from other Zelda games before it, same with Windwaker before it, in that it had a more childlike appearance and....a completely different world above the one from OoT. Even OoT was "different" in that the graphics were an astronomical change from "classic" Zelda. So yeah, it's different, but so are all the other big name zelda games.
Just my thoughts. Though I see what you're saying.

There were some differences:
The dungeons were geographically smaller - Instead of constantly discovering new rooms, we found ourselves discovering new functionality within the same rooms. This was an intentional decision on the developers part that I absolutely loved.
The difficulty was a bit toned down as well, and there were plenty of hints from Fi and the Gossip Stones. A bit too much hand-holding for my preference.
The Skyward Sword world was a bit constricted, especially compared to the original NES zelda where you could literally go anywhere right from the beginning.

But, the uniqueness of this game more than makes up for it IMO. Looking forward to Zelda in HD on the Wii U :)

There were some differences:
The dungeons were geographically smaller - Instead of constantly discovering new rooms, we found ourselves discovering new functionality within the same rooms. This was an intentional decision on the developers part that I absolutely loved.
The difficulty was a bit toned down as well, and there were plenty of hints from Fi and the Gossip Stones. A bit too much hand-holding for my preference.
The Skyward Sword world was a bit constricted, especially compared to the original NES zelda where you could literally go anywhere right from the beginning.

But, the uniqueness of this game more than makes up for it IMO. Looking forward to Zelda in HD on the Wii U :)

I agree with all you say.

And I am looking forward to the WiiU Zelda possibly more than anyone haha!

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I 100% agree, this is the biggest problem I had with the game. I had to constantly remind myself that I was playing a Zelda game. The overworld could've been a big part of the problem, but something about it just made it feel non-Zelda ish. I would say that it would be the unfamiliarity with the whole area, like the new concept of living and flying around in the sky, but I didnt have a problem with the Wind Waker's Great Sea when it first came out. Skyward Sword is a fantastic game, but I would've preferred some elements in the game that are more "close to home".

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
No. Skyward Sword is nothing like a classic Zelda game, just as Miyamoto promised us. He claimed that Twilight Princess would be the last of its kind, and that statement has apparently proven itself true. How this applies to the DS games is for another topic. Yet on the issue of Skyward Sword, many things have indeed changed. First we no longer have the automated moveset of previous titles, but now we choose Link's sword motions. This certainly is not the standard gameplay that many fell in love with, and personally not the one I prefer either. While it's very fun to be in control of the sword, yeah, the classic feeling just isn't there so much, for better or worse.

Nonetheless, in accordance with Miyamoto-San's promise, the Zelda franchise is evolving into something that seems to be more immersive and engaging. Skyward Sword a mere footstep in the walk toward a vision that they're trying to see through to completion, and perfection. The classic feel might be lacking right now, but I'm sue they'll be able to incorporate it with greater ease now that they have a sense of they're aiming for, thanks to Skyward Sword.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom